Module 2 - members test experiences

So today I finally passed MOD 2! I originally sat MOD 2 last week, but half way through the test, during the hill start, the bike I was using kept cutting out. Causing the test to be abandon due to "mechanical failure". - Much frustration!

Today, I work up to much the same conditions outside as last week, dry coldish (5 °C) and sunny. SPent a few hours getting reacquainted with the bike (Yamaha Xj600) and generally getting "in the zone" before heading to the test centre.

Thankfully I got the same examiner as last week, so we had a little joke about last week before heading out for the show me tell me questions. He asked me 3 for some reason rather than the normal 2... - How would you check the oil, show how to operate the kill switch and explain what does it do, and what effect would a pillion have on your control of the bike.

Once that was done, jumped on the bike and started out on the road. Now it appears that due to lots of road closures in the area, the examiner was simply making up routes on the fly today and took me along roads even my instructors didn't think he would go!

One major one was instead of using the back/country roads circling the city, we did actually go out into the country side, through 3 farms and then back towards the city. However I don't think the examiner realised just how much mud is on the roads around farms at this time of year. So windy narrow country roads that you would normally do about 40-60mph in, I was forced to do 20-30mph - and even then there was a few rear end slips... Due to this being the first third of the test, I pretty much though I had failed by the time we got back to a main road, so I pinned it to 60mph as quick as I could. Mostly just to get air to cool myself down after the mild panicking of mud slick roads.

Independent ride was straight forward up the dual carriage way at 50mph, then turn off and playing around in residential streets for the hill start and lots of pull overs, ride on things. I suspect he was making sure I could actually do clutch control do to last weeks annoyance.

Then back to the test centre, I chose to filter past a learner car driver who had stalled half way out a junction and was causing some minor chaos. Mostly cause I really needed to pee!

Got back in and the examiner congratulated me on an excellent ride, said I had passed then apologised for the mud all over my boots and trousers!

Very chuffed with myself I then spent the next 40 minutes back at the training school laying out the weird test route to my instructors, then let them have a play around on my MSX as they are thinking of getting one or two as part of their CBT fleet!

Over all, a good days work, and all in time for my CBT running out on the 15th!

Thanks Tango. I'm in no rush to get something bigger right now, so just going to keep an eye out for something that takes my fancy. I'm keeping the MSX for commuting/around town anyways, and I will possibly have the use of my other halves Ducati Monster if his insurance are ok with it. :D

Thanks Tango. I'm in no rush to get something bigger right now, so just going to keep an eye out for something that takes my fancy. I'm keeping the MSX for commuting/around town anyways, and I will possibly have the use of my other halves Ducati Monster if his insurance are ok with it. :D

congratulations on the pass :cheers:

What about a 183cc big bore kit?

http://gromlins.co.uk/forums/topic/183cc-big-bore-kit/

http://gromlins.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Complete-kit-1024x768.jpg

I have toyed with it. But due to many of the bbk's having issues after 5k+ miles I'd only do it if I can keep my 125 engine as a complete spare.

I decided to take up motorcycling last year at 54.

I did a CBT and theory, easy.

Booked myself in for a weekend in Brighton (I live in London) and did the whole mod 1 and 2 training in the freezing February cold and had a really awesome instructor, Tony.

Mod 2 was an hour after Mod 1. All was doing ok on the test, I thought, but as we all do from now and then, I ended up in the wrong lane at a top sigh on a one way street, I need to turn right instead of left, checked my mirrors and indicated right and I could see the examiner (Mark) in my mirror, in the right lane next to me. Nerves and knowing what I'd don't took over and as I pulled of to the right I missed doing a right shoulder check and failed only on that.

The I booked into another training company in North london who I won't name and they arranged for me to re-test in Enfield. I have two different instructors and the second one who wasn't very nice was giving me very different instructions two hours before my test which didn't help.

Started the test, the examiner was also called Mark (Bad omen). Ten minutes into the test all going well again and he told me I was doing 24mph in a 20mph limited, too me back to the testing station without giving me the chance to do the rest of the exam.

A traffic policeman forced of mine told be that I failed for doing 1mph over the limit as you're allowed 10% + 1mph.

