Looking for thoughts on CBT situation

(Apologies if this post is in the wrong section, but it seemed appropriate)

Hi everyone, just asking for any idea on my current situation on my route into learning to ride. For a bit of background knowledge, I am 17, my father used to ride an R1 and I used to watch some MotoGP as a younger kid, so I "think" my motivation to learn to ride is not the problem.

However, on writing this I am about to attempt my CBT for the 3rd time tomorrow. I am pretty demotivated, embarrassed and just looking for advice from someone who might have gone through a similar experience.

On my first attempt, I had never gotten near to a bike before. I had commuted to 6th Form on a pushbike for about 2 years prior to attempting the CBT, and had read up on some Highway Code and the controls of the geared 125cc. I was with one other person, who had ridden before (maybe before regulations like this were in place?) and so he was much more comfortable. The talks about gear, road safety and the bike were fine. After some difficulty with the control Element, and being offered to move down onto an automatic 50cc, I persevered and got halfway through learning (finished at the figure-of-8 / slow riding portion) but it was obvious I wasn't going to get on the road in time. I really enjoyed being on the bike, however I felt pressured throughout the course.

Round 2, one week later, and the Instructor decided my riding had improved enough on the various techniques and we were able to go on the road. After about 40m into the ride, and 2 or 3 mistakes I was aware of, I was told to head back. It was my first time on the road, and I'm pretty sure there were some circumstance I could have improved on; I was incredibly dehydrated before setting out, and probably let nerves get to me more than I thought. I was told that at times I was rushing ahead, and at other times I over-analyzed things. I made two mistakes I could thing of where I stalled on a hill start with low revs, and also where I took a junction corner slightly wide. I know how I made these mistakes and what I could have done to correct them, but at the time I couldn't entirely think straight.

I've been advised to retake the test on a 50cc scooter, which is what I am doing tomorrow. While I've been told it will be easier (no clutch / gear shifting to think about), and will allow me to focus on the road, it seems very counter-productive considering I aim to get a 125 after passing. I feel crushed even taking the "test" for a 3rd time, considering the course is designed for novices to pass first time.

I don't want to be put off riding, nor do I want to downgrade to buying a moped if I manage to pass. But passing on a 50cc only to buy a geared 125cc feels like I've just circumvented the point of being safe and that I could be a danger on the road. However I have no method to practice without the CBT, and I really don't want to risk failing again, even if I think I might have improved and be more confident on the road.

Sorry for the novel, and thanks in advance if anyone has any thoughts on the situation.

Hello and Welcome :D

I thought the CBT wasn't a pass or fail thing!

You only have to complete the training?

I would think that the training school/instructor must be at least

partly at fault!

Keep going, it's worth it in the end :D

im pretty sure you cant do the cbt on a scooter then get a geared bike after passing! I may be wrong though.

You can do the CBT on auto then ride a geared afterwards. They are thinking of changing it but not as of yet.

No easy answer but if you've struggled on 2 attempts, do it on an scooter just to get the bloody certificate. That will surely take the pressure off and then pay for a couple of hours lessons or. however many you need on a geared bike.

Good luck :cheers:

Hello and Welcome :D

I thought the CBT wasn't a pass or fail thing!

You only have to complete the training?

I would think that the training school/instructor must be at least

partly at fault!

Keep going, it's worth it in the end :D

It is and isn't :scratch:

You can only complete the training if you pass each module/element, 5 in total. If you fail or don't meet a satisfactory standard for each module you can't progress on to the next one

For 17 years old you seem a very grounded lad.

I agree about doing your cbt on a geared bike. When I did mine, the instructor gave me some good tips and training that he obviously didn't give to the other 2 trainee's on autos.

But, seeing as you already have it booked on a 50cc and if the school won't let you swap. Get it done and use it to learn some road sense.

Then look into extra lessons either with a school or maybe your dad?

I'd echo what the others are saying. Sit it and get the certificate on the scooter, then you can practice in your own time.

To be honest, if you hadn't rebooked I'd say go to a different school. What are they saying you are not competent enough with yet?

I was incredibly dehydrated before setting out,

This affects you a whole lot more than you probably think. Someone was telling me of a very very experienced rider who hadn't drank much all day and clocked up a lot of miles, then attempted a silly overtake. Make sure you have a good breakfast and take advantage of any free tea and coffee going at the training centre!

and being offered to move down onto an automatic 50cc,

[...]

I've been advised to retake the test on a 50cc scooter, which is what I am doing tomorrow.

I don't think this is very good of the school at all, especially if you have mentioned that you will be riding a geared bike. The whole point of the CBT is to ensure you have the basic skills needed to safely ride a bike on the road. To me, it feels they are trying to rush you through and get rid of you even though they are aware that you do not yet have the skills to safely ride on the roads on a geared bike.

It isn't a test and there is no embarrassment at all at not being able to do it immediately - however if you are not confident after completing the training then it's all a bit pointless. I would seriously consider talking to the school and mentioning this, if they do not seem to be taking your safety seriously then I would consider going elsewhere.

