That thread that went off on a tangent about Thatcher

NeilM

questions from the young'uns at work..."Hey Dean, what does NCB mean?"...

no claims bonus... right?

Ha! I hadn't thought of that. Good one Hoggs! The sad thing is a few years ago the local kids were hanging about me and dad's garage as they did when we were working on engines and they spied a huge piece of coal on the shelf which dad had as a sort of ornament/memento from his days down the pits... the bairns asked what it was and when we told them they were really mystified and asked, "what is coal?" It made me old da a bit sad that they didn't know but I guess that is progress!

coal is what Santa brings naughty children!!

I have black country roots so I'm down with the coal :wink:

Coal is also what they use to first foot at new year. Weird thing is, when I lived in Somerset and London, the folks down there didn't know about "first footing". But up here and across the border it is standard to have a man (preferably tall and dark and handsome..well, I'm 5' 11" and have nae hair and am nae handsome) bringing a bit of coal across the threshold on the new year. Sorry.. this thread seems to have gone off at a tangent ;)

it's in general chat now it's allowed to go off on tangents :lol: the rest of them have :roll:

I've heard about first footing but did think twas mainly a Scottish thing.

Ah that is grand then, I wasn't sure of forum rules :) Aye it is a Scottish thing but us Northumberland folk tend to have more Scots traditions (including the dialect) than we have English ones. That way we get to choose whose side we are one depending how bad things are going ;) I'll never forget one new year when I was about 9 or 10, I went outside across the yard to go to the toilet (still had outside lavvy until 1985.. typical NCB-owned houses!) it had turned midnight and my dear owld granny who was incredibly superstitious, wouldn't let me back indoors until a suitable first foot turned up. She kept me waiting outside in the snow until the tall lad from a few doors along came in searching for a free booze-up. Oh the good old days.. :roll:

it had turned midnight and my dear owld granny who was incredibly superstitious, wouldn't let me back indoors until a suitable first foot turned up. She kept me waiting outside in the snow until the tall lad from a few doors along came in searching for a free booze-up. Oh the good old days.. :roll:

builds character! or that's what they tell you :lol: I may plan a trip to the black Country museum haven't been in years and was a fun day out as I recall (maybe less so if you lived through it!) they have an awesome sweet shop there too! forum ride out anyone?? :lol:

Also "forum rules" ha! ha! hahahaha

Thatcher took my school Milk away :cry:

Bugger off!

you will have left school well before that :lol:

And to think you risked your life flying a spitfire for some old bat to take our milk and cancel our swimming lessons.

it had turned midnight and my dear owld granny who was incredibly superstitious, wouldn't let me back indoors until a suitable first foot turned up. She kept me waiting outside in the snow until the tall lad from a few doors along came in searching for a free booze-up. Oh the good old days.. :roll:

builds character! or that's what they tell you :lol: I may plan a trip to the black Country museum haven't been in years and was a fun day out as I recall (maybe less so if you lived through it!) they have an awesome sweet shop there too! forum ride out anyone?? :lol:

Oh aye.. builds character! And gives ye a fear of massive spiders at 1am when there is a huge monster killer spider dangling above yer head by the guttering fitful light of a hurricane lantern, making forbidding arachnid shadows large enough to send hideous tremors of chilling fear down the shivering spine of any 9 year old... Sorry.. We were recording an Edgar Allen Poe book of short

stories at work today and got a bit carried away... worst thing about the outside lavatory was the bliddy frozen cistern.

We did the bearish museum with the kid's. Very good day out.

Also for any with an interest in mining. Do the national coal mining museum. Inbetween Huddersfield Barnsley and Wakefield. Free in and you get to go underground etc.

Used to take the kid's to see Santa there. His grotto was at the seam. Santa was always an ex miner from wakey. Proper rough arse Santa :cheers:

We did the bearish museum with the kid's. Very good day out.

Also for any with an interest in mining. Do the national coal mining museum. Inbetween Huddersfield Barnsley and Wakefield. Free in and you get to go underground etc.

Used to take the kid's to see Santa there. His grotto was at the seam. Santa was always an ex miner from wakey. Proper rough arse Santa :cheers:

Beamish is good. And Tanfield railway is too if ye are in that area. I used to explore abandoned lead mines in the North Pennines/Cumbria/Durham, mainly Nenthead in Cumbria.. not tourist mines, but mines which were literally abandoned and forgotten.. and not open to the public..(H&S would have a fit actually) often we would spend many weeks digging out the collapsed entrances...old mines that had been closed and abandoned in the 18th/19th centuries.. it was amazing to find stuff that had just been left when the mines closed, still intact as if the workers had just finished their shifts... cases of unused dynamite,. old newspapers from the 1800s, old bottles, old tallow candles, amazing bits of Victorian machinery, old oil lamps, all kinds of stuff.. walking into a mine like that was a real time capsule. I would love to be doing it again but it aint something you do on your own.

We had a forum trip to Cadbury World once! :lol:

Think I've found the winner of bat-shit crazy politics. Behold the manifesto of an Independent candidate in Stoke!

https://abolishmcrm.com/party-constitution-and-manifesto/

This manifesto has to be a joke. I can't believe this is at all genuine. Or perhaps i am just a bit naive. What is his problem with disabled people? My old man didn't fight in the war so he could have his blue badge abolished. Well... he didn't fight in the war at all as he was only 2 in 1944 but you know what I mean.

Think I've found the winner of bat-shit crazy politics. Behold the manifesto of an Independent candidate in Stoke!

This manifesto has to be a joke. I can't believe this is at all genuine. Or perhaps i am just a bit naive. What is his problem with disabled people? My old man didn't fight in the war so he could have his blue badge abolished. Well... he didn't fight in the war at all as he was only 2 in 1944 but you know what I mean.

I wish it was a joke, I really do. However:

http://m.stokesentinel.co.uk/arrested-stoke-on-trent-central-by-election-candidate-i-ve-done-nothing-wrong/story-30136133-detail/story.html

I wish it was a joke, I really do. However:

http://m.stokesentinel.co.uk/arrested-stoke-on-trent-central-by-election-candidate-i-ve-done-nothing-wrong/story-30136133-detail/story.html

jezuz this is why teaching old people to use the internet is a bad idea

Great - another embarrassment from my home town, as if Robbie Williams and the captain of the Titanic weren't enough.

Still, she may be on to something with the disabled parking spaces. Every supermarket I go to has ten times more disabled spaces than parent and child spaces. Is that really how they see their customer demographic? :scratch: