Module 1 - members test experiences

Passed my Mod 1 today, despite freezing temperatures and a fair bit of mist when we arrived. Did it at the Colwick centre in Nottingham.

Examiner was very friendly, and my Instructor was evidently pleased that I'd drawn who he described as the friendliest of the bunch. Was efficient without being officious, which is a bit of a difficult balance I think.

Main hitch I had was a bit of a wobble on the u-turn, which I sorted by giving it a little more power, but my right leg definitely twitched towards the ground! Kept my foot on the peg in the end, but through an effort of conscious will.

High-speed manoeuvres were all fine, but between the controlled stop and the emergency stop, when asked to turn around I pretty much did it as a full and proper u-turn again, primarily for my own benefit! :lol:

I found getting up to speed for the emergency stop and avoidance manoeuvre easier than in my trial run on Sat, for no particular reason, but am glad I had the opportunity of a proper practice ahead of the day.

As everyone says, I took my time, focused on only one manoeuvre at a time, listened to the Examiner, and checked over each shoulder before each and every time the bike started moving. As I was reminded before starting, the test is from when you first get on the bike through to when you last get off it, not just in the main testing area, so the shoulder checks need to be done throughout!

Roll on Mod 2!

Passed my Mod 1 today, despite freezing temperatures and a fair bit of mist when we arrived. Did it at the Colwick centre in Nottingham.

Examiner was very friendly, and my Instructor was evidently pleased that I'd drawn who he described as the friendliest of the bunch. Was efficient without being officious, which is a bit of a difficult balance I think.

Main hitch I had was a bit of a wobble on the u-turn, which I sorted by giving it a little more power, but my right leg definitely twitched towards the ground! Kept my foot on the peg in the end, but through an effort of conscious will.

High-speed manoeuvres were all fine, but between the controlled stop and the emergency stop, when asked to turn around I pretty much did it as a full and proper u-turn again, primarily for my own benefit! :lol:

I found getting up to speed for the emergency stop and avoidance manoeuvre easier than in my trial run on Sat, for no particular reason, but am glad I had the opportunity of a proper practice ahead of the day.

As everyone says, I took my time, focused on only one manoeuvre at a time, listened to the Examiner, and checked over each shoulder before each and every time the bike started moving. As I was reminded before starting, the test is from when you first get on the bike through to when you last get off it, not just in the main testing area, so the shoulder checks need to be done throughout!

Roll on Mod 2!

Congratulations Lateralus! Well done :)

Out of interest, how much training did you do in the run up to your test?

Ta!

I did my CBT and a total of 7.5 hours of lessons before the Mod 1 (three x 2hrs and one 1.5hr), plus about 15 mins practice on the actual Mod 1 motorcycle manoeuvring area (MMA) itself for the higher speed elements. They didn't have a spare slot for a formal practice, but the school wangled it so I could have a quick go at the end of someone else's session, which I was grateful to have done.

Have only one more lesson, scheduled for 7 hours (!), between now and the Mod 2.

Ta!

I did my CBT and a total of 7.5 hours of lessons before the Mod 1 (three x 2hrs and one 1.5hr), plus about 15 mins practice on the actual Mod 1 motorcycle manoeuvring area (MMA) itself for the higher speed elements. They didn't have a spare slot for a formal practice, but the school wangled it so I could have a quick go at the end of someone else's session, which I was grateful to have done.

Have only one more lesson, scheduled for 7 hours (!), between now and the Mod 2.

Ah cool, I was curious as I have just (today) had about the same amount (7hrs) although shared with several other trainees. Test on Monday :shock:

Good luck with Mod 2 :thumb:

*Edit* I passed! Woohoo! :D

One minor for changing down too early on the emergency stop.. He heard the clunk!

I was worried it might be cancelled, it was -4 when I arrived at 8:15, but the surface at the test centre was given the ok.

Saturday was my second time on a bike and first experience on a 'big' bike - Suzuki Gladius. As people have said on here it was easier than a 125 in many ways - planted and so torquey!

