DAS - all in one or split?

Those who have done a DAS did you go for an all in one course or split it into mod 1 / mod 2?

Tbh all the schools I've looked at seem to advertise the block course but had a friend who did his mod 1 and then mod 2 about 4 months later, just trying to weigh up what to do...

Basically looking for cheaper option, well not paying in one lump sum. Especially as I am useless at tests and I could get together the 700ish for intensive but that's about it... So if I pay for that and then fail at the end I'm penniless... Whereas in guessing mod 1 would be half the price (well probably a bit more as it will probably cost more in long run) then if I fail that I could at least get some money together to retake asap then once that's done save up some more for mod 2.

What's people's thoughts? Especially anyone who has done it that way... Did you find the break in-between was detrimental and you had to relearn the basics?

Obviously would be continuing on my 125 as well so wouldn't be a total break.

I only paid about £700 all in for my DAS, and that was from scratch. 14 hours in total after the CBT, but the price included that too, and test fees. My school did that as a fixed-price course, and I think I just about broke even compared to if I'd paid hourly for lessons instead. For another £100 they offered it as a guaranteed pass, where if you failed they continued training you until you passed.

If you have a 125 and you're reasonably good already, I'd have assumed you could pass Mod1 and Mod2 quicker than that. I'm sure they be someone along soon who can be more useful than me!

I say no to the bulk buy. No need if you can ride a bike. If you can ride a bike well even only 125cc then you can ride any bike, it will be only a case of getting use to the size and power.

Mod 1 £100

Mod 2 £170.

Go to the training school and ask for a Module 1 practice session only [charge is normally £75-80 for 2,5 hours]. You will have some ideas of the big bike behaviour... Book module 1. After you pass the module 1 tell the instructor to book you Module 2 test.

Or watch some videos on the internet on how Module 1 look and what need to be done. Practice on the car park...and book yourself a Module 1 straight with the examiner. So only money you will pay is for the test £100 and renting a 600cc for the day at the test centre. Do the same for Module 2.

Be smart about it. Don't pay for something you already know.. :D

p.s

I have done it in split. And that was the best decision ever. No stress no pressure. Simple, easy and cheap :thumb:

Cheers everyone for replies.

Sleepy... That does make a lot more sense to me too. Will give the school a call next week and see what I can sort out :)

Really itching to get on a big bike now...

Don't go to any school that requires you to pay a very large sum, they're potentially crap and you won't get any money back if you want to change schools.

My school took a deposit for each session and the rest was paid on the day. The course was £700 in total and was paid in instalments of around £130 depending on test fees. I think a lot of schools with do it this way and I'd avoid any that want say £300-400 before you even start your training.

Will be sticking to the school I used for CBT as they were brilliant and after a massive confidence knock on first CBT (never been on a bike before) They helped massively giving me extra off-road time after it had finished at no charge which have confidence back... Tbh if I didn't have that and walked away when he said it's over I'd probably never have gone back.

Don't actually know how the charging works website says only pay deposit upfront and he gave me price for total course but didn't say if I would need to pay it at once.

I took mod 1 and then 2 weeks later mod 2 last year. I'm 50 and it was something that I planned to do for years but never got round to it. I am so glad that I eventually did it. Worth every penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well spoke with riding school today and now face a bit of a dilemma... I thought the instructors were brilliant for my CBT however really unsure on the method they are using for DAS... They've advised a 3 day course which is effectively two days training followed by mod 1 in the morning and mod 2 in the afternoon at cost of £620 (inclusive of theory and test fees). That is only option they do for DAS (other than 4/5 day courses by same format) and can't offer any part training as they fill each course.

Quite simply really don't think this is best option for me, would much rather be paying for mod 2 training once I've passed mod 1 (which I think will be hardest part for me). So looks like I need to find another school.

They seem totally inflexible.

What if you do need an extra day's training as you're not up to scratch are they just going to put you thought the mod 1 anyway?

Also post mod 1 if you fail are they going to be able to give some extra day training ? Doesn't sound like it.

I'd go to a different school. That one does seem very inflexible.

I changed schools mid way through my training. Done CBT and MOD 1 at one school, and MOD 2 with another. I changed more so because I really did not like the bike I had to use at the first school. The second school gave me a choice of bike, choice of days/hours of training and even got a test where I wouldn't have any chance of bumping into my old training instructors (their choice rather then mine, but a nice touch)

Neither of the two schools would offer a mod 1+2 course with the tests on the same day. Both would generally wait for you to pass MOD 1 first before booking MOD 2. Since if you fail MOD 1, you need to wait 10 days to resit. If you passed, then generally they block booked MOD2's so you could sit MOD 2 within the week.

Very occasionally, If they felt very confident about a persons riding, they would allow them to book tests like this, but it was not common, or advertised.

like others have said, having both tests booked on the same day is a really bad idea. the school I went to I paid everything up front, did two days training 9mod 1 and 2 training) with mod 1 test on the second day. After that you booked a date for mod2 training and test; well I didn't because I failed mod 1 and had to book a retake at additional cost :? but that way I didn't lose out on mod2 test fees being wasted. There are plenty of schools out there so find one that offers the flexibility you need. You need to feel comfortable with your training arrangements so you have one less thing to worry about.