A few of my pets * spider phobia warning*

Those^^ are ones I absolutely hate. I try not to kill them, but I will use paper/duster/cloths to shove them outside.

It's mostly the way they float/bob around unpredictably that bothers me. :-/

DADDY LONG LEGS, enjoy :)

I dont mind those. I can pick them up in my hands and take them outside.

I like looking at your pets and while they would make ideal subjects for photography, not sure if i could live with that many in the house.

To be honest I am more wary of the beasties that live in the shed which move quick and bite

I honestly cant see why people kill spiders not only are they beautiful creatures but also majorly responsible for keeping the human species alive, there was a time deadly to human flies (cant remember the species) who was responsible for numming the majority of them into extinction.... spiders lol. For anyone that has killed a helpless spider I give you this.... anyone know most deadly house spider?

Yeah I would never kill one, or any other creature. I have a place down in Norfolk that I only visit once a month and it is always full of cellar spiders whenever I go there. They just hang out in the corners of rooms and I just leave them to get on with it. It is the big house spiders I don't like but I would never ever harm one.

Can't bloody stand them. They infest my home gym but being as im such a woofter about it i generally just leave them to it.

I once rented a flat in Woolwich (horrid place) and below us were a free loading couple who had a pet scorpion. I know this because one summer evening when i left for work and they were playing with it on the communal stairs!

Anyway, next morning as i am coming home from work see what seems to be the outline of a squashed scorpion on the staircase. Put me off my dinner for a few days, but what feckin scum they were.

No offence , but I could not step foot in your house :shock:

I made that decision before I saw any pictures.

Z0LDR.gif

I sometimes think that Mawsley can read my mind.. This summed it up well for me!

http://i.imgur.com/tJi7Gmg.gif' alt='IMGUR>'>

Aye, This too! Still one of my Fav gifs ever :D

I honestly cant see why people kill spiders not only are they beautiful creatures but also majorly responsible for keeping the human species alive, there was a time deadly to human flies (cant remember the species) who was responsible for numming the majority of them into extinction.... spiders lol. For anyone that has killed a helpless spider I give you this.... anyone know most deadly house spider?

Pretty sure the Daddy long legs thing is a bit a myth..

In answer to your other bit, I am Terrified of spider. I am aware it is not rational! My brain sees a spider and goes "Oh look, creature that helps clean the house clear of pests, amazing evolution etc"

Apparently the rest of me doesn't get the memo and I cannot control the screaming and running that follows. Seriously, I am not proud of my reaction but there we go.

I'm forcing myself to get better, mainly cos my cats are the worst bloody hunters ever, but it's going to take a long while yet!

It is actually a hereditary trait, The majority of people still have this primal instinct, mostly its movement of the creature such as spiders or crabs that triggers the impulse in the brain to run like hell or kill it, who knows maybe back then crabs and spiders were super huge and that is where it came from.

Well i tell a slight slant with the daddy long legs. It is actually the most deadly to humans however though anatomically the same the species evolved out the use of fangs, conventional fangs. There are 2 types of fangs vertical fangs and horizontal fangs for the smaller tiny bug eaters.

In all honesty I would say the most frightening spider/ tarantula has to be (DWA licence only, which I have) A. robustus - Sydney funnel web. Its bite is strong enough to break through solid bone at about 30% of its power and has been shown to do the same to steel. Nasty little critters with a bad temper of that of a thousand scorned wives and 100 grumpy old men. Never tap the glass!!!! you tell guests but do they listen? no.

who knows maybe back then crabs and spiders were super huge and that is where it came from.

Like in Attack of the Crab Monsters: 1957 Academy Award winner for best use of a papier-mache crustacean. :D

IMG_1122.thumb.JPG.188650d6523a3a6e08c222c7724eef75.JPG

who knows maybe back then crabs and spiders were super huge and that is where it came from.

Like in Attack of the Crab Monsters: 1957 Academy Award winner for best use of a papier-mache crustacean. :D

Looks like my 1st wife in all honesty.

It is actually a hereditary trait, The majority of people still have this primal instinct, mostly its movement of the creature such as spiders or crabs that triggers the impulse in the brain to run like hell or kill it, who knows maybe back then crabs and spiders were super huge and that is where it came from.

Well i tell a slight slant with the daddy long legs. It is actually the most deadly to humans however though anatomically the same the species evolved out the use of fangs, conventional fangs. There are 2 types of fangs vertical fangs and horizontal fangs for the smaller tiny bug eaters.

