Expected road mileage of an O-ring chain

CrusaderPhil

The only chain failure I've ever had is when I used Wurth Dry Chain lube.

I had a Bandit 600 which, for the first two years, was a fair weather bike and at 7,000 miles the chain was in perfect nick.

Then I changed work locations and started commuting on it. As soon as they salted the roads the chain went orange and seized half of it's links within days.

Seems to me that Dry Lube offers next to no corrosion protection.

All of my chains before or since have been lubed with either engine oil or PJ1. And all of them have lasted 20,000+ miles quite easily.

Just as thought O-Ring chains crap for winter riding

Seems DJP is suggesting it is the type of lubrication being used not O ring chains specifically. I have ridden bike through winter an have always use a drip oiler, Scott or similar, and chains lasted ok.

Oil does not pass an o ring, but water does that is the problem

A mate of mine used to get around 25k out of his before he would change it but he ran a scottoiler and was anal about cleaning it! like after every ride

What a tool. I've run a Scottoiler for several years, all through the winter, and one of the main reasons for doing so is that once you get the lube rate right you don't need to clean the chain.

A mate of mine used to get around 25k out of his before he would change it but he ran a scottoiler and was anal about cleaning it! like after every ride

What a tool. I've run a Scottoiler for several years, all through the winter, and one of the main reasons for doing so is that once you get the lube rate right you don't need to clean the chain.

Now I like the sound of that!

...Just as thought O-Ring chains crap for winter riding

I wouldn't say that at all.

I've run O Ring chains through about 30 years worth of winters mostly without issue.

The only failure that I've ever had was down to using dry lube.

On my last 1250 the chain did 6 winters and 30,000 miles and was still in good nick when I sold the bike.

It's all a matter of proper lubrication and adjustment.

Thinking out loud here...

The o-ring is there to prevent the lubrication (thats put in during the chain manufacturing process) from getting out and to prevent dirt, water and dust from getting in.

We lube our chains to lubricate the surfaces between the sprockets and chain (and to keep them from rusting and looking bad)

The lube we apply doesn't pass by the o-ring. (Or does it??)

If lube can pass the o-ring then so too could water and dirt and once water and dirt is inside the chain is doomed.

So, for an o-ring chain to fail it suggests a failure of the o-ring seal, not lack of or choice of chain lubrication?

Is that how others see these things working??

Thinking out loud here...

The o-ring is there to prevent the lubrication (thats put in during the chain manufacturing process) from getting out and to prevent dirt, water and dust from getting in.

We lube our chains to lubricate the surfaces between the sprockets and chain (and to keep them from rusting and looking bad)

The lube we apply doesn't pass by the o-ring. (Or does it??)

If lube can pass the o-ring then so too could water and dirt and once water and dirt is inside the chain is doomed.

So, for an o-ring chain to fail it suggests a failure of the o-ring seal, not lack of or choice of chain lubrication?

Is that how others see these things working??

That was my thinking, that's why I thought the chain may have not been assembled at the factory properly.

So do we conclude that no amount of lubrication or cleaning can prevent an o-ring chain from ceasing up?

And that lube only really prolongs the life of the sprockets and roller faces?

So do we conclude that no amount of lubrication or cleaning can prevent an o-ring chain from ceasing up?

And that lube only really prolongs the life of the sprockets and roller faces?

No!

Otherwise those neglected chains would last just as long as well looked after chains

The seals are there to help keep oil in and water out but does not stop it

There must be some give in the o-rings to allow the rollers on the chain to roll......so there must therefore be a way for water and dirt to get in.....and also for the lube to get in. I wonder how much of the original grease you would find inside the rollers if you cut a chain open at the end of its life?

I would imagine the rings need some kind of lubrication to keep them supple and able to move.

Yep....because heat and stressing could cause the o-rings to harden and crack......so maybe you've hit the nail on the head there, Joe..... 8-)

I wonder how much of the original grease you would find inside the rollers if you cut a chain open at the end of its life?

I have a chain that has lived outside for some while I may have to cut it open :lol:

I wonder how much of the original grease you would find inside the rollers if you cut a chain open at the end of its life?

I have a chain that has lived outside for some while I may have to cut it open :lol:

Haha another Stu experiment! should start your own YouTube channel. like a bike specific mythbusters...

Haha another Stu experiment! should start your own YouTube channel. like a bike specific mythbusters...

It sounds like a plan but I am camera shy and judging by my video skills on my first attempt I'm also shit :lol: :lol:

I think that the main point of lubing an O Ring Chain is to keep the seals supple and to prevent corrosion. After all, if the plates go rusty they'll soon tear up the seals.

I think if you do the standard, lube every 600 miles or so, adjust every month or so it will keep the chain in good condition, however I think the life span is more to do with your style of riding than what type of chain it is or how often you clean it or if you use special lapping powders and whisper sweet nothings to it :)

If we get a good bout of hot dry weather in the summer I can go through a chain in around 1000 miles of hard riding and yet in the winter months with all the crap on the road and the washing the bike I could get maybe 5000 miles before needing a new one. I would conclude, for me its more to do with how hard I am on and off the power rather than the type of chain or how well I have love it :)

If we get a good bout of hot dry weather in the summer I can go through a chain in around 1000 miles of hard riding and yet in the winter months with all the crap on the road and the washing the bike I could get maybe 5000 miles before needing a new one. I would conclude, for me its more to do with how hard I am on and off the power rather than the type of chain or how well I have love it :)

You either buy really cheap crappy chains or you have zero mechanical sympathy!!

You either buy really cheap crappy chains or you have zero mechanical sympathy!!

I always buy DID chains but like anything if you ride it hard you will wear it out quicker. Mechanically my bikes are always looked after and serviced/ regular oil changes.

You can destroy a chain in a single day at a track :)

I always buy DID chains but like anything if you ride it hard you will wear it out quicker. Mechanically my bikes are always looked after and serviced/ regular oil changes.

I still find it hard to believe you are killing a new chain in 1000miles, but if you are, D.I.D chains have a 6month /10,000 mile warranty so i hope you're getting them replaced for free!

I still find it hard to believe you are killing a new chain in 1000miles, but if you are, D.I.D chains have a 6month /10,000 mile warranty so i hope you're getting them replaced for free!

I put 8k on the D.I.D chain on the tl with lots of rough arse wheelies it's still on the bike now that my brother uses to commute on in all weather's!!

I also rode it like I stole it all the time!

I put 8k on the D.I.D chain on the tl with lots of rough arse wheelies it's still on the bike now that my brother uses to commute on in all weather's!!

I also rode it like I stole it all the time!

Exactly. I think anyone who thinks they ride hard enough on the road to destroy a chain in 1000miles needs to prove it....

:popcorn:

Is now a good time to mention I'm on the original chain and sprockets on my ZX6r? :-)

Nearly 11 years old, lubed... a few times, done track days, covered quite a few miles in all weather and lived outside for some years.

Laziness has it's advantages.