Do you Jet wash your Bike?

onesea

<t>Do you Jet wash your bike to clean it?</t>  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Jet wash your bike to clean it?

• Hell Yes all over how else do you clean it.
    • Yes with respect for chain and electrics Etc
    • No never jet wash, soapy water for me.
    • My bike get wet never dry clean only for me

I have jet washed every single bike I have owned and so have my mates and between us in 13 years we have had one failed bearing! and this wasn't due to jet washing! the 15 year old bearing had just had enough!

Never had any running issues with a bike due to wet electrics and none of us have had any dodgy electrics caused by water ingress no knackered radiator fins either and no known brake problems from jet washing

Why is that? because we aren't dumb and don't concentrate the jet in to bearings or electrics etc

I haven't seen or found any evidence that supports the whole "jet washing will chase the grease out of the bearings"

I have some spare bearings I will have to bring them home and do some testing with a jet wash and post the results

From the FJR1300 owners manual

1104388509_ScreenShot2017-01-19at19_43_19.png.59b869b70db5a501af5a820fc26286ea.png

do not use is a bit strong maybe... but then I would imagine they're being over cautious as a lot of people have little or no interest in the actual workings of their bikes and so probably have no idea where the swing arm bearings are... or even what they are and why they're important.

They have to make everything idiot proof these days

and as you say I bet most don't know what or where they are

http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/the-smile-man-willen-dafoe-creepy.gif

I have jet washed every single bike I have owned and so have my mates and between us in 13 years we have had one failed bearing! and this wasn't due to jet washing! the 15 year old bearing had just had enough!

Never had any running issues with a bike due to wet electrics and none of us have had any dodgy electrics caused by water ingress no knackered radiator fins either and no known brake problems from jet washing

Why is that? because we aren't dumb and don't concentrate the jet in to bearings or electrics etc

I haven't seen or found any evidence that supports the whole "jet washing will chase the grease out of the bearings"

I hardly ever wash or polish my bikes.

But when I do, this is exactly how I do it, and always have done with all my previous bikes.

Only... in winter when I've been riding on salty roads, I hose the bike down with cold water after every ride.

Just to flush the salty sludge off, before it dries out and does it's destructive work on the bike.

If I cannot hose it because the outdoor tap is frozen, I just flush with one or two buckets of cold water.

I've been told to use cold water because warm water seems to boost the process of corrosion.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but as it is easier to fill a bucket with cold water, I stick to it...

Nope.....no pressure washer on the bike.

The way I look at it is when I'm washing the bike by hand I look more closely at it.....and that's when I often notice that somethings not right....A loose bolt, a cable that's snagging, etc.....so I do some preventative maintenance and hopefully prevent some potential problem. ......standing 3 feet away with a pressure washer doesn't give me that same interaction with the bike..... :wink:

Nope.....no pressure washer on the bike.

The way I look at it is when I'm washing the bike by hand I look more closely at it.....and that's when I often notice that somethings not right....A loose bolt, a cable that's snagging, etc.....so I do some preventative maintenance and hopefully prevent some potential problem. ......standing 3 feet away with a pressure washer doesn't give me that same interaction with the bike..... :wink:

I do hand wash it too Bob :lol:

jet wash to get the heavy stuff off and wet the entire bike

Hand wash

Rinse with jet wash

dry and polish if I can be arsed :lol:

Mine gets the full treatment, Stu.......wash, rinse, chamois, Polish and ACF50. ...... :wink:

The TL used to Bob well including a wax too :lol:

But the FJR isn't as nice so it only get a polish when I am bored and not riding it :lol:

I've always washed my bikes with a jet wash, never had any issues. I do make sure they are perfectly dry after so wipe down dry cloth after, which also means I get to see loose bits or stuff that needs doing. :thumb:

Mine gets a wipe down with warm water and a sponger, then a bit of time to drip dry followed by a coat of ACF50. I'd like to have a jet wash, but it seems a bit daft to spend that money when I'd only be leaving it behind when I move later this year...

I jet wash both of my bike, I'll effects so far.

On the FZ6 the neutral indicator stays on until bike has dried,

On the Trophy the immobiliser light comes on,

Neither seems to affect use, using both bikes in all but icy, snowy weather I would rather they cut out on jet washing than on a wet day on the road...

Then again my jet wash is a cheap low pressure variety. I should also take the time to sing the virtues of snow foam. Spray on wait 5 minutes and wash off...

Neither seems to affect use, using both bikes in all but icy, snowy weather I would rather they cut out on jet washing than on a wet day on the road...

Then again my jet wash is a cheap low pressure variety. I should also take the time to sing the virtues of snow foam. Spray on wait 5 minutes and wash off...

Recommended brand?

Recommended brand?

...and also do you just coat the bike from below the handlebars, or do you have to be selective with brakes, chain etc?

Snow foam brand?

I use this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNOW-FOAM-WASH-N-WAX-25-LITRES-OVER-30-OFF-/321813182415?hash=item4aed8f77cf:g:r3gAAOSwjVVVr0Gx

Then there are better out there, it becomes a price thing.... Then it might be an applicator thing, some one will be along with more knowledge than me....

As for where EVERY where...

Let's start with a quota you get what you pay for

I use a good quality snow foam that costs apx £20 per 5ltr

What I have found over my 34 years on bikes (is as someone has quoted )

A jet wash can and enviably will damage chains bearings and seals

Unless you use a low pressure washer or low pressure nosel

Let's start with how I do it

Low pressure smal spray gun less than 10 psi spray over with clean cold water

Then using the same psi with a snow foam dispensing gun spray the whole bike all over even up under the tank

Then it's a nice coffee and a 10 min wait so the foam can pull all the fine partials of dust and grit off the bike

Now using no more than 15 psi on an open fan lance I tane 15 mins to remove all the snow foam starting at the highest part of the bike or car

One thing I have not tried as yet is a master blaster to dry the bike again I am not sure how it would force water int all the bearings etc

I use micro fibre cloths to dry every part I can get to and a hair dryer on the top end of the engine

And that's before I start to polish and then acf the bike

Got me thinking about my rear shock. It is normally a nice shiny steel colour but as the cold months have progressed it has quite literally turned to shit.

Will cause any damage by using a pressure washer to blast it clean?

Yes. The amount of mud I get over the plastics, on the exhaust, hugger ect if I used a sponge it would be scratch central.

Keep it off chain, bushes, major electrics and it's all good

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a karcher k4 that has different settings for pressure.

I start off with a quick rinse off on it's lowest setting. Then snow foam, leave it for a bit. Rinse off. Hand wash, rinse then I have a leaf blower (bought for the bike) which I use to blow out all the little puddles that would otherwise sit there.

Then the paint work has another coat of protection wax put on.

That's when I can be arsed.

Standard is, rinse, snow foam, rinse. Open a beer, forget what I was doing, go in the house and then eventually remember to put it back in the garage.