I'd recommend bike2bike who are based in Thatcham, very patient, friendly instructors who help you believe in yourself :)

Test was fine, bit of extra practice with the instructor in the morning helped too.

58kmh on the swerve and 63 for the E stop!

• 1 month later...

Passed my Mod 1 today, clean sheet so quite pleased with that. Was slightly slow through the traps on the controlled stop, but I let speed drop a bit too much on the turn (went down to 15 I think) so didn't get fully up to speed for that, but emergency stop and swerve were fine obviously

Otherwise perfect, even did one more figure of 8 than needed as I didn't hear him calling me...

Had to turn down a free Mod 2 lesson though, Instructor was going to take a bike for MOT, at Gillingham it sounded like a good idea, but once the adrenaline had worn off, and I had ridden back to Maidstone, I was exhausted and there was no way I was going to get anything out of it.

Just need to book Mod 2 lesson and test for end of month, I'm dolescum at the moment, so waiting for your taxes to come through to give me my beer tokens :D

Passed my Mod 1 today, clean sheet so quite pleased with that. Was slightly slow through the traps on the controlled stop, but I let speed drop a bit too much on the turn (went down to 15 I think) so didn't get fully up to speed for that, but emergency stop and swerve were fine obviously

Otherwise perfect, even did one more figure of 8 than needed as I didn't hear him calling me...

Had to turn down a free Mod 2 lesson though, Instructor was going to take a bike for MOT, at Gillingham it sounded like a good idea, but once the adrenaline had worn off, and I had ridden back to Maidstone, I was exhausted and there was no way I was going to get anything out of it.

Just need to book Mod 2 lesson and test for end of month, I'm dolescum at the moment, so waiting for your taxes to come through to give me my beer tokens :D

Well done :thumb:

Hey guys and gals

First time post here and just like so many before me unless you're one that passes on the first attempt I passed mod 1 on my second attempt with two minors on Tuesday but my first attempt was a shambles five minor one major minors were three for missing the observations and one each for doing 49kmph on e stop and avoidance but my major was I put my foot down on mine and so many others arch nemesis the dreaded u turn

So in short if you don't crack it first time don't let it beat you and you will beat it in no time with a little bit more practice

Hey guys and gals

First time post here and just like so many before me unless you're one that passes on the first attempt I passed mod 1 on my second attempt with two minors on Tuesday but my first attempt was a shambles five minor one major minors were three for missing the observations and one each for doing 49kmph on e stop and avoidance but my major was I put my foot down on mine and so many others arch nemesis the dreaded u turn

So in short if you don't crack it first time don't let it beat you and you will beat it in no time with a little bit more practice

top stuff good luck on the mod 2 :thumb:

Thanks Hoggs

Just need to pass mod 2 and do this :up: to all that said I wouldn't get my full license only Scooter Though wish I could manage A full manual big bike but due to ops no power in foot to control gears

Thanks Hoggs

Just need to pass mod 2 and do this :up: to all that said I wouldn't get my full license only Scooter Though wish I could manage A full manual big bike but due to ops no power in foot to control gears

there are a couple of automatic bikes out there I believe as an alternative. :thumb: let us know when you pass we will join you in flipping off the doubters!!!!

Thanks Hoggs

Hi not sure of your disablity or if its just because of the op, but there's help here to get you that bike with gears :thumb:

http://www.nabd.org.uk/whoare.htm

• 1 month later...

mod 1 passed on Monday with no minors :D , can`t say the same for the poor guy who was also training with me, didn't even get passed the u turn before he gave up, felt really bad for him.

got mod 2 this Saturday, pretty nervous but hey ho.

So relieved to of passed my MOD1 today, it wasn't without hiccups though.

I went into it fairly calm as had performed all the manoeuvres many times on practice and was quite confident with them. The only small niggle in my mind was the first one where you have to drag the bike backwards from one box to the other. Mainly because I'm a bit of a weakling and found the Bandit 650 quite heavy.

