Your security

How do you secure your machine? is it me or had insurance got alot more stupidly expensive these days?. I used to live in Norwich then cambridge and the insurance was ok not bad at all but moving to a new location and it shot up. Not that I cant see why, my car got broken into twice within a week of moving here. I moved 2/3 of my bikes to a storage facility for safety but the 3rd boy is it difficult to get out and ride. It has to go through an alley 1" wider than the bike and take a 45 degree turn which means lifting the tail in tight space. I live next to a kawasaki dealership funnily enough (handy to get parts) they say they get hundreds of stolen bikes to be sold every few months, a band of teenagers steal alot round here.

Mine is through a tight alley in a garden with virtually no turning space, anchored to a brick wall with a oxford anchor, 9MM chain, screamer disc lock x2, another chain 10mm on the back wheel (said to be almost impervious but would take 45 mins to grind through), datatool alarm, GPS tracker x2, custom built X Y Z axis mercury alarm I made it a little sensitive lol light rain set it off @ 120 db lol, cover with another custom alarm on the clasp. It takes me about 30 mins just to get it on the road lol.

I keep mine in the garage but have a ground anchor inside the garage with an Almax Series 3 chain (16mm). When out, I carry an Oxford 11mm chain but I do not really like the Oxford chains. However it was a trade off between lightness and security. Didn't want to carry a 16mm chain in my box when out. I only have a YBR 125 but I got the Almax with the intention of using it when I do my DAS and get a better bike.

EDIT: Insurance was no different. Got a quote for no chain and a quote with the Almax. With the chain, the policy was one pound, yes a whole quid cheaper per year! So I tell the insurance people I do not have a chain therefore hopefully pre-empting any come backs about security if I had said I always use a chain (if for example I got the bike stolen whilst t was temporarily outside or away from home without the big Almax)... if that makes any sense!

Mine is through a tight alley in a garden with virtually no turning space, anchored to a brick wall with a oxford anchor, 9MM chain, screamer disc lock x2, another chain 10mm on the back wheel (said to be almost impervious but would take 45 mins to grind through), datatool alarm, GPS tracker x2, custom built X Y Z axis mercury alarm I made it a little sensitive lol light rain set it off @ 120 db lol, cover with another custom alarm on the clasp. It takes me about 30 mins just to get it on the road lol.

Thanks for the detailed info, it'll make my life a lot easier!

...now where's my gps jammer :scratch:

I think it's a bluff, all three bikes are in the garden with the keys in. The security detailed is just a deterrent!

On a serious note, having that much to do before being able to drive the thing would put me off 9 times out of 10 lol. I find having to get into the garage enough of a chore!

Honestly it puts me off riding sometimes but the security is important to me because my bike is like my daughter, touch it or steal it and see how hard it is to pick up your teeth with broken fingers. They are not all the security measures there is another, besides the 1st GPS is located in a area that will take a good hour to grind or strip to, the 2nd redundancy gps is even harder to find. Thieves will steal anything around here, i dare not leave my bike out front and will only put it away when no one is watching to see its there lol. Moving here my car insurance went up by 3k and bike about 140% no joke and rules are strict. I keep a lock in the bike when I travel, i had the same issue security vs weight, I went for a small enough round a wheel and a post super thick chain think its 16mm, im never more than 3 min walk away from it, and my pager alarm will notify me if its even touched. Security cost me half the bike price. £200 a yr secure storage for the other 2.

For chaining your bike at home, I would recommend getting an Almax. They also do a 19mm. Very expensive chains but I would say a couple of hundred quid is worth spending to keep the bike secure. Here is the 19mm... I only have the 16mm though: http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/Almax-Immobiliser-Series-IV/Almax-Immobiliser-Series-IV--Uber--Squire-SS65CS-Lock__p-70-129.aspx

Just noticed you live in Norwich, dont worry my bikes are not in norwich, sadly I moved away due to having a child. Will have to travel a long way with that jammer of yours, though I do have a suzuki gn 250 + fazer still in norwich on loan and transport when I visit my brother, if you want to find them LOL. Fazer may be a little hard to steal though its bio-metrically started, little test see if it worked and it did lol.

'Twas only a joke, but just remember this is a public forum and it's not hard for someone with the right skill set to find your address.

I travel all over the place for work so unless you're in a different country I've probably been nearby at some point.

That's a hefty hike in insurance! Is that for all 3 bikes or just one? Seems crazy that insurance companies are allowed to charge whatever they want.

Back on topic my bike used to have a ground anchor with chain and a disc lock, plus it was covered every night and as you're from Norwich you'll probably know Larkman isn't the best area :lol:

Garage with Enfield locks and an Alarm.