This has been a life long dream for me and I'm very disappointed to say the least.

Booked myself in for a weekend in Brighton (I live in London) and did the whole mod 1 and 2 training in the freezing February cold and had a really awesome instructor, Tony.

Mod 2 was an hour after Mod 1. All was doing ok on the test, I thought, but as we all do from now and then, I ended up in the wrong lane at a top sigh on a one way street, I need to turn right instead of left, checked my mirrors and indicated right and I could see the examiner (Mark) in my mirror, in the right lane next to me. Nerves and knowing what I'd don't took over and as I pulled of to the right I missed doing a right shoulder check and failed only on that.

The I booked into another training company in North london who I won't name and they arranged for me to re-test in Enfield. I have two different instructors and the second one who wasn't very nice was giving me very different instructions two hours before my test which didn't help.

Started the test, the examiner was also called Mark (Bad omen). Ten minutes into the test all going well again and he told me I was doing 24mph in a 20mph limited, too me back to the testing station without giving me the chance to do the rest of the exam.

A traffic policeman forced of mine told be that I failed for doing 1mph over the limit as you're allowed 10% + 1mph.

This has been a life long dream for me and I'm very disappointed to say the least.

Try Terry and the gang at http://mctlondon.co.uk/

Welcome to the forum, can only say keep at it and it will come :thumb:

Hello, the speeding fail is not necessarily just because you were going faster than the posted limit it also implies you missed the change of speed signs, or aren't aware of how fast you were going as you're not checking the speedo or you can't maintain a constant speed if you start getting faster and end up over the limit.

I did my test from Enfield and one route has a couple of 30 to 20 to 30 changes and it does catch a lot of people out.

I'm hoping this won't make you give up on your dream and you'll be getting right back into it :thumb:

20mph limits are stupid anyway. A bikes isn't really at its best until after 20mph, in fact I would imagine some bikes might not even be counter steering until after 20mph..

Idiot health and safety people in London who impose 20mph limits on motorists but let the cycle superhighway flow at whatever speed they like... Grrrrr.

Off topic rant, sorry :oops:

Examiner sounds like a jobsworth! My instructor said they're allowed to tell you to slow down but not to speed up so it's better to be a little quick rather than slow! He could have asked you to tone it down! The

Examiner sounds like a jobsworth! My instructor said they're allowed to tell you to slow down but not to speed up so it's better to be a little quick rather than slow! He could have asked you to tone it down! The

As I said above they are looking to see if you notice the speed changes and stick to them. 24 in a 20 is enough to get points if the police catch you.

As I said above they are looking to see if you notice the speed changes and stick to them. 24 in a 20 is enough to get points if the police catch you.

I understand that but he could have just said watch your speed and given him a minor. Most people do 30 in a 20 anyway.

Well I wouldn't do that even if I knew how. Ironically, I don't like speed!

I was very annoyed that I wasn't allowed to complete the whole of the test that I had actually paid for and at least given the benefit of the doubt after assessing me on the whole test. I wasn't even given the chance to to the free ride part of the test.

He had also already told me before we started that he had flu and was not feeling well, so perhaps he was keen to get out of the freezing cold as soon as possible. Or perhaps he thought I was worth a bit more money on another test. Who knows.

I've done some research and it seems that Enfield has the lowest pass rate in the whole country. I also found out that examiners don't exactly get rich doing it on a starting salary of £24pa. Hmmmmm......

Having said all this. I was doing 24mph in a, all be it, 20mph limit and I hadn't noticed. So, so be it.

I have another test booked at Bexhill on the 27th, so I'm going to put all my positive thoughts into that. Like I said, it's a life goal that I really want to achieve. Unfortunately, I don't have a motorcycle yet so I can't practice before the test apart from the day before with Tony. There is one waiting in the showroom to ride away the day I pass though!!!

My examiner told me to speed up twice, got two minors for it.

Fair enough Foxy, it's going to be down to the examiner I guess and their preferences/mood etc. They have the power ultimately :) and I'm sure they don't all do things by the book.

I agree, my test was Friday afternoon so maybe he was in a good mood and looking forward to the weekend :D