Crosshead Screws on Jap Bikes

Tango

Would you be surprised if I told you that the crosshead screws on Jap bikes are not your run-of-the-mill Philips #2?......but are JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) #2........and you really need special screwdrivers to avoid b*ggering the heads up....... :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/4bo/Vessel-900-Megadora-2x150-JIS-2-Screwdriver/B000TGF8YI/ref=pd_sim_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SAQS5BXRY3MXFHK33V9Y

Would you be surprised if I told you that the crosshead screws on Jap bikes are not your run-of-the-mill Philips #2?......but are JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) #2........and you really need special screwdrivers to avoid b*ggering the heads up....... :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/4bo/Vessel-900-Megadora-2x150-JIS-2-Screwdriver/B000TGF8YI/ref=pd_sim_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SAQS5BXRY3MXFHK33V9Y

Nope!!

I have been banging on about this for ages :lol: :lol:

The machines I work on are made by Hitachi.......and we can order a "special" screwdriver for the screws on them.......put the screw head into the end of the driver and tap it on the floor and the screw stays in place pretty solidly...... :wink:

Ah so they cant damage Phillips heads like the Phillips screw drivers do? I was after a new set of Phillips too, killing two birds with one stone is good.

exactly that :thumb:

May as well get the JIS ones :)

well when you say damage you mean in normal use right :lol:

Yup, JIS screwdrivers are ace. Although i still haven't convinced myself to spend £70 on a (small) set of screwdrivers...

If my big bike ends up being a Jap I probably will though.

Yes, Phillips ruin the JIS heads :). And £23 for a set of three JIS on the same website will do me.

Good spot! I'm treating myself to a set of those.

http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/%2212705/6/8%22

Oo cheaper! Might get a set too...However it's the stubby one i really need. Can't fit a normal driver in the space between the headlight and airbox to get the box off!

I've been fancying a set for a while, I struggle to justify the cost for a couple of screwdrivers though.

I thought the same and thats where Christmas came in handy

And I will not use any of my other screwdrivers at all now!!

I've been fancying a set for a while, I struggle to justify the cost for a couple of screwdrivers though.

Apparently "we" have agreed we "won't be bothering with birthday presents this year".

When I heard it earlier it sounded just like "...and I suggest you find yourself a better wife" to me

Apparently "we" have agreed we "won't be bothering with birthday presents this year".

When I heard it earlier it sounded just like "...and I suggest you find yourself a better wife" to me

So buy HER the screwdrivers - since she wont have got you anything she'll feel sorry for you and hand them over to you... you get new tools and make her feel guilty for not buying you anything all in one move...

So buy HER the screwdrivers - since she wont have got you anything she'll feel sorry for you and hand them over to you... you get new tools and make her feel guilty for not buying you anything all in one move...

That is a stroke of pure genius. I'm doing exactly this...except I think I ought to buy her a new silencer for the XT too.

Genius.

Yep.. JIS screwdrivers make your life sooo much easier.

Also for those who change out the original case screws for allen cap bolts, The Japanese didn't do it because they were cheap, they used screws because you can only exert a limited amount of force on them. Using an Allen bolt allows you to apply more torque and thereby potentially stripping out the threads.

Just because you needed an impact driver to remove the screws doesn't mean that you need one to screw it back in!

Anil

i used pull my hair out years ago,removing screws from my old two strokes. bought my self a set of long stemmed t-bar screwdrivers in the early 80s,work well but some of the bolts chewed up, and sometimes needed the good old impact driver to remove,especial on the crankcases . thank god for allen bolts.

i always replace the majority of screws and bolts on any used bike i buy.one of my pet hates, is chewed or rusty screws and bolts. :crybaby:

Is the screwdriver in my bikes toolkit JIS then? I assume it will be? Ill have to make sure I use that until I get a set.

:shock: this is possibly the most helpful things you've ever said..... *checks mine*