It couldn't of started any worse, when I went to move the bike to the other box I couldn't budge it! It was only after a couple of pulls I realised that I had left the bike in gear! So I apologised profusely to the examiner and hopped back on to put it in neutral.

For some reason this small hiccup just seemed to open a floodgate of nerves which I had never had before, was shaking like a leaf moving the bike back and was panting with nerves. I then went into the slalom and figure of 8 in this state and it was probably the messiest slalom that the examiner has ever seen but I somehow managed it.

Once I did the U turn I managed to calm down a bit as I was lot more comfortable with the faster manoeuvres and got through it ok. I was also quite shocked to get my paperwork with no minors!

Mod2 booked for the 25th so looking forward to it. I've really enjoyed the whole experience of learning to ride but didn't enjoy the Module 1 test at all, but at least its over with!

• 2 months later...

So failed my mod 1 today.

Started by doing the manual handling manoeuvre. This went well. I got on my bike and the examiner told me what to do. I asked if I could start now and he said yes, when you're ready. I took a deep breath, got into gear, did the necessary checks and started my slalom and figure of 8. I did ok on the slalom, although the examiner later told me I was close to hitting one of the cones and that I rescued it well. The figure of 8 was harder and I went round the green and yellow come when I did one rotation. I stopped when asked and did the slow speed manoeuvre with no problems. I made sure to do all my checks and lifesavers in good time and didn't rush anything.

The controlled stop went well. I had to do the emergency stop twice as I didn't make the speed the first time. I had to do the avoidance twice as well and when I did it the final time I knew I wasn't fast enough.

The feedback from the examiner was that I had good control of the bike but that I need more speed.

I'm pretty gutted as I can't get another test for another 6 weeks. As it was such a good test otherwise (no minors) I'm also worried that the next time I do it I might mess it up on something different and then have to do it again.

bad luck mate, fingers crossed for an earlier cancellation date

don't over think it you've proved you can do it all, just take an extra breath before the manoeuvres you'll nail it :thumb:

Passed mod 1 this morning.

Two minors. 1: I stalled at one point - restarted without putting a foot down or stopping and 2: 1km/h too slow on the first attempt at the swerve. 2nd go at 54 so OK.

To be honest I was a bit of a bag of nerves.

I'd not been on a bike for 2 weeks because my instructor was on holiday so a bit rusty anyway. We did some practice emergency stops just before the test and I had a bit of a mare. I locked the front wheel (or managed to apply the throttle while braking, not sure quite what happened) and had a tank slapper down the road :shock: :oops: . No idea how but I recovered it without coming off. it left me shaking a bit and not in the best frame of mind. My signature on the forms looks nothing like my usual.

The examiner was great though, really pleasant and calming :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a long windy road for me but.... I was shocked as I was complteley sure I had failed when I woke up at 6am prior to the test! When the examiner was talking to me I knew in my heart he hated me, and had already written those words on the sheet. As I finished he made small talk about "perfect ride, zero errors" but I knew he meant "don't bother ever trying again." I did hug him, as well as my instructor several times. Cheering at traffic stops all the way home. I'm still not bored of finding people on Facebook to tell. Roll on Mod 2!

So I had my Mod 1 this Tuesday just gone (4/7/17) Passed with 1 minor.

I had a training day on the Sunday before the test, and that went terribly bad! I had lost absolutely every ounce of confidence, U turns being the most prominent weak point. So Monday I spent the whole day worrying about the test, even considered ringing the instructor to cancel it and pay for some more lessons (I had only been riding since Saturday) because I thought I wasn't going to be ready for it, despite proving that I can do all the manoeuvres for the test.

Day of Test - Rain. All the rain. All the way to Carlisle it rained, and it continued to get heavier over the couple of hours before my test. There was 4 of us doing Mod 1 in the morning, one of which I did my training with on the Sunday who was absolutely the sure favourite out of the two of us to pass. Me and one of them went with the instructor and both bikes to have a little ride and a little warm up prior to the tests. During which time I had absolutely no confidence in what I was doing. I was riding ok, just had no conviction and was scared of repeating my mistakes from Sunday on test day.

