YBR 125 engine whine

Liveware Problem

Sounds like learning time, then :twisted:

I didn't know squat when I started out, and now I can rebuild dismantle my Honda into itty bitty pieces and stick it back together again using little more than the toolkit under the seat and a bit of guesswork [emoji38]

But it doesn't look like it did when it started.

Sounds like learning time, then :twisted:

I didn't know squat when I started out, and now I can rebuild dismantle my Honda into itty bitty pieces and stick it back together again using little more than the toolkit under the seat and a bit of guesswork [emoji38]

But it doesn't look like it did when it started.

Nah that's the other one, the CG is staying stock. Bodge free! :lol:

This is not a "hobby", it is a "necessary and UN-affordable means of getting to work", and I'll thank you all to never say otherwise to my wife.

Fixed it for you.

Yes but have you seen what a pig's ear I made of checking my chain and wheel alignment?

Not much chance of me fitting a new engine :lol:

If you have booked and are working towards getting your full license, you now have a ybr 125 you can happily pull to pieces and put back together in your own time, happy in the knowledge (when you get full license) you have another bike to get around on, that way you will learn plenty about bikes in general albeit on a smaller scale, you can have a go at fitting an engine and once done you can then sell on

Hi, how can they give you a firm quote without actually finding out what's wrong? Be very careful that could very easily escalate. I would ask them for a price to strip it and find the fault before you give approval for them to do a complete repair.

Hi, how can they give you a firm quote without actually finding out what's wrong? Be very careful that could very easily escalate. I would ask them for a price to strip it and find the fault before you give approval for them to do a complete repair.

I'm assuming they're not going to bother with any of that and just chuck a new engine in.

I'm assuming they're not going to bother with any of that and just chuck a new engine in.

And torque everything up nicely

For £400 mate not a chance. That's in for a repair and until it's stripped they will not know what's wrong with it. I can always remember someone in the trade telling me years ago that it costs a clear fortune to build a bike out of spares than the costs of buying a new one

The garage showed me the heavily scored piston head and knackered bearings from the engine, I said I wasn't up for spending £400 on repairing it so he offered me £250 for the bike.

I agreed, knowing I'd never get round to fixing it. However he phoned me this morning to tell me he didn't want the bike.. He'd replaced the piston head and bearings but it was still making the whining noise..

He reckons it is the main crankshaft bearing on the left-hand side, which apparently isn't economical to fix.

So I have the bike back, -£72 for the time he took to strip it down, but he didn't charge for the new parts and putting it back together.