CBT questions

There is no law that says a full licence holder must remove L plates. he Highway Code says "Should remove" not "Must", but no offence is commited regardless.

In other words it is pefectly legal for a full licence holder to ride a bike displaying L plates regardless of engine size.

Brilliant, I can legally fit L-plates to my bike and go out and see if people really do treat learners differently, or if its complete paranoia from people with L-plates.

I'm sick of people tailgating me. I hate it most when it's dark because their headlights constantly in my mirrors is slightly unnerving.

Not helped by all these 20mph zones on main roads in London. I can understand using them in side roads and narrow streets but main roads?

But none of that will change by removing the L-plates....

This is a prime example is where someone blames the L-plates for the way they are treated when in reality the cars are always going to tailgate a biker doing the speed limit.

Oops, I cut down one of those stick on L plates for the front mud guard on my ybr.. I'm guessing it's not something you're likely to be pulled up for though!

Oh yes. I have known a few get done for it. Look at it this way, it is one of the easiest offences to report for, and when I used to have a probationer come on attachment to traffic, it was always one of the offences I got them to report for becaue it was so easy but helped the youngsters develop their evidence gathering and writing up reports. 3 points and £100 for each chopped down plate.

One for TC

Should CBT riders carry the original certificate with them all the time or would a scanned colour copy be okay?

There is no legal requirement to carry any documents on you. However, if you wish to carry your certificate, then carry the original. It avoids you being detained for longer than is neccasary or being scrutinised if you have the original, and avoids a trip down to the local Police station to produce it. If you produce a scanned copy then it will simply delay you longer.

Can I ask who told you this? Because whoever it was is Incorrect.

It was my driving instructor.

He/She should of all people know better. Doesn't surprise me though. My Brother in Law is a driving instructor and doesn't have a clue either :wink:

Oops, I cut down one of those stick on L plates for the front mud guard on my ybr.. I'm guessing it's not something you're likely to be pulled up for though!

Oh yes. I have known a few get done for it. Look at it this way, it is one of the easiest offences to report for, and when I used to have a probationer come on attachment to traffic, it was always one of the offences I got them to report for becaue it was so easy but helped the youngsters develop their evidence gathering and writing up reports. 3 points and £100 for each chopped down plate.

Wow! I guess Reading police are preoccupied with more pressing matters then, I've passed quite a few police cars with the cut-down plate on.

Wow! I guess Reading police are preoccupied with more pressing matters then, I've passed quite a few police cars with the cut-down plate on.

Thames Valley (which covers Reading) have virtually done away with Traffic division and most local division are not interested in traffic work.

But, you have to also remember that L plates are required for a reason, the offences are there for a reason, and I always consider someone riding with cut down L plates as taking the p1ss.

So now I have you marked doen as a p1ss taker :wink: :)

Finally, the new bods had to be taught how to report for offences.

My L Plates are rounded off front & back - I always thought it wasn't allowed! It appears rounding off is fine!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/l-plate-size-rules/l-plate-sizes

Despite what it says It isn't.

Once you round off the edges they are deemed to have been trimmed down or reduced in size from standard and so the commital of the offence is complete. (there is case law on it)

However, if the main body of the L plate is by and large standard size then 99.9% of coppers are not going to be that pedantic. What matters is that the L plate is clearly visible to the front and rear of the vehicle

Thames Valley (which covers Reading) have virtually done away with Traffic division and most local division are not interested in traffic work.

But, you have to also remember that L plates are required for a reason, the offences are there for a reason, and I always consider someone riding with cut down L plates as taking the p1ss.

So now I have you marked doen as a p1ss taker :wink: :)

Finally, the new bods had to be taught how to report for offences.

Haha, well no more L plates for me now :)

Just need to learn to ride my bike at least semi-competantly :P