Just my two cents! It's dangerous out there on the roads on a bike. I did my CBT on a geared bike and had one to practise on but I think I just pootled around carparks and local roads (I was insured!) for a couple weeks before I really felt ready to tackle the commute (on the north circular which is a learning experience :shock: )

Anyways bottom line don't give up and keep us updated :thumb:

My view is that if havent reached a standard that you can confidently complete the cbt then you shouldn't be on the road on your own.

That said you're far from alone and many othere take multiple attempts. There's no shame in that.

Perhaps the instructor you've had isn't great or not suited to your way of learning. It could also be possible that the school uses cheap crap bikes that are harder to ride than most 125s. I know that's an issue at one school near me. I found it tricky to do some of the manoeuvres on one and I have plenty of experience. Worth trying somewhere else.

I was incredibly dehydrated before setting out,

This affects you a whole lot more than you probably think. Someone was telling me of a very very experienced rider who hadn't drank much all day and clocked up a lot of miles, then attempted a silly overtake. Make sure you have a good breakfast and take advantage of any free tea and coffee going at the training centre!

and being offered to move down onto an automatic 50cc,

[...]

I've been advised to retake the test on a 50cc scooter, which is what I am doing tomorrow.

I don't think this is very good of the school at all, especially if you have mentioned that you will be riding a geared bike. The whole point of the CBT is to ensure you have the basic skills needed to safely ride a bike on the road. To me, it feels they are trying to rush you through and get rid of you even though they are aware that you do not yet have the skills to safely ride on the roads on a geared bike.

It isn't a test and there is no embarrassment at all at not being able to do it immediately - however if you are not confident after completing the training then it's all a bit pointless. I would seriously consider talking to the school and mentioning this, if they do not seem to be taking your safety seriously then I would consider going elsewhere.

Just my two cents! It's dangerous out there on the roads on a bike. I did my CBT on a geared bike and had one to practise on but I think I just pootled around carparks and local roads (I was insured!) for a couple weeks before I really felt ready to tackle the commute (on the north circular which is a learning experience :shock: )

Anyways bottom line don't give up and keep us updated :thumb:

:stupid: I agree with all of this, and would definitely consider a different school. You might find that simply a different instructor and context is enough to make the difference to your approach.

Hey everyone, thanks very very much for the comments. I truly appreciate the support and am humbled by the number of responses already :D

I passed it today on a automatic, felt very much like taking a step back from the geared bike and I guess I was able to focus much more on the road. Instructor was perfectly comfortable with how the road portion went and commented that he felt I would be okay if I got a geared bike afterwards despite the complications.

That said, I am going to take everyone's advice, buy a 125 and gear, and try to get some practice in on the roads now that I have the certificate. Again, I really appreciate the response, so thanks a lot everyone :D

*Probably just to expand on things, I should have mentioned that I don't think the school / instructor was at fault, and I think the reason he chose to "fail" me the 2nd time round was for the same reasons you guys seems to emphasize a lot: safety.

I imagine the instructor felt my riding ability on the 125 was okay (in the controlled environment of the paddock), but that he chose to put me on the automatic just to build up road confidence? Regardless, I plan to try to find some quiet roads to try to build up more confidence with being on the road on a 125, and will try to stick around to let people know. Again, thanks for the replies. :thumb:

Don't worry about it mate, get yourself a 125 - they're easier to ride on a road rather than a car park. The CBT is just a process you have to go through to get on the road legally, the learning starts now :). Just do short rides on the 125 when it's quiet at first, you'll feel sound in no time at all!

Well done! I spent a few hours on my 125 just going up and down my street and around the cul-de-sac's when I first got it. Got me used to the controls and how it felt before having to think about road position and stuff too much!

Have fun!

I can only imagine how much stress you are put under doing a CBT before being able to drive a car, I know I would never have coped learning my way around a vehicle and taking straight to the road at 17! Kudos to you and all the others that manage :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done on passing your CBT!

Echoing what has already been said, now the pressure is off go get yourself a bike and build up your confidence bit by bit on the road, stay local for a while until you feel comfortable venturing further out or find a quiet car park to hone your new skillz [emoji106]

Firstly, very well done for getting there mister. I had never been on a bike until last October and I did not get my CBT first time. I just wasn't confident enough on the road and had to go back the following week, which I got through fine. And I have been driving a car since I was your age. It must be much harder for folks who have not got any previous road experience so well done to you for getting through it. Many congratulations to you, and once you have had a wee bit of time on a geared 125 you will soon get used to it. I was terrified at first but now it just seems natural. Just takes getting the brain and physical side to get that co-ordination but once you have it it sort of clicks. And my brain is older and therefore more decrepit and slower to learn than yours so have fun and enjoy it :thumb:

Congrats on your CBT!

Don't worry about things it all takes time, get a few hours one to one to lick the geared bike and it's all good.

I'm going through very similar, didn't do very well on CBT day one and two, my nerves got the better of me, kept screwing up the clutch and my left hand cramping up.

So I got some one to one lessons at the school with a very understanding instructor and last lesson I did a bit of time on the road on a geared bike and other than needing to be a little bit quicker it was really good and rather exciting. Next time will be a proper road session and then signed off for CBT.

I know how you feel about an automatic, it's not the end of the world, it's just a stepping stone. :D