My bike is always with me, so, if you do plan on doing it, you'll have to fight me to get to it, which isn't much of a challenge in itself, but i do plan to be naked.

'Twas only a joke, but just remember this is a public forum and it's not hard for someone with the right skill set to find your address.

I travel all over the place for work so unless you're in a different country I've probably been nearby at some point.

That's a hefty hike in insurance! Is that for all 3 bikes or just one? Seems crazy that insurance companies are allowed to charge whatever they want.

Back on topic my bike used to have a ground anchor with chain and a disc lock, plus it was covered every night and as you're from Norwich you'll probably know Larkman isn't the best area :lol:

I got it was a joke lol, messing with you in return. Yeah its not the best area to live in, I have lived all over norwich, its either the worst or 2nd worst to mile cross area for theft. Luckily no one screwed with my wheels because I am well known in norwich, people and bikers alike. But here its so unsafe - lol there is a group of teens here 4-5 of them prowl the streets for wheels to steal, they dont like it when you throw locks around bikes they try to steal and I live in a blackspot of crime all come here to hide in abandoned buildings.

Thats for 1 bike, I cant afford to do all 3 but im looking for a good multi insurance. I would sell the car but family needs and some family live in remote places without public transport.

I wouldn't bother with all that.

If i wanted to nick your bike id wait untill you unlocked it, pushed it down the ally then i would just smash you in the helmet with something blunt and ride off on it :lol:

If i wanted to nick your bike id wait untill you unlocked it, pushed it down the ally then i would just smash you in the helmet with something blunt and ride off on it :lol:

Wining idea, but as you ride off i will activate the kill switch installed on all my bikes. Really spared no expense on security options, yes im slightly paranoid... i say slightly.

Wining idea, but as you ride off i will activate the kill switch installed on all my bikes. Really spared no expense on security options, yes im slightly paranoid... i say slightly.

But it would be in the back of his van before you knew it :lol:

Well I've just bought my insurance with Hastings, and they didn't want to know the details about the security measures I'm using! Apparently, so long as it's on my drive, then I'm covered! I didn't buy the expensive Pragmasis stuff simply to lower the premium, but having got it I somehow feel shortchanged now! :shock:

That said, it came in at £540, fully comp including business use for 10k miles a year, which is nearly half what Carole Nash and a few other places offered so I'm happy with that for a new rider's first year.

On the security front, if someone can get through the 16mm chain from Pramasis, I reckon they'll have earned my bike! Dread to think how much the 19mm or 22mm chains would weigh for a 2.5m length! :lol: Was already planning to get a disc lock, but think I might get a smaller chain and lock to use when out and about, preferably which can live under the seat. Is a 13mm chain likely to be sufficient for using in town etc?

The best security of all.. for a bike parked at home, is not advertising that its there. so as discreet as possible. if you have a drive.. keep it on the drive and covered.. not on the road. (uncovered) if you can possibly get it out of sight then do so. vary your route home and be aware of followers on the final approach. If you suspect that you are being followed then a quick lap round the block should soon prove that one way or the other without much inconvenience.. especially given where you live.

this has been my strategy for the past 16 years. although I did have an advantage.. I was already a biker and the house was bought with security of the bike and my other possessions in mind.

Anyone use the bike cover shell? i was thinking of getting one since it bolts to the ground with a locking ability on some.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RxiE7aRQkpA/ViLm1V2hxnI/AAAAAAAAAj0/HGb9BHOcALI/s1600/IMG_4455.JPG

13mm chain is good for light and security, I have a 16 i think in my bike, if you can get a abus sledg they are pretty good disc locks.

If someone want's it bad enough they will get it

Its the same with my rifles.

In a steel cabinet with intenal hinges/bolts top and bottom and another lockable safe inside with ammo and the bolts.(ammo has to be kept separate to the gun)

Thats all bolted to the wall with 6 massive bolts.

Because ive got x amount of guns the house has to be alarmed and the doors/windows had to be upgraded with extra security.

Now nobody is going to go to the hassle of getting in the house to try and get into it.

They would wait at the end of the street for me to give way and pull me out the van and leave me in a bloody heap and take the gun complete with bolt and ammo.

My GPz900 lived behind a massive padlocked gate, three tight 90degree bends, three chains and locks and the car blocking the gate.

Brummie scum must have spent their toddler years watching David Blaine. They had it away with my bargain classic before I could say "Did you just hear a noise outside?" It used to take me forever to get it out to the road. A part of me was in awe of their skilzz.

I treat security as a deterrent for the casual thief now, there's no point in anything extra unless it involves spotlights, 24hr armed guard and minefields with laser cannons.

I look at the prices of replacement GPzs and cry over my £650 settlement cheque. Last time I tell an insurance company what I actually paid for something.