New chain and sprocket

Adamjf82

How easy of a job is it to replace chain and sprocket? Is it do able for some one with basic mechanical ability but knows nothing about bikes or is it best left for a garage to do?

Easy job with some basic tools.....A lot depends on whether the chain has a split link or is riveted. ....split link is easy to do.....rivet link requires a tool to rivet it correctly...... :wink:

It's a split link. I'll get one ordered. There isn't actually much wrong with my chain but it's a second hand 2 year old bike and I don't know if it's original one or not so just doing it for piece of mind

Undoing the front sprocket can sometimes be a bit tricky, so you'll need a socket the correct size and possibly a breaker bar. A good tip is to stuff some rag between the front sprocket and the engine casing. ....This stops the sprocket turning when you're trying to undo it, but doesn't damage the engine casing..... :wink:

Undoing the front sprocket can sometimes be a bit tricky, so you'll need a socket the correct size and possibly a breaker bar. A good tip is to stuff some rag between the front sprocket and the engine casing. ....This stops the sprocket turning when you're trying to undo it, but doesn't damage the engine casing..... :wink:

Thanks. Think I'll Google it before I try it but worse case scenario I'll bribe my mate into doing it

It's a split link. I'll get one ordered. There isn't actually much wrong with my chain but it's a second hand 2 year old bike and I don't know if it's original one or not so just doing it for piece of mind

It's likely to be fine... Take some pics of the sprockets, let's have a look how worn they are.

It's not difficult but its not much fun either to change a chain and sprockets.

I would say its really not difficult..... but I changed mine and it all seemed fine.

Then I heard unusual noise and checked front sprocket, and the securing nut and washer have gone :shock:

New nut arrives tomorrow and I will double check torque and securing. In my defence a little googling and I am not the only one to of had that issue with an FZ6.

New nut arrives tomorrow and I will double check torque and securing. In my defence a little googling and I am not the only one to of had that issue with an FZ6.

Its a known issue for the FZ and the R6 :)

It's likely to be fine... Take some pics of the sprockets, let's have a look how worn they are.

I'll have to take a pic tomorrow, garage light has gone

I would say its really not difficult..... but I changed mine and it all seemed fine.

Then I heard unusual noise and checked front sprocket, and the securing nut and washer have gone :shock:

You are definitely not alone with that. Check this https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61678&p=958900#p958900

That was my first week of riding to work, not a great start. Bloody paranoid about it now, I check it every week and have a spare nut and washer kept under my seat. Also the manual says torque nut to 90nm but that just strips the nut.

How easy of a job is it to replace chain and sprocket? Is it do able for some one with basic mechanical ability but knows nothing about bikes or is it best left for a garage to do?

I have done sprockets and chain and I'm a novice. make sure you loosen front sprocket before removing chain though

That was my first week of riding to work, not a great start. Bloody paranoid about it now, I check it every week and have a spare nut and washer kept under my seat. Also the manual says torque nut to 90nm but that just strips the nut.

I had read about the stripping nuts so I torqued to about 75Nm (what did you do yours to in the end?) which "felt" as tight as I wanted to go, I then ensured the washer was WELL bent.

What bugs me is I had just returned from a particularly spirited ride.

As I have also just changed the clutch cable I now wonder what I could of got wrong doing that...

I used some thread locker and went 50nm to 60nm then stopped at 70nm. I didn't want to push it any further.

I also only went to 70nm on the rear sprocket nuts because the recommended 100nm strips those aswell.

Are these genuine yamaha fittings or generic ebay replacements ?

I used some thread locker and went 50nm to 60nm then stopped at 70nm. I didn't want to push it any further.

I also only went to 70nm on the rear sprocket nuts because the recommended 100nm strips those aswell.

Are these genuine yamaha fittings or generic ebay replacements ?

Can't say for sure as they were already on bike when purchased. I then changed sprocket and stripped two of the nuts

So then i got another sprocket carrier and the nuts looked the same as before they have two clip type looking things on them

Edited by Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

Oh the difference between big bikes and little bikes! My sprocket nuts get torque'ed to 32nm! :-D

To answer the original question, if you have the instructions in front of you, and can follow them then it's easy. I done mine mostly on my own. It was one of the first tasks i did on my bike so i had little mechanic skills (not that i have vastly more now...)

I found plus gas and chain cleaner to be useful to have on hand for tricky to loosen nuts and getting rid of general muck to see what you are doing.

Why are people stripping so many threads!!??

Stop using torque wrenches and do it by feel. Mark the nut/bolt with Tipex and check them regularly for rotation if you're worried​.. once happy they are not moving scrape off the Tipex. No threads stripped!!

Stop using torque wrenches and do it by feel. Mark the nut/bolt with Tipex and check them regularly for rotation if you're worried​.. once happy they are not moving scrape off the Tipex. No threads stripped!!

School boy error from me. Went in far too heavy handed with the torque wrench on my first time of using one. Had to buy another sprocket carrier which wasn't expenisve but meant my bike was off the road for a week.

Changed the oil on Sunday and and refitted the sump nut and filter by feel, not a torque wrench in sight :D

I'm going to hazard a guess that threadlock or copper grease (or the like) was involved with all the thread stripping. It must be over 20 years since I last used a torque wrench. If it's a normal nut it gets a pinch, if it's important it gets an ooof on the breaker bar. I didn't go to the UoL to get a degree in using a BFH tool for nothing.

Joeman first time I only used torque wrench to as a gauge and stopped by feel. This time I went up to 90Nm on torque wrench will check it in a few days.

Most jobs I don't use torque wrench for but when I know there are known issues I tend to it takes no effort....

Not the best pics, and other didn't realise how dirty it was. There isn't much movement either so I think it needs loosening off if I don't replace it

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m570/adamjf1982/Mobile%20Uploads/20170328_182849.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m570/adamjf1982/Mobile%20Uploads/_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m570/adamjf1982/Mobile%20Uploads/20170328_182846.jpg

Need a pic where we can see the teeth to judge sprocket wear, but yeah that needs a good clean! I got myself this, works great :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Motul-Chain-Care-Cleaning-Cleaner-Lube-Kit-for-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Bike/1679711313

You can just pick up a brush though and use paraffin to clean the chain, I just found I got better results with that stuff.

Need a pic where we can see the teeth to judge sprocket wear, but yeah that needs a good clean! I got myself this, works great :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Motul-Chain-Care-Cleaning-Cleaner-Lube-Kit-for-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Bike/1679711313

You can just pick up a brush though and use paraffin to clean the chain, I just found I got better results with that stuff.

It's ordered that last night