Advanced riding not always a good thing?

Phooey

Like I said in my original post ... I don't blame him for not knowing. I am not complaining about him overtaking. His choice to overtake and I am not responcible for his decisions. His overtake was dangerous, but he could have passed me anywhere if that's all he wanted to do. He wasn't up my arse, just didn't like the idea that I repositioned for every hazard. Should an accident have occured he would have been 100% of the belief that he was right and I was wrong. Safety over position everytime I agree but we can't keep ignoring our advanced training just in case the ar*ehole behind wants to overtake! Otherwise the advice would be 'if someone is behind you remain in the dominant position like on the learner test'

I must admit that I do get a little pissy when rules are changed to suit the ignorant. It seems the wrong way round to me. Not far from where I live is a junction off the M32 where you take the left lane on the exit slip road for left, middle lane for straight ahead and right lane for right, or at least it was! Drivers used to use the middle lane to turn left cutting up the drivers in the correct lane. So some bright spark decided to change the junction markings. Now it is left lane for left, middle lane for left or straight ahead and right lane for right. There is now often a 'fight' to get into the lane you want after the junction because people with no common sence try to take priority.

Otherwise the advice would be 'if someone is behind you remain in the dominant position like on the learner test'.

Not an instructor by any long shot this is my personal take on things

But that is the advanced way as well if your safety is jeopardised by positioning for view be it a manhole , debris oncoming or following traffic you take that information in used the information and adjust your speed/position to one that you can deal with the harard ( ipsga )

Information

I have a long straight ahead followed by a right hand bend

I have a car directly behind me whose prior driving style has been erratic/ aggresive

No oncoming traffic .

Position .

Using the above information i feel that for me to obtain a better view i will seriously reduce my safety and the following vehicle may attempt to overtake/misunderstand my intentions .

Speed/gear

Due to my decreased view i will decrease my speed so that i can safely stop on my side of the carriageway in the distance i can clearly see in .once my safety and view has improved i shall then

Accelerate ..

They are not hard and fast rules of YOU MUST be on left of lane for right hander and right hand for left .. there is no step by step instruction that MUST be followed .. The common word as mentioned is Consider doing/a/using ..... but if through your continuos thought process of IPSGA sonething changes to impact on your safety you go back to Information...

ie above situation

Information

I have a long straight ahead followed by a right hand bend

I have a car directly behind me whose prior driving style has been erratic/ aggresive

No oncoming traffic to start with but as the straight decreases

Heavy oncoming traffic comes into play

You can then use that to your advantage and give yourself a better position to increase view but still maintain a dominant lane position just closer to the carriage edge .

Like I said in my original post ... I don't blame him for not knowing. I am not complaining about him overtaking. His choice to overtake and I am not responcible for his decisions. His overtake was dangerous, but he could have passed me anywhere if that's all he wanted to do. He wasn't up my arse, just didn't like the idea that I repositioned for every hazard. Should an accident have occured he would have been 100% of the belief that he was right and I was wrong. Safety over position everytime I agree but we can't keep ignoring our advanced training just in case the ar*ehole behind wants to overtake! Otherwise the advice would be 'if someone is behind you remain in the dominant position like on the learner test'

I must admit that I do get a little pissy when rules are changed to suit the ignorant. It seems the wrong way round to me. Not far from where I live is a junction off the M32 where you take the left lane on the exit slip road for left, middle lane for straight ahead and right lane for right, or at least it was! Drivers used to use the middle lane to turn left cutting up the drivers in the correct lane. So some bright spark decided to change the junction markings. Now it is left lane for left, middle lane for left or straight ahead and right lane for right. There is now often a 'fight' to get into the lane you want after the junction because people with no common sence try to take priority.

They tend to redo junctions/msrkings to try and make them less likely to cause accidents rather than better for the less enabled road user to fathom .

And its not just car drivers who are ignorant to Advanced Techniques i would hazard a guess that 60 percent of motorbike riders have no idea and have that BMW HI VIS pipe and slippers view of it and how its no fun its 60(70)mph tops ...same as a car drivers view of advanced driving is the classic shuffle the wheel mentality.

And good luck with it and main thing is relax and it comes a lot more second nature .

A tip i still use is have a running commentary and list the hazards and where possible the action to deal with

It gets even more annoying when its a bike that reacts like that when your enjoying a twisty Road at legalish speeds at a constant pace and their on your arse on the straights but bends they are too busy waggling their knees about they then end up goin past horn blaring and you then see them overtake on solid whites into oncoming traffic which is the rewarding part as their shite observations didn't notice it was a brightly coloured bmw who started an amazing disco show at his point of overtaking and that even one of the cars we had overtaken (legally) about 1/2 mile back was an unmarked audi who then had been making progress covertly afterwards .

As already said never compromise position for safety.

When I am teaching and examining I tell riders not to compromise safety over position.

Positon can be sacrificed, safety can't.

See the two posts above yours. Typo! Whisky probably contributed. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Safety over position everytime I agree but we can't keep ignoring our advanced training just in case the ar*ehole behind wants to overtake! Otherwise the advice would be 'if someone is behind you remain in the dominant position like on the learner test'

You aren't understanding advanced training, and perhaps your observer is not getting it across properly.

You can't "ignore your advanced training", this is because it's not training you to DO anything in particular. It's just training you to think, understand risks, and mitigate them.

This depends on the circumstances you are faced with and is entirely flexible.

There is no rule about what you should do if someone is behind you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Is that the ikea junction southbound? Bloody nightmare that one.

Many years ago I was on my way into Marlow coming from Henley in the days when it was a really fun national speed limit (or GLF to give it its proper title :wink: ) road.

I had been hooning (shall we say quite a bit above the limit :wink: ) it a bit but for the 8 miles or so between Henley and Marlow I had been followed by some flash sod who was right up my chuff and thought he was the bees knees.

As you come into Marlow by Tommy Steele's place there is a left hand bend with the start of the 30 limit followed by a longish straight leading into Marlow along the Henley Road.

I entered the limit bang on the 30 in the dominant position sitting out on the crown of the road and this clearly frustrated Mr smart arse behind as he was centimeters from the back of the bike hooting his horn.

As we came off the left hander still at 30, as soon as the road straightened up this idiot was out and past me and was gone like greased weasle droppings and was out of sight in no time but he made sure that he gave me the number one greeting sign as he went past.

2 minutes down the road, guess what? There was same Mr smart arse getting a ticket. I went past with a very big but smug smile on my face and I did give him a friendly wave as well :thumb:

Turned out he went past the speed enforcement team at about 90 in the 30. His licence went to the shredder for 6 months and his fine was pretty substantial as well.

The moral of the story is, no matter what others might think, say or do, if it feels wrong it usually is wrong. It also works the other way in that if it feels right it often is right and whilst it might not prevent you being involved in a crash, it will usually prevent you being involved in a crash which is your fault.

Is that the ikea junction southbound? Bloody nightmare that one.

That's the one mate!