In all honesty I would say the most frightening spider/ tarantula has to be (DWA licence only, which I have) A. robustus - Sydney funnel web. Its bite is strong enough to break through solid bone at about 30% of its power and has been shown to do the same to steel. Nasty little critters with a bad temper of that of a thousand scorned wives and 100 grumpy old men. Never tap the glass!!!! you tell guests but do they listen? no.

You get guests :shock:

More than you think, people are scared but also curiosity. My housing officers for instance faked a reason to come round and "look about" just so they can take pictures to scare the women in the office. Family like sister in laws want to hold one etc but its all false sense of they are in a tank its ok, until they tap the glass. Other people think oh a chilli rose huh they are safe to hold, when im not around and get bitten and shot full of hairs that itch like mad. ANYONE tells you a g.rosea/ chilli rose is a good starter do not listen, its a misconception. They can be very aggressive more so than old world species, should see mine if i can drag up the file.

Hmm...

It starts with depending which you actually mean when you say Daddy Long Legs.

There's the Crane fly, which I think is the one Arwen was referring to:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/images/content/crane_fly_mosquito_hawk.jpg

Then there's the Harvestman, which isn't technically a spider still:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/images/content/daddy_long_leg_spider_harvestman_picture_2.JPG

And finally the Cellar spider, the spindly little gits that sit on the your bathroom ceiling:

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/spiders/cellar/cellar.jpg

It shouldn't really matter which one you pick though as there's no basis for fact in any ofthe claims.

Come on Spider-boy! You must have done some research on your pets :D know your subject! x

A very Interesting and impressive thread ! :thumb:

However;

... >skip< ...

It shouldn't really matter which one you pick though as there's no basis for fact in any ofthe claims.

I noticed that tsurugi-ijin posted her findings concerning Daddy Longlegs at exactly the same time I was 'googling' about the subject.

And I found the same (or similar) information as she did ! Apparently the story of 'Daddy' is a myth.

In the Info that I found it was mentioned even that it has been 'busted' on the TV-show Mythbusters (I presume the program is broadcast in the UK as well...).

I'm not really scared of spiders, and I leave them in peace when I spot one.

Only the big house spiders scare me sometimes when they are suddenly running across the room.

My daughter knew that I would not like to kill them, so she gave me this apparatus.

The bottom can be opened and closed by turning the knob at the top, while holding the tube,

Once the spider is caught in the transparant cone, you can let it go outside by opening the bottom again.

Spin-1.jpg.8480386d9a8630f7592f29dd8957e8c0.jpg

Place the 'trap' over the spider

Spin-2.jpg.ae831797c35f08aa539b7cdc9def8e99.jpg

Turn the knob, closing the bottom (carefully, so you don't cut off a leg or harm it otherwise).

Spin-3.jpg.fbbe35af75f6903e85deca5bd9551ee7.jpg

The spider can now be taken outside and let free by opening the bottom again.

P.S.: In the pictures I used a lttle doll of a Panda bear, as I don't have a plastic spider and there was not a live one around.

I think it's important to add that nobody should try to crush a panda bear with a shoe. During these cold months, pandas tend to enter homes at night time to feed on what they can forage from take away menu delivery services. Hitting one with a shoe can make it combust with the force of a 10kilotonne warhead. Although they have jaws that are powerful enough to chew through adamantium bones, the panda prefers to settle disputes with a game of charades - there is no reason to attack them if surprised, just make the international hand signal for "a play and a book". I hope that helps.

Beware though. One might think that Panda's, just like some hairy or furry looking spiders, are cuddly animals.

But never try to cuddle spiders nor panda's, you might end up in hospital, if not worse.

If you should come across a panda in your house, just catch it carefully as described above, and remove it.

And remember: Be respectful towards ALL living creatures and NEVER ever kill one, other than in a life threatening situation !

I'm glad that we all recognise the real danger posed by pandas and their inability to fit in with polite society.

As proven by our resident forum Panda. :roll:

P.S.: In the pictures I used a lttle doll of a Panda bear,

OMG and we will love you for this more than you will ever know :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Haha old-timer has passed the initiation tests with flying colours! :D Amazing!

Honestly I really need one of those grabby things... They look very handy!

I think it's important to add that nobody should try to crush a panda bear with a shoe. During these cold months, pandas tend to enter homes at night time to feed on what they can forage from take away menu delivery services. Hitting one with a shoe can make it combust with the force of a 10kilotonne warhead. Although they have jaws that are powerful enough to chew through adamantium bones, the panda prefers to settle disputes with a game of charades - there is no reason to attack them if surprised, just make the international hand signal for "a play and a book". I hope that helps.

You had me HOWLING at my desk at this :mrgreen: Thank you so much hahahaa