Van insurance

tuktuk

Ive been looking for a van for a while now to take the bike on trackdays. Just this weekend i was doing some work on my dads van when a neighbours son pulled up and offered me his vivaro at a decent price. Had a quick compare the meerkat lastnight which came back more expensive than my car!

Is this normal for van insurance or are there better places to be looking for quotes?

I entered social domestic and pleasure only for approx 2k miles a year. Put the value of the van low, infact the insurance was more than the value i entered for that!

Only thing i can think is i went for fully comp, maybes tpft will be better?

Definately want a van as planning on a few overnight stays with tracks further afield. Had conceded to just renting vans but this popped up and its well worth it if i can insure the bugger.

I looked into getting a crew cab vivaro/Trafic/primastar and insurance was £3k+ that was with SDP+C 15,000 miles.

And I'd need it for work so would have to have business insurance but after seeing that price I never bothered looking.

I entered social domestic and pleasure only for approx 2k miles a year. Put the value of the van low, infact the insurance was more than the value i entered for that!

Only thing i can think is i went for fully comp, maybes tpft will be better?

Definately want a van as planning on a few overnight stays with tracks further afield. Had conceded to just renting vans but this popped up and its well worth it if i can insure the bugger.

Buy a van with windows in that's not registered as commercial but MPV and the tax will be cheaper too.

mine went from under £100 to over £300 .. RWD. Transit LWB. HR. 3.5t 125ps...

not all underwriters will accept your NCB off the car as suitable for the van .. ring first and ask.. Gladiator did with me..

settin the millage low can perversely put up the premium .. ask ...

not all underwriters will accept your NCB off the car as suitable for the van

I can't see how that can be if the van falls under a B category :?

You can only use NCB on one vehicle at a time can't you??

Sometimes taken into account for other vehicles, same goes for recent accidents and what not.

Yeah you can only use NCB on one vehicle at a time unless its a multi car policy

and as DRZ says they can take it in to account if you are using it on another vehicle

I recommend the policy holder / owner check with the broker before initiate any cover ...

I cannot give you the whys and wherefores ..insures tend be a law unto them selves..

I was warned and told to check out gladiator as they were one of the ones that did.. they are who I`m insured with and carried over all my NCB from the car..

I`m also lead to believe that this was a one way ticket as changing back could be just as much hassle..

.. but I suggest that you or anyone planning on buyin a Van do your own research as things like this can and do change .. caveat emptor.

There might be a way i can get the owner of my company to insure it as a business vehicle, weve been toying with the idea of a company van but it would be used very little so never bothered. If i do it this way everyone is a winner!

My sons with Swinton on his van and it was cheaper to go commercial than private with 0 ncd, not to expensive considering, about £600 I think, as for putting the bikes in the van we,ve never had any problems using just ratchet straps and the hooks that are fitted to the van, for two bikes you need to put them in opposite ways unless your talking about mx bikes then they just go straight in no probs

Theres a couple options with the insurance, either my dad insures it with me as a named driver or i get the company to insure it whichever works out best.

Looking at having 2 of these bolted down so 2 bikes can sit side by side in the van?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Wheel-Chock-17-21-wheels-BIKE-Jack-Clamp-Stand-/361143901413?hash=item5415da9ce5:g:flEAAOSw0vBUhDD4

Hey tuktuk! Disclaimer: I know nothing about these things

But I was wondering if something like this would be better as it has a bigger base plate for bolting down and doesn't stick out as much so should be easier to squeeze 2 in?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/front-stands/biketek-adjustable-wheel-chock