Advanced riding not always a good thing?

Phooey

So I am going to work with my IAM test in the near future so I am focusing on what I should be doing. 50mph road. Left hand bend and mirror move to just left of centre line for best view, traffic light on green, mirror and steady through goes to amber as I cross the line. Right hand bend ahead, mirror and moves to left for view. White Insignia joins road behind me from traffic light ... left hand bend, mirror position just left of centre line ... you get the picture.

About a mile along the road, white Insignia still behind me and I approach a sharp right hand bend. Mirror and moves left ... Insignia overtakes blasting his horn and stops in the middle of the road and 100m ahead. As I approach he is walking toward me shouting ... I stop and he screams ... "You need to get some f**cking lessons you w*nker. You're all over the road."

Now I don't blame him because of his ignorance, but I wonder if anyone else who has done the advanced riding has experienced anything similar?

I don't think this is restricted to advance riding. The amount of pot holes and horrible slick bits of tar on the roads around here mean I appear to be "all over the place" when on some roads.

Some drivers are simply ignorant.

Just let it bounce off you as one of those moments that you can put down to an ignorant idiot.

I'm also doing the IAM training and sometimes wonder what people behind think of all the lane positioning. Never had any negative feedback from other road users so far though. Whether they understand it or not, I remind myself we're entitled to just as much road space as the cars are!

Did you get his reg number.......probably a company car driver who's employer would benefit from get their drivers some further driving training..... :roll:

No I didn't, Bob. To be honest I was a little shocked at the outburst!

If this situation happen again tell that you paid road tax for use of any part of the road as much as you fancy, so if you desire you will ride f**kin sideways :D

So I am going to work with my IAM test in the near future so I am focusing on what I should be doing. 50mph road. Left hand bend and mirror move to just left of centre line for best view, traffic light on green, mirror and steady through goes to amber as I cross the line. Right hand bend ahead, mirror and moves to left for view. White Insignia joins road behind me from traffic light ... left hand bend, mirror position just left of centre line ... you get the picture.

About a mile along the road, white Insignia still behind me and I approach a sharp right hand bend. Mirror and moves left ... Insignia overtakes blasting his horn and stops in the middle of the road and 100m ahead. As I approach he is walking toward me shouting ... I stop and he screams ... "You need to get some f**cking lessons you w*nker. You're all over the road."

Now I don't blame him because of his ignorance, but I wonder if anyone else who has done the advanced riding has experienced anything similar?

Yes I had a guy undertake me on a left turn then abuse me whilst we waited in a traffic queue at some lights but I got the last laugh...I filtered to get out of his way and noticed a cop car up ahead so I attracted their attention and when the lights changed they pulled over so I could explain. The guy started to come past and they waived him into a car park off road and asked me to follow. As i pulled into the car park the idiot jumped out of his car and started abusing and threatening me all over a gain in front of the police. They very kindly asked me to continue my journey as they were going to be having a word with the gentleman regarding his driving and attitude".....lol

Some chap turned left after sitting in the right hand lane at a local roundabout, on Tuesday, where road marking indicate he has to go straight or right. He cut me up in the process so got a sound tooting.

Bam. Sat in front of me doing twenty mph...and got a second tooting. He'd lost it by the time the road opened up into a dual. Sat alongside me screaming unheard obscenities and gesticulating. Then, just before cutting in front, he arranged that we should both meet in the approaching lay-by to discuss this matter more fully.

In he went. And I drove by, continuing the journey to my karate classes, as Twat was left stuck there by commuter traffic. For the life of me, I can not understand how these people manage to have licences, relationships or friends?

Some chap turned left after sitting in the right hand lane at a local roundabout, on Tuesday, where road marking indicate he has to go straight or right. He cut me up in the process so got a sound tooting.

Bam. Sat in front of me doing twenty mph...and got a second tooting. He'd lost it by the time the road opened up into a dual. Sat alongside me screaming unheard obscenities and gesticulating. Then, just before cutting in front, he arranged that we should both meet in the approaching lay-by to discuss this matter more fully.

In he went. And I drove by, continuing the journey to my karate classes, as Twat was left stuck there by commuter traffic. For the life of me, I can not understand how these people manage to have licences, relationships or friends?

Was that you , sorry about that , I'd had a bad morning .

As I approach he is walking toward me shouting ... I stop and he screams ... "You need to get some f**cking lessons you w*nker. You're all over the road."

?

there there petal .. have a nice cup of tea and chocolate biscuits calm your nerves ..

the world is full of contemptible idiots

and sooner or later you was gonna come into contact with one ..

:angel12:

In he went. And I drove by, continuing the journey to my karate classes.........

I am a biker and student of Shito Ryu karate. I use advanced riding techniques, as taught when I was in the police. I am now retired, have a secure pension and life in general. I am thankful that somehow, maybe the way I ride defensively and try and keep as much space around me as possible, or I have seen really bad stuff that a minor road traffic matter does not bother me, or I do not care when a motorist blows their horn because I know they got a fright when I suddenly appeared, I have not ended up stopped for a face off with a motorist.

Advanced riding is a good thing, but particularly on right hand bends, pulling into the left may create the impression to a motorist behind you that are making space and want them to pass. So a central line is better when a car has caught up and is thinking about passing.

...and student of Shito Ryu karate

In days gone by I may have been the type to stop and debate the finer points of the Highway Code, at volume, with expletives. The best thing Shotokan has given me is the internal discipline to remove myself from situations where conflict may arise. If he really wanted to have a sparring session he was welcome to follow me to the dojo. :lol:

My plan would be to ride off and say nothing. But there are loads of you tube videos where that ends up as a chase. If that happened, I would stop and take the confrontation. I think that would be safer, for me anyway :wink:

Problem I have had on observed rides is tailgaters who can't understand why you are sticking to the speed limit.

There are no rules in advanced riding though, you don't HAVE to do anything, and if by moving into position one means the vehicle behind is going to try and squeeze past through the gap you've opened up, then don't do it. Just loose a little speed to compensate for the reduced forwards view and the fact you dont want to have to brake with an idiot right on your arse, and guard your space on the road.

As already said never compromise position for safety.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

the internal discipline to remove myself from situations where conflict may arise

It called light blue touch paper (a sound tooting) and run :-)

As already said never compromise position for safety.

You sure ......?

Lol, yeah, switch that the other way round.

I was following a learner the other day when I was in the work van and he seemed to have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on advanced riding as you could almost see his thought process in his riding. He did look scatty and all over the place but was positioned correct for corners.

When you think too much about it maybe it does come across as your all over the place and for a meer cager that doesn't understand or have the foresight to see what your achieving maybe he thought you were slowing and moving aside for him to pass.

I'm not an advanced rider but like many use a lot of the basics skills that are taught as being able to see further round a corner let's me go round it faster ;) but it's seamless and fluid.

I done know maybe your taught to position left 200 yards from the bend but if you are and you have a car up your ass and your doing bang on the speed then expect an idiot to try a overtake

Good luck on your test

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

the internal discipline to remove myself from situations where conflict may arise

It called light blue touch paper (a sound tooting) and run :-)

Running away is the best form of self-defence. 8-)