So we go back and wait for the test, the other lad goes first. Pass. 1 minor for hitting 48kmph on the swerve. But he comes out and says that everything was much further apart than when we were training, the cones, the lines for the U turn, everything. It was then that I suddenly relaxed a little and decided whats the worst that could happen.

To begin with (even the manual handling) I was shaking so badly. Like a s****ing dog! Just about mustered through the slalom, figure 8 and slow riding. Onto the U turn. Round I go (all the checks of course!) then as I get to the other side of the U turn, my front wheel runs onto the white line, I correct it and straighten up before stopping, but at this point I'm 100% sure I've failed.

Relaxed even more and smashed out the higher speed stuff with ease, and the examiner says about leaving the test pan. I'm thinking at this point I've failed so poorly. Upon him opening the gate, I spotted a learner driver coming into the car parking area and then just stop, partially hidden behind some bushes. Then another learner driver beings to reverse out of their parking bay. I'm still waiting to come out of the test pan, but both of these cars seem to have stopped moving. So I edge out very tentatively checking all the time and pulled into the motorcycle bay. Off we go inside (I requested my instructor to come in, figuring I've failed). Before I've got my helmet off and stuff, the examiner says "I won't torment you any more, you've passed. 1 minor, it was otherwise a very good solid ride."

:o :o

The reason I mentioned about the cars pulling in and out at the end there, is because if that happens to you, treat with care and take your time, because it is still part of your test until you are off that bike! Later on one of the other lads picked up 1 minor because he pulled out of the test pan without taking care of the traffic moving around, like me he had learner drivers pulling in/out and just proceeded through without a second thought.

All in all that was a massive confidence boost!! Unfortunately the lad I thought was a sure for a pass failed, he didn't quite completely straighten up on the U turn and put his foot down, I thought it was a bit harsh personally, but what do I know!!

Looking forward to my Mod 2 now, which is booked for the 4th August. 1 month in between riding, but I'm much more comfortable on the road than I was with the Mod 1.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my mod 1 training over the weekend and test this morning. I'm not going to lie it wasn't easy and I struggled. I've enjoyed reading other peoples experiences so I thought I would add mine. TL:DR Passed!

It has been just over a month since I did my CBT and that had been my only experience of riding so I can't say I was very skilled at riding. I had my mod one training booked for the weekend with test on Wednesday, there was two of us training with one instructor. Saturday morning we went out and rode on various roads for an hour or so then we went and used a car park with cones set out which was pretty much as the MOD 1 test site. The instructor showed us everything and then let us try everything out for ourselves. I was OK on the slalom, struggled a bit with the figure of 8, terrible at the u turn and ok on the stopping and swerving.

Lots of practice at the figure of 8 and I was doing OK, still couldn't keep it tight enough not to need to go round the yellow cone but I could string them together. Still struggled with the u turn, I just couldn't seem to get it round without putting a foot down.

After that we went back to base and had lunch. We then swapped bikes, I had been on the MT07 but changed to a Honda CB650F. The Honda had a great engine but I really struggled with the rear brake lever, it felt a lot further back than on the MT and closer to the foot peg. I've got size 12 feet so I didn't get on with it at all well. I had to ask to swap back after about half an hour as I didn't feel safe on it.

Anyway back to the car park for more practice and I was getting the U turn but more often than not I'd mess it up. We went for more of a ride round at which point it rained well it was rain but it felt like a monsoon. It's interesting in the rain with water on the visor especially on a dual carriageway at 70mph, not scary but it certainly sharpens the focus. I'm so glad I bought waterproof gear, the other lad didn't and his jeans were soaked.

Onto Sunday and thankfully the rain had cleared and my kit had dried out. Today we had some time on the actual test site. An hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. We had a walk round it then we both got to try out riding around but individually. I still couldn't string everything together, I'd hit a cone doing something or put my foot down and my U turns were worse than ever. The other lad nailed everything first go so he spent most of the time watching me mess it up. I felt bad for hogging the area but I certainly needed the practice. The more I got it wrong the harder it got. As our hour was coming to an end some other instructors turned up from the same school with their students so I had a proper audience watching me be bad. My instructor must have said something to the other instructors as they both came over and gave me a few tips and it started to come together, messy but I managed a couple of complete turns.

