Anyone work with Asbestos? Advice pls

MrBrightside

Hi,

I'm in the process of having a new heating system throughout my house and have now been told that the asbestos needs stripping out of 2 cupboards I have. It's there as I have a warm air blower downstairs which needs removing. Apparently the asbestos is from the 60's and is AIB.

Been quotes 2 grand for it to be removed, that's just from 2 cupboards. I don't trust that company anyway and won't be using them at all, but does anyone have any knowledge of it and does that seem a piss take?

Doing my head in ATM and need to get out of the caravan back into my house soon.

As long as it remains intact and not cut, drilled, abraded, etc. it will be OK.

You can 'seal' it with resin or paint to allow easy removal but.... You will need to arrange for the correct environmental disposal - the local county council may be able to advise.

PS. if these 'texans' advise you to have your roof re-tiled as well, see if you can get a discount for accepting both quotes! :angel12:

Word up Mr B

Call someone else and get another comparison quote would be my advice - these people look legit? http://www.jmpservices.co.uk/default/

http://suffolkasbestosservices.co.uk/collections-clearances/3162003

As I am SUPER bored at work I think the majority of the cost will be for disposal as there doesn't seem to be any council run places. And you possibly need to be registered to go to the places where you can dispose.

My local council tip take asbestos. When i was renovating my house i took a load there.

Just had to be bagged up and sealed.

:stupid: Yep, our local tip takes it too. You have to go to the tip and ask for the bags, then put the material in the bags. Asbestos is safe, it's the dust from it that is dangerous. So care should be taken when making it into the right size to bag it up.

Dig a deep hole in the garden.

We have dug up what I strongly suspect to be some bits of asbestos when making flowerbeds in our garden. Along with about 1.5 tonnes of rubble from just the small strip we've excavated so far. :roll:

Easter weekend has been set aside for removing the rest of the gravel, taking up the base of the old shed (don't yet know whether it's just paving slabs, or paving slabs on top of ALL OF THE CONCRETE AND RUBBLE), and turning over the soil underneath it all. I expect to hate everything by the end of the weekend.

To help alleviate matters, I have informed the wife that as the first bank holiday since getting a bike, it's a legal requirement we ride to Matlock Bath at some point too. :mrgreen:

Can I just ask you all who are getting involved with asbestos that you treat it as VX poison gas please? When I was in my litigation seat during legal training I was involved in creating settlement agreements for the families of victims of those in the building trade who had gotten involved in asbestos. Note: the families. It's bloody dangerous stuff. If in doubt, either re-cover or bury it before calling in some kind of expert.

I don't know the procedures or legal stuff that councils have to provide, I think there I should some burden on them though, but I do know it's horrible and nasty stuff that causes lot s of painful deaths. Cheers lads.

Can I just ask you all who are getting involved with asbestos that you treat it as VX poison gas please? When I was in my litigation seat during legal training I was involved in creating settlement agreements for the families of victims of those in the building trade who had gotten involved in asbestos. Note: the families. It's bloody dangerous stuff. If in doubt, either re-cover or bury it before calling in some kind of expert.

I don't know the procedures or legal stuff that councils have to provide, I think there I should some burden on them though, but I do know it's horrible and nasty stuff that causes lot s of painful deaths. Cheers lads.

I agree with you 100%

I used to be involved in investigating industrial disease and in particular exposure to asbestos going back 40, 50, 60 years in some case and it was heartbreaking

The barbs breathed in can lie dormant for all that time, but if someone contracts mesothelioma which is the worst of the asbestos related cancers, you are looking at an average of 9 months from diagnosis to death and it is not pleasant seeing how sufferers deteriorate.

Plural plaques, plural thickening and asbestosis are not pleasant either and even though if left undisturbed it will not cause too much of a problem, once you get bits flaking off or dust, you can have serious issues.

Blue asbestos is particularly nasty and of course going back to the 50's it was used everywhere. Strangely it was not banned until the 70's even the risks were known in the 19th century as the first meso case was reported in something like 1880.

If you do have asbestos, I really do recommend that you get it seen to and removed profession ally by a licenced expert.

Back in the good old days of the early 1990s there was a 'professional' waste disposal company who would take asbestos away for a very reasonable rate. Admittedly they kept getting caught lobbing it over the nearest hedge, but they were competitive on price. :thumb: