Need suggestions on gear...

Those gloves won't last 2 minutes in the rain, and you'll be frozen to death in them once your hands get wet + wind chill.

Oh I see... they won't be any use to me then. Down here rain is boundless...

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Any winter/waterproof-specific gloves will be fine. Goretex(?) do the best waterproofing gloves as far as I'm aware.

Anything with "summer" in the title means they're gonna be thin, real thin, and "breathable" I.e. Have holes all over them that will let unlimited amount of water in.

Those gloves won't last 2 minutes in the rain, and you'll be frozen to death in them once your hands get wet + wind chill.

Thank you.

Look for gloves with a waterproof lining , gortex or similar.

As an example.

http://www.rst-store.co.uk/rst-shadow-ii-ce-waterproof-gloves.html

Pick a supplier of your choice and google them for water proof gloves.

See here.

http://www.bikersworldstore.co.uk/all/clothing/gloves.html#%21___SID=U&product_wp=1473

But remember a waterproof lining would be better than just waterproof.

Most folks will have at least 2 pairs of gloves wet an d summer.

Hth

Blimey :shock:

Our definition of "not the largest budget" differs somewhat [emoji38]

My budget at 16 stretched to Belstaff waterproof overalls handed down from my Dad that didn't fit, a leather bikers jacket (no armour in it) and leather gauntlets from my slightly thinner uncle, a Achillies Stadium helmet with the visor on pop on fasteners from a family friend. I rode in jeans and lace up boots and my Dad gave me a bollocking every time I fell off for ripping the jeans.

I'm spending about £500 on my kids Christmas the main present being an Xbox One S and nowadays that's conservative! If somebody had spent that on my xmas I'd have believed in Santa Claus until I was 16.

We live in a world where it comes easy and they have it all, even when the rents are on benefits. Kids now have no concept of the value of money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm paying for alot of this, of course with some much appreciated help from my family. But the bulk of it will be from my pocket

Good on ya kid! Just pointing out in reply to RantMachine, that ideas on what a "small budget" means has changed a lot over the years. 25-30 years ago glass collecting in a pub only earned you £2 per hour, so we just managed without. Spending a hundreds on proper stuff was dream territory.

My understanding is that Goretex is the only waterproof membrane which is actually guaranteed to be waterproof - I picked up some ISX Oslo winter gloves for £80 from J&S and am pleased with them so far (albeit only riding in the dry so far!).

Would suggest getting along to a decent sized shop and trying on as many different pairs as you can, but from my experience of other (non-motorbiking) gear, think that Goretex can be well worth it for key areas like boots and gloves. Bugger spending that much on my first motorbike jacket though! :lol:

My 2p worth on this is do not buy the best first time...

Buy reasonable gear that fits. You will want a second set when you know what you like and don't like, at that point you can buy better.

Jacket & Boots what length? Waist trousers or ones that come up higher? Lid Drop down sun visor? Pinlock? Flip Top? Open face (not my choice)? Jackets long or short? Many choices and only when you start riding do you know really what you want..

Summer gloves and winter/ waterproof gloves is a good option I usually carry both... Its the UK if its raining your hands will appreciate the warmth even in summer... Heated grips?

When it comes to waterproof if it does not say Gortex it is probably not that waterproof, certainly when it comes to breathable waterproofs.

As others say keep an eye out on EBay/ Gumtree second hand shops etc I saw a full set of Rukka (looked like in good nick to) go for £150 the other week.

There is a local shop here that sells old stock and second hand trousers and jackets second hand at very good prices some deals to be had, is there one near you?

Helmet I would buy new unless its good condition new you REALLY KNOW its history AND its VERY CHEAP, if not is it worth the risk?

Thank you.

Any winter/waterproof-specific gloves will be fine. Goretex(?) do the best waterproofing gloves as far as I'm aware.

Anything with "summer" in the title means they're gonna be thin, real thin, and "breathable" I.e. Have holes all over them that will let unlimited amount of water in.

Thank you, I will keep this in mind.

Also don't get me wrong, you CAN wear summer gloves all year long.. but why put yourself through the misery of freezing cold and soaked hands every day.

Yeah, being that it rains pretty much all day everyday here; I really need somewhat waterproof gear.

It's not very often that it gets remotely warm out here so breathable gear isn't too important.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Look for gloves with a waterproof lining , gortex or similar.

