CBT questions

Hi, I'm 20 im curious to know if I take my cbt that allows me on the road correct? However what does that entitle me to ride at my age? Can I jump on a ninja 250 for example or am I limited to what I can ride on cbt regardless of age. Thank for any help.

Hi Tom,

A CBT lets you ride a 125CC with a max power output of 11KW, doesn't matter what age you are. If you wanted the 250 Ninja you'd have to go for your A2 licence, this is age restricted, you'd have to have that 2 years before being able to ride any bike or wait until you're 24 to do a DAS.

you have to do the cbt first but then you can jump straight in to the a2 tests.

you'll need to do the bike specific theory before the a2 stuff

best thing you can do is find a riding school give them a call tell them what you want and see what they can offer you course wise :thumb:

Cheers thanks for the replays guys. How come I've seen people riding bikes over a 125 with an L plate on the back is that legal to do ?

I have only seen that when people have been training for their full licence. Saw a guy last Saturday on a 600cc with L plates with his instructor riding behind him.

Cheers thanks for the replays guys. How come I've seen people riding bikes over a 125 with an L plate on the back is that legal to do ?

You can if you've passed your full motorbike licence, yes (I think) although why would you!

At the school I went to the instructor would often use one of the school's bikes, which all have L plates on. Also if you're training with a qualified instructor (i.e. he is out on the road supervising you) and you've already passed your CBT then you can ride a bike above 125cc with L-plates.

Otherwise, it's illegal, as far as I'm aware.

I was under the impression that it's actually illegal to ride (or drive) with L plates if you've passed your test? When you passed your instructor should have crossed through the plate or removed it for the ride back.

but Hoggs, I hear you say, loads of parents stick L plates on their car then never bother covering them when they use it without the learner. Well they are dirty wronguns and you should kick their wingmirrors off as you go past*

*don't this is also illegal

I was under the impression that it's actually illegal to ride (or drive) with L plates if you've passed your test? When you passed your instructor should have crossed through the plate or removed it for the ride back.

but Hoggs, I hear you say, loads of parents stick L plates on their car then never bother covering them when they use it without the learner. Well they are dirty wronguns and you should kick their wingmirrors off as you go past*

Im pretty sure it isn't illegal, I think it's just frowned upon.

Im pretty sure it isn't illegal, I think it's just frowned upon.

hmm but you're always wrong so...

There's only one way to settle this :mrgreen:

Please help !

help please

The government website says they "should" be removed. Which if it was a legal requirement I think it would say "must".

A lot of car instructors drive with L plates on their car when they are behind the wheel.

There were L plates on the ER6N I was taught on, and although I followed the instructor back (as opposed to him following me) nothing was changed on the plates.

Most unnerving thing was not having him talking in my ear! Was fine without instructions/directions, but I missed his comments and observations on stuff going on around us! :lol: For the record, he didn't distract us with these from the beginning, only as things were more progressed.

As far as I am aware, bike training school bikes are insured for anyone to ride, regardless of qualification. That's why you can ride them back after your passed test, and go for enhanced lessons after you have passed your test and use a school bike.

Training school cars however are insured for learners, and the (usually named) instructor only. When I passed my car test, I was not allowed to drive back as I was then not included on the training schools insurance.

So basically, the 125cc+ bikes with L plates are training school bikes. If they are not, then it is probably someone riding illegally.

There is no law that says a full licence holder must remove L plates. he Highway Code says "Should remove" not "Must", but no offence is commited regardless.

In other words it is pefectly legal for a full licence holder to ride a bike displaying L plates regardless of engine size.

If you are doing DAS, then you are permitted to ride a bike larger than 125 providing L plates are displayed to the front and rear of the bike (normal rule) and the rider is being accompanied/supervised by a qualified instructor with radio communication and both riders must display a bib or tabard with the name of the school.

Failure to display even just 1 L plate is a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100 (and each L plate offence is a seperate offence) or if the L plate is anything but 7 inches square (the size you buy them) or they are not clearly visible, then the same penalty applies.

As far as I am aware, bike training school bikes are insured for anyone to ride, regardless of qualification. That's why you can ride them back after your passed test, and go for enhanced lessons after you have passed your test and use a school bike.

Training school cars however are insured for learners, and the (usually named) instructor only. When I passed my car test, I was not allowed to drive back as I was then not included on the training schools insurance.

So basically, the 125cc+ bikes with L plates are training school bikes. If they are not, then it is probably someone riding illegally.

Can I ask who told you this? Because whoever it was is Incorrect.

The reason you were not allowed to drive back after your car test is because of your state of euphoria of having passed and your ability to concetrate whilst you are still on a high. This has been standard paractice since the 70's

As above. Providing they are on accompanoed y a qualified instructor, but L plates must be showing to the front and rear.

There is no law that says a full licence holder must remove L plates. he Highway Code says "Should remove" not "Must", but no offence is commited regardless.

In other words it is pefectly legal for a full licence holder to ride a bike displaying L plates regardless of engine size.

Brilliant, I can legally fit L-plates to my bike and go out and see if people really do treat learners differently, or if its complete paranoia from people with L-plates.

Failure to display even just 1 L plate is a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100 (and each L plate offence is a seperate offence) or if the L plate is anything but 7 inches square (the size you buy them) or they are not clearly visible, then the same penalty applies.

Oops, I cut down one of those stick on L plates for the front mud guard on my ybr.. I'm guessing it's not something you're likely to be pulled up for though!

Brilliant, I can legally fit L-plates to my bike and go out and see if people really do treat learners differently, or if its complete paranoia from people with L-plates.

Not sure that's a fair test unless you're on a 125 and riding somewhat erratically :P

I'm sick of people tailgating me. I hate it most when it's dark because their headlights constantly in my mirrors is slightly unnerving.

Not helped by all these 20mph zones on main roads in London. I can understand using them in side roads and narrow streets but main roads?

Not helped by all these 20mph zones on main roads in London. I can understand using them in side roads and narrow streets but main roads?

Oh like ALL OF ISLINGTON :evil:

It's funny. As a cyclist I was all in favour but now I'm seeing the other side.

Constantly checking your speedo, checking your mirrors for cars up your ass either trying to force you to speed up or risking dodgy overtakes. How is this safer?

I'd rather have strict enforcement of the 30mph limit on these roads.