Winter thermal gloves what are the best for value

Hi, i have been doing a lot of travel this month, i was wondering whats the better makes to loom out for a set for thermal westherproof/ wind proof gloves.

I have been using themral

Skii gloves that have revently fallen apart (15 pound gloves lasted 400 miles) before ripping where the stiching is.

Texitle i would prefer just because wind resitant as my hands go stiff after being on the bike for more then 45 mins

For waterproofness and windproof you'll probably need to look at Goretex gloves......so they're gonna cost you...... :wink:

What you can do as well is wear silk inner gloves inside whatever gloves you buy, as this helps with insulation. .......I think Mountain Warehouse have them in their sale at the moment.....so may be worth a look as well...... 8-)

Muffs are another good option. I've yet to find a pair of winter gloves that really work when you're out for a while in crap weather. Muffs look a bit gash but they work. Tucano Urbano ones are decent.

Remember ski gloves etc are not stitched to the abrasion force's of sliding along tarmac .

Get some motorcycle based gloves as a minimum

What area you in ...?

Places like helmetcity have a clearance store in Chichester

I have winter gloves with a waterproof liner(not gortex though) and then wear merino wool inner gloves on realy cold days.

The cheapest, most effective way to keep your hands warm are food preparation gloves worn as inner gloves. I had glove failure during a wet cold motorway ride and stopped at a service station. A nice lady from Mcdonalds gave me a pair of the food prep gloves they use. Once my hands were dry and warm from the toilets hand dryer, I put on the food prep gloves and then the wet gloves. My hands stayed warm for the rest of the journey.

IME there is no best value winter glove, you have to pay to keep warm. So layering, with inner gloves to trap warmth and waterproof over-gloves for keeping out the wind and that can be done for about £30.

The cheapest, most effective way to keep your hands warm are food preparation gloves worn as inner gloves. I had glove failure during a wet cold motorway ride and stopped at a service station. A nice lady from Mcdonalds gave me a pair of the food prep gloves they use. Once my hands were dry and warm from the toilets hand dryer, I put on the food prep gloves and then the wet gloves. My hands stayed warm for the rest of the journey.

IME there is no best value winter glove, you have to pay to keep warm. So layering, with inner gloves to trap warmth and waterproof over-gloves for keeping out the wind and that can be done for about £30.

Be very wary of using plastic or latex gloves for any prolonged period especially inside other gloves

http://hourglass-intl.com/2014/05/15/understanding-glove-related-contact-dermatitis/

If your gloves arent giving enough protection, a tip i used to use when flying birds in winter was to put on a cheap disposable latex glove underneath the normal glove, its amazing how much warmer you are. i havent tested it out on a bike yet but i cant see it not working.

If your gloves arent giving enough protection, a tip i used to use when flying birds in winter was to put on a cheap disposable latex glove underneath the normal glove, its amazing how much warmer you are. i havent tested it out on a bike yet but i cant see it not working.

Do not do that. The wind chill will easily penetrate the outer glove and the latex will chill even quicker than fabric and will freeze your fingers.

I tried this once on my bicycle, painful was not even close. Do that at motorbike speeds, :shock: :shock: :shock:

Use silk glove liners instead.

Liners are only useful if your gloves are a loose fit. I tried some under my gloves in a microlight (the same winter gloves I now use on the bike and they made the cold 10x worse. I think due to the lowered circulation in my hands.

Do you need waterproof or just warm?

Waterproof I would say Gortex every time, if to be used for long journeys I would then say a double cuff (Inner cuff goes stops water running down into glove, outer cuff goes outside and stops water running up your sleeve) a PITa to put on but once on your dry... Not a cheap option but worth it...

Another thought is heated grips, these need not be expensive if you dont mind fitting a relay or can remember to turn them off. I am running on a set of these the last 3 day 450 mile tour and my hands where not cold...

https://www.rydestore.com/ryde-variable-temperaturee-heated-motorcycle-grips.html

Heated grips for me, tried numerous types of gloves over the years, the grips win every time.

Would it be fair to say that no gloves keep your digits warm after a half hour ride in 0 degrees?

No... Because there are electrically heated gloves.

And aside from that the warmth of your hands is directly governed by good circulation and maintained core body heat. Since I stopped smoking my hands (and feet) have got a lot warmer. Also... Who has tested all the winter gloves that are available? Like top of the range £200 Held twins or £230 Rukka R star. (as an example)

My top tip, January isn't the ideal time to buy winter gear... Buy between April and June. :thumb:

I'm really pleased with my IXS Oslo gloves. ~£80, gore-tex lined, and hands were toasty through all of my lessons. However, I have swiftly learned that a stint going along at national speed limits is a whole different ball game! I instantly understand the need for heated grips!

I spent years buying every type of winter glove from £30 to £100s and in the end due to my poor circulation I opted for heated grips (removed when it gets warm) and some mid weight Alpinestars waterproof gloves. When it gets so cold I shouldn't really be riding I put on my merino wool liners. I bought the winter gloves whilst wearing the liners so that I knew they wouldn't be so tight it made the circulation worse. I get grief from "proper bikers" about being a nancy with the heated grips but I'm the one with the toasty hands and not the ones having to use the palm of my hand to brake as I can't feel the lever with my fingers haha.

If you have handle bars rather than clipons then a £15 set of bash guards from eBay work a treat for cutting the wind chill down even further, and like the grips when its gets above 15 degrees take them off :)

I'd say also make sure your core is nice and toasty too as when that gets cold it makes your extremities a million times worse!

So:

£50 on Oxford sports grips (little less chunky than touring ones)

£90 (or less) on some fairly decent waterproof & windproof gloves

Optional:

£10 merino wool liners (if you really suffer from the cold)

£15 bash guards (reduce that wind chill)

Still less than £200+ top end gloves but with all things its horses for courses 8-)

I am interested in the bash guard idea - anyone else use them?

yes.. they're more usually called handguards and are pretty much standard on adventure style and off road bikes, meant to prevent stones and branches from hitting your hands.. they're also good wind deflectors. you can buy them for virtually any bike that has bar end weights.

http://i.imgur.com/f4O6z7Tl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j4U8tfTl.jpg

These are called 'Barkbusters' and are available here in the UK. this assuming you want to spend.

I get grief from "STUPID PEOPLE" about being a nancy with the heated grips but I'm the one with the toasty hands and not the ones having to use the palm of my hand to brake as I can't feel the lever with my fingers haha.

Fixed that for you :lol:

I need new gloves, my lovely gortex ones let water in somewhere... then they don't let it back out again so wet gloves for three days :crybaby:

my lovely gortex ones let water in somewhere... then they don't let it back out again so wet gloves for three days :crybaby:

Goretex comes with a lifetime guarantee. which is only made void by damage to the glove itself.. so thats stitching coming apart.. or maybe abrasion damage after a crash. or perhaps something more mundane like water running down the inside of the cuff.

if the fault is none of these and it seems likely to be the goretex membrane itself.. then you're covered and goretex will either refund or replace.

What does useful life of the product mean?

The membrane will not deteriorate over time, but it can be damaged during your product’s intended activity, or if used for an activity outside of its intended use. Some of our products can accommodate a wide variety of end uses, while others are designed for specific activities. It really depends on you, what you do, and the choices you make: Lack of care can often be the cause of a product no longer having useful life, so it’s important to routinely clean your item and always follow the care instructions . Use your best judgment, if the garment, footwear or glove have worn soles, rips, tears, punctures, abrasions, it may be time to buy a new one. If it looks worn out then it likely is. If you are unsure give us a call or send us an email and we can help make an assessment.

http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/en-gb/experience/our-promise