A few questions

painkiller

Sorry if posted wrong part of the forum.

short story- getting a zx9 on cheap from family member, pre purchase help

1) The sprockets have been changed from stock I think just the front end sprocket. I have never done this mod but in theory does it not change the accuracy of the speedometer? dont believe the actual work has been done as more to show off than figuring it all out properly.

2) brakes been replaced from a gixxer , that a good thing? or something a stupid person would do.

3) how do you safely and delicately remove a damn swastika from the tail? no way im riding around on a bike with that on it. Been told lighter fluid, but before I do something stupid like to ask the more experienced.

If it is a viynal sticker, gently heat it up with a hair dryer or simmilar then peel it off. Chain cleaner is good at getting rid of the sticky residue.

Changing the number of teeth on the sprocket can effect the speedometer - certainly on my bike it does.

You'll need to compare the number of teeth on yours with what is stock then do some maths, or find someone who already has.

Alternatively, get an accurate GPS tracker and test how accurate your speedometer is.

Edited by Arwen

Alternatively, get an accurate GPS tracker and test how accurate your speedometer is.

Did that then used a speedohealer from Healtech to correct the speedo reading.

2) brakes been replaced from a gixxer , that a good thing? or something a stupid person would do.

do you mean the standard tokico 6 pot calipers have been changed to the nissin 4 pots? if so, yes good!

It sounds like they came off a gsx 1000 not sure on what they are though.

I think I will change it all back to stock, sprockets wise. Got caught on a speed trap warning doing 41 mph and the dash read 28, less fuss to change it to stock. Also seems to be losing power on the top end in favour of a little lower end kick.

Needs more work than i thought, certainly needs balancing it feels like it wobbles side to side.

Most bikes are overgeared to achieve better fuel efficiency/emissions figures for homologation , so swapping the front for a -1 is often a good idea.

yes you will lose top end speed, but the acceleration increase will be worth while.

Most bikes are overgeared to achieve better fuel efficiency/emissions figures for homologation , so swapping the front for a -1 is often a good idea.

yes you will lose top end speed, but the acceleration increase will be worth while.

And yet my zx6 is still faster in acceleration, beat this bike on a track last year. So you think I should keep the mods? since it needs work I may just ferry it to get tuned in my local trusted mechanic. For a family discount will cost me more in the end than anything else.

And yet my zx6 is still faster in acceleration, beat this bike on a track last year. So you think I should keep the mods? since it needs work I may just ferry it to get tuned in my local trusted mechanic. For a family discount will cost me more in the end than anything else.

I really find that hard to believe!!

I worked out that on a zx9 and by your own admission of doing 41 but the dash reading 28 you would need a gearing of 15 teeth front sprocket and 55 teeth rear sprocket as apposed the the standard 16/41 with this gearing the bike would be a wheelie machine in probably the first three gears and the acceleration would be mental!!

even a stock zx9 with stock gearing would piss all over a zx6 on acceleration I know as I have seen it happen on more than one occasion!

Gearing mods is one thing I do not know much about, never ventured into it personally before now. Maybe on the track was before the mod and to be honest your explanation could explain the broken forearm. My zx6 was previously modded by the last owner for speed on a track it was his track/ road legal bike dont ask me how I honestly dont know, all i do know is i can get 0-60 just like that without leaving 1st.

ok question is this possible since you have more exp with zx9:- to ride up a hill at steep climb at 95mph in 1st one handed over a distance of <100ft?

3) how do you safely and delicately remove a damn swastika from the tail? no way im riding around on a bike with that on it. Been told lighter fluid, but before I do something stupid like to ask the more experienced.

Nope. Bikes f**ked... Possessed with no redemption.

Burn it to ash.

In all seriousness, follow Arwens advice or just buy replacement fairings off Ebay. They shouldn't be too much..

I'd also take this as a good opportunity to put a fresh chain on it and buy new, standard sized, sprockets.

I worked out that on a zx9 and by your own admission of doing 41 but the dash reading 28 you would need a gearing of 15 teeth front sprocket and 55 teeth rear sprocket as apposed the the standard 16/41 with this gearing the bike would be a wheelie machine in probably the first three gears and the acceleration would be mental!!

Think you got that the wrong way round Stu - dash said 28, speed trap said 41 means huge sprocket on the front and tiny one on the rear. That would account for the shit acceleration. The PO probably wanted max top end bragging rights.

Using a theoretical ratio to attain the claimed figures (which would no way physically fit), the top speed would be 250mph.

No wonder you beat it on track as it would be bollocks to ride and would accelerate like a wheezy snail.

Think you got that the wrong way round Stu - dash said 28, speed trap said 41 means huge sprocket on the front and tiny one on the rear. That would account for the shit acceleration. The PO probably wanted max top end bragging rights.

Using a theoretical ratio to attain the claimed figures (which would no way physically fit), the top speed would be 250mph.

No wonder you beat it on track as it would be bollocks to ride and would accelerate like a wheezy snail.

Do you know what

You are right!

even so it would make the bike unrideable! with the gearing to alter it that much it wouldn't even pull from 1st gear!

Do you know what

You are right!

even so it would make the bike unrideable! with the gearing to alter it that much it wouldn't even pull from 1st gear!

Now I have worked it out the right way round 18 tooth front 30 rear 260mph top end

110 top speed in 1st

still not happening either way :lol: :lol: :lol:

The decal was a nazi biker chick waving the flag, most of it was removed but started to pull off paint with the decal so its been left on there to prevent further damage to the fairings but just brought a touch up kit. When the bike is delivered its the first thing thats going.

The member I am taking it from loves bragging rights more than ANYTHING and will do anything to stay on top, apparently selling to buy a zx12r because got beaten by another family member on a FZS600 (modded like a pro). Coming from someone that claims for a year straight his rs125 would beat my bros 400 flat out - which led to the track race. The stories I could tell, as insane as I am ... make me laugh.

I have no wish for top end speed, I like to ride period to go fast yes sometimes, to race ... guilty but having a stupidly modded machine to compensate for something clearly lacking, na.

I might respray, its a 96 purple and orangy colouration i like it, its bold but your right a full black respray with some nice artwork.

Do me a favour if the missus asks, im doing it up for someone on here lol shhhh

she thinks im starting a harem or something....