ACF50 application and Chain lubing frequency....

Troy

Firstly, I just got some ACF50 and I never used the stuff before. Is there anything I should know when using it? For example:- any areas I should avoid? any areas commonly missed that should have it? any areas that are a must? Apply it with a brush?

Secondly, the dealership I took my bike too today to purchase the ACF50, was rather disappointed in the condition of my chain. It was fairly rusty looking even though it was only very early stages of corrosion. They happily placed it on a paddock stand and applied some chain lubricant. All is now well again! How often should a chain be lubricated? I hadn't ridden the bike for about 3 weeks so I can understand why it got into the state that it was, but let's say I use the bike daily, should it be lubricated weekly?

Thanks in advanced for your replies. I'm fairly savvy with cars but maintaining a motorcycle is new to me so I want to get educated to get the most out of my machine.

I think you're always going to get some surface rust on your chain in the winter, but it's not a problem if you keep on top of it. I lubricate mine weekly - I clean monthly. I got a Motul kit for £15, it had a decent brush, chain cleaner and chain lube in. Got all the rust off mine perfectly.

As far as ACF50 goes, don't put it on your brakes at all and you don't need it on your chain/sprockets either.

From there anything metal is pretty much OK to give a coating, Obviously aluminium parts won't rust anyway but I give it a little coating. Gear linkage usually gets some rust on so I pay particular attention to that area, I've also got flakey paint on my exhaust so I give that a good coating too. You can brush it on if you want, I just spray it all over though.

Firstly, I just got some ACF50 and I never used the stuff before. Is there anything I should know when using it? For example:- any areas I should avoid? any areas commonly missed that should have it? any areas that are a must? Apply it with a brush?

Secondly, the dealership I took my bike too today to purchase the ACF50, was rather disappointed in the condition of my chain. It was fairly rusty looking even though it was only very early stages of corrosion. They happily placed it on a paddock stand and applied some chain lubricant. All is now well again! How often should a chain be lubricated? I hadn't ridden the bike for about 3 weeks so I can understand why it got into the state that it was, but let's say I use the bike daily, should it be lubricated weekly?

Thanks in advanced for your replies. I'm fairly savvy with cars but maintaining a motorcycle is new to me so I want to get educated to get the most out of my machine.

For the chain, think about fitting an automatic oiler eg Scott, TUTORO or PD Oiler

Fit an automatic oiler, I use a Scott.

I rode 10 miles each way to work for over 2 years and in that time never had to clean the chain, I think I adjusted it once maybe twice.

I just had to keep the oiler topped up and adjust the rate as the weather changed, higher setting for winter.

Any chain drive bike I buy, fitting an oiler is one of the first things I do.

I rode 10 miles each way to work for over 2 years and in that time never had to clean the chain, I think I adjusted it once maybe twice.

I just had to keep the oiler topped up and adjust the rate as the weather changed, higher setting for winter.

I'm pretty tempted to fit one on my bike - how much are they to buy and fit? Or are they easy to do for someone who is really not that mechanically-minded?

I'm pretty tempted to fit one on my bike - how much are they to buy and fit? Or are they easy to do for someone who is really not that mechanically-minded?

The vacuum unit is as Stu said cost wise. they are reasonably easy to fit. if you check the Scott site

https://www.scottoiler.com/kb/article/cbf600-2008.html

they do specific fitting guides.

Strap reservoir to frame.

Vacuum pipe to reservoir

Oil feed pipe to rear sprocket

done

(I take no responsibility for the 5 days it takes to do this :wink: )

the electronic version is £200+.

There are other makes on the market

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=motorcycle+auto+chain+oiler

HTH

Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm getting mixed directions though on exactly how far I can go with the ACF50. I have seen others dismantle everything that can come off the bike and just spray wildly, and then there are others who apply it sparingly and with precision.