Our time was up and we went back on the road for a bit and had some lunch then went back to the test area. Still messing the U turns up pretty constantly but I was getting them but after a while I got them pretty much most times. A minor break though but at least I knew I could do them.

My test was booked for Wednesday morning just before 9 so I had a couple of days to sort my head out. Monday I was dreading it, I wanted to write my experience up so far but I just couldn't face it. In the evening I went out on my pushbike to clear my head, it was a really nice sunny evening and I find riding really relaxing. I was putting into practice what i'd been learning over the weekend on the motorbike and as stupid as it sounds even practised a couple of U turns. Tuesday I was feeling better with more of a calmer outlook on it, I knew I could and have done all the elements individually just not necessarily each and every time.

I do really enjoy being under test situations though, I have no idea why, I just like to prove to myself that I can do things and I like the nervous adrenaline feeling. That's the whole point of why I'm learning to ride. I don't need to do it I just fancied giving it a go after being inspired by my girlfriend taking her driving test and being jealous of what she was going through. I really like these types of tests as they are true - go on then I'm watching you so do it tests, so you have to prove it there an then, I really enjoy the buzz of it. I hate roller coasters but I love tests. I must be insane!

Anyway with this in mind I calmed down on Tuesday and was feeling alright about it, after all if I failed then it didn't really matter as I'm not going to miss out on anything plus it has the upside of another test opportunity (I must go and see a man in a white coat about this!) Tuesday night I went to sleep no bother and slept really well. My alarm went off early as I had to be at the riding school just after 7 to then give enough time to get to the test area. One of the instructors said if you want to have a bit of a practice then you are more than welcome. I did 4 or 5 U turns and got them every time.

So once it was time to go to the test area we rode out with me in the lead and I was feeling great, no real nerves got to the test site early and the examiner turned up slightly after us and got set up. We were doing right hand circuits which was fine, I'd practised and messed up both before so I didn't have a preference. The other lad went out first and did his test. It started to drizzle whilst he was doing his test but after all the rain we had over the weekend it wasn't an issue for either of us. He passed with no minors, on to me.

The examiner was a really nice guy, took everything every slowly and made sure I'd understood before moving on. It felt like there was no real pressure from him. I moved into the area making sure I was doing my observations, parked in the bay, fluffed trying to get neutral a couple of time so just left it in first. Rather than make an arse of going 1st to 2nd a few times I just pulled the clutch in when I moved the bike. I'm 6'3 and it had less than half a tank of fuel so I didn't really struggle with it.

Onto the slalom and no issues but I hadn't really had any with that bit anyway. First real test was the figure of 8 and I got it spot on, didn't even need to go round the yellow cone either, probably the best I'd done. He called me in after the two circuits of that ready for the slow ride and I got that sorted to, exactly 4 mph with next to no wobble, I thought anyway.

Now the nemesis, the dreaded U turn, he explains what he wants me to do. I say ok. Deep breath, observe, move, observe, turn, look up the test area and bring it in right next to the line and stop. I couldn't be happier.

Controlled stop went no problem and was good for practising the speed trap. Emergency stop was fine, I thought was a bit slow but was exactly 50kph, the swerve was fine too but I added a bit more speed and did 54 through that.

Examiner asks me to leave the area and take a seat in the hut, the instructor came with me and then I was told I'd passed with no minors! So it goes to show that even if you take a while to get it in your head what you are supposed to do it is possible to do it.

Failed Mod1 twice in 2 weeks. Gutted

First time foot went down on Slalom, too slow.

Second time, ended up on wrong side of white line on U turn.

Starting to cost a bit now, not sure how I am ever going to pass at this rate. On the yard I am fine, test though not sure what happens, not even nerves!