Bike(s): Tigger Alpine, Child’s scooter
Has liked: 1114 times
Been liked: 1760 times

Re: Hobbies..

Post by Mawsley » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:22 am

Bob wrote:
rob m wrote:Image

Nice collection of guitars :cheers:
And they look in good nick considering they were fished out of that lake.

Throttled
Subscriber
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Throttled » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Lateralus wrote:Do meals out and drinking beer count as hobbies? :lol:
Pastimes, as opposed to hobbies, unless you are a member of CAMRA or write restaurant reviews.
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

Epic Earl
Bike(s): Suzuki SV650
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Epic Earl » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:52 am

I do world war 2 re-enacting, get to camp, play with guns and do battles, its brill stuff.
The whole family come along and dress up too.

Mawsley

Post by Mawsley » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Epic Earl wrote:I do world war 2 re-enacting, get to camp, play with guns and do battles, its brill stuff.
The whole family come along and dress up too.
Pretty much like the original then?

Epic Earl
Bike(s): Suzuki SV650
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Epic Earl » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:30 pm

yeah but a lot less death

fq-craigus
Bike(s): gsxr 1000 k7, zx6r g2
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 43 times

Post by fq-craigus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:38 pm

Apart from getting out on the bike my only other hobby is warming milk, changing nappies and watching baby tv.

I used to enjoy, nitro rc cars, football, gym ect but no more lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
2006 GSXR1000 k7
ZX6R g2

Mawsley

Post by Mawsley » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am

Tonight my hobbies have been cleaning up a trail of sick, wiping down surfaces that came into contact with the sick child and delving into a bag containing a duvet, a pillow and volumes of sick to retrieve a sick-covered iPhone.

As I said in another thread, if you haven't had kids yet then tie your tubes.

MarkW
Has liked: 455 times
Been liked: 1394 times

Post by MarkW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49 am

Mawsley wrote:Tonight my hobbies have been cleaning up a trail of sick, wiping down surfaces that came into contact with the sick child and delving into a bag containing a duvet, a pillow and volumes of sick to retrieve a sick-covered iPhone.

Yeah, but that stage doesn't last long, and then when they're older you can have the joys of coming home from a crap day at work and just crashing out and building Lego spaceships all evening. :thumb:
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mawsley

Post by Mawsley » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:09 am

MarkW wrote:
Mawsley wrote:Tonight my hobbies have been cleaning up a trail of sick, wiping down surfaces that came into contact with the sick child and delving into a bag containing a duvet, a pillow and volumes of sick to retrieve a sick-covered iPhone.

Yeah, but that stage doesn't last long, and then when they're older you can have the joys of coming home from a crap day at work and just crashing out and building Lego spaceships all evening. :thumb:
He's 16 and 3/4s.

I get to return home mostly to discover my beer has been repurposed, the vintage cheddar has vanished and there's more washing up in the kitchen than we have crockery.

Westbeef
Fireman Sam!
Bike(s): FZS600
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 688 times

Post by Westbeef » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 am

He's old enough for you to kick him out, I think this is the appropriate course of action.
Check out my discord server for all things motorbike related!
https://discord.gg/TYrZe5C

Six30
TOTY 2019
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX S 1000
Has liked: 2490 times
Been liked: 4086 times

Post by Six30 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:17 am

Mawsley wrote:
MarkW wrote:

He's 16 and 3/4s.

I get to return home mostly to discover my beer has been repurposed, the vintage cheddar has vanished and there's more washing up in the kitchen than we have crockery.

The vintage cheddar theft deserves severe punishment :shock:
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."
The rule of Six.

old-timer
Bike(s): BMW F650 Funduro
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 307 times

Post by old-timer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Besides riding my bike, I have a few, more or less bike-related, hobbies.

One is collecting scale models of motorbikes with sidecars.
They may be made of wood, tin, metal or plastic...
They may be a proper scale model, a kit (DIY), decoration or a toy, as long as it represents a motorbike or motorscooter with a sidecar.
I even have a cardboard kit, of a R16 BMW racer-with-sidecar; a reprint of a German cardboard kit from 1932.
There are about 75 in total now, some of which I bought in the UK.
In my website there is a picture-overview of most of them, but I still need to make pictures of the latest ones to complete the overview.

Here's is a link to that particular web page: Old-timer's scale models

Another hobby of mine is writing so called 'motorbike related Christmas stories'.
Since 2006 I write a story or tale every year for christmas which I post in 3 Dutch biker forums.
I recently started to translate them in English for my international biker friends to read.
I finished my first translation last december and (very presumptuously :oops: ) posted it here in TMBF.

You can find it here: A bike related christmas story

Like topic starter and a few other people of TMBF, I play guitar.
Only my guitars are acoustics; a 'western guitar' (Blueridge BR60 'dreadnought') and a 'folk guitar' (Stagg SW206 'cut out').
The Stagg has a bit smaller body than the Blueridge, so it is fits with the other luggage and camping gear on the motorbike.
As a "biker/bonfire singer", I like to sing folk- and country music and play guitar and mouth harmonica at biker meetings and camping trips.

Though I'm a cover singer (strictly amateur) rather than a singer/songwriter, I have written 1 or 2 songs.
One of which, called: 'The Ballad Of Biker Dicky Brown' is about a biker mate of mine, who passed away in 2009.
He had only 1 arm left after a terrible accident at a very young age, and he had to be very persistent before he was allowed to ride again.
On his final ride he died, too young and in a very peculiar way; with his boots on, but fortunately not in an accident.
I just hád to write this song as a tribute to this very remarkable and brave biker.

The song may not be a musical exploit, but it is the story that counts; his story, which I think should be told among bikers...
So I show the lyrics as subtitles in the video and even when my accent obscures the text, you still know what it is about...

Click for Youtube video: The Ballad Of Biker Dicky Brown
One life, one love, one cylinder...

BMW F650 FUNDURO

Picollus
Bike(s): KTM RC 125
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Picollus » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:03 pm

MarkW wrote:
Mawsley wrote:Shotokan is the main one that takes up my spare time, graded for my 5th Kyu this weekend so now my weekly sessions shifts to 5.
Ah-so, Mawsley-San. :D

Old Shotokan man myself - I used to train with Terry O'Neill, Bob Poynton, Frank Brennan et el back in the day. Got to 2nd Dan before relocating to somewhere with no KUGB club for miles around and eventually drifted away from it. Still miss it, but not quite enough to actually get my arse in gear and train. :lol:
Hey! I trained with Bob Poynton a few times up in Liverpool I think? I normally trained in Bristol with another bob whose name I forget and Mervin Jakes, if you remember him? Bob P double graded me a few times out in erm.. Cumberland Leisure centre I think, but then I moved away and no KUGB clubs around so I took up aikido. Miss that, heh.

Small world etc!
Motorbike maketh the man.(And woman!)

Mr Fro
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 974 times

Post by Mr Fro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Odd question for you martial arts people...

I sold my Goldwing to a chap in Peterborough in 2011 - I can't remember his name but he was rev. Dr. something or other - probably in his 60's/70's. He'd written a book some years back about martial arts and meditation. Very nice bloke too. Just wondered if any of you might have an inkling of his name.

Return to “General Chat”