As an example.

http://www.rst-store.co.uk/rst-shadow-ii-ce-waterproof-gloves.html

Pick a supplier of your choice and google them for water proof gloves.

See here.

http://www.bikersworldstore.co.uk/all/clothing/gloves.html#%21___SID=U&product_wp=1473

But remember a waterproof lining would be better than just waterproof.

Most folks will have at least 2 pairs of gloves wet an d summer.

Hth

Thank you, this is very much appreciated.

I will have a look about and find a good pair.

Thank you.

My budget at 16 stretched to Belstaff waterproof overalls handed down from my Dad that didn't fit, a leather bikers jacket (no armour in it) and leather gauntlets from my slightly thinner uncle, a Achillies Stadium helmet with the visor on pop on fasteners from a family friend. I rode in jeans and lace up boots and my Dad gave me a bollocking every time I fell off for ripping the jeans.

I'm spending about £500 on my kids Christmas the main present being an Xbox One S and nowadays that's conservative! If somebody had spent that on my xmas I'd have believed in Santa Claus until I was 16.

We live in a world where it comes easy and they have it all, even when the rents are on benefits. Kids now have no concept of the value of money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm paying for alot of this, of course with some much appreciated help from my family. But the bulk of it will be from my pocket

Good on ya kid! Just pointing out in reply to RantMachine, that ideas on what a "small budget" means has changed a lot over the years. 25-30 years ago glass collecting in a pub only earned you £2 per hour, so we just managed without. Spending a hundreds on proper stuff was dream territory.

Damn man, makes me think how easy I've got it... :shock:

My understanding is that Goretex is the only waterproof membrane which is actually guaranteed to be waterproof - I picked up some ISX Oslo winter gloves for £80 from J&S and am pleased with them so far (albeit only riding in the dry so far!).

Would suggest getting along to a decent sized shop and trying on as many different pairs as you can, but from my experience of other (non-motorbiking) gear, think that Goretex can be well worth it for key areas like boots and gloves. Bugger spending that much on my first motorbike jacket though! :lol:

I think I may have to take a trip down to the biking store :D

Good luck on your MOD 2 mate :)

My 2p worth on this is do not buy the best first time...

Buy reasonable gear that fits. You will want a second set when you know what you like and don't like, at that point you can buy better.

Jacket & Boots what length? Waist trousers or ones that come up higher? Lid Drop down sun visor? Pinlock? Flip Top? Open face (not my choice)? Jackets long or short? Many choices and only when you start riding do you know really what you want..

Summer gloves and winter/ waterproof gloves is a good option I usually carry both... Its the UK if its raining your hands will appreciate the warmth even in summer... Heated grips?

When it comes to waterproof if it does not say Gortex it is probably not that waterproof, certainly when it comes to breathable waterproofs.

As others say keep an eye out on EBay/ Gumtree second hand shops etc I saw a full set of Rukka (looked like in good nick to) go for £150 the other week.

There is a local shop here that sells old stock and second hand trousers and jackets second hand at very good prices some deals to be had, is there one near you?

Helmet I would buy new unless its good condition new you REALLY KNOW its history AND its VERY CHEAP, if not is it worth the risk?

I'm pretty certain on most things, I think.

But as you said I won't know for sure until I'm wearing them everyday sat on a bike.

Helmet will be new for sure, but I'm not thinking about maybe getting some second hand gear for the other items....

I don't believe there is any second hand shops like that near me, but Ebay and Gumtree are a great option for sure.

I will be going with winter gloves because it pretty much is winter weather everyday here.

Full face helmet, they look best (IMO) and they have the best protection.

I'm uncertain about how high my trousers should come up too, so I'll have to try on a few different pairs somewhere.

Thank you.

I spent circa £600 on

Shark S900 helmet

RevIt jacket and trousers (jupiter I think it was called)

RevIt L2 back protector

IXS winter gloves

Rev It hig viz

RST boots.

All of that has been worn daily in all weathers for about 3 years, crashed in twice and is still perfectly usable although it's all getting a little worn out now. It was reasonably water proof unless it was really pouring. An oversuit fixes that. The boots were the biggest let down as they started leaking after 6 months and the velcro was done by a year. I replaced them with TCX infinity's which have been excellent.

Once I've finished spending money getting my CX500 back on the road I'm going to get a whole new set except boots. Probably starting with an RST Paragon V suit.