If I just book my mod 1 and 2 unrestricted but don't have a big bike, do they have ones at the test centre I can use? I've googled to no avail, and even attempted to book one, but it hadn't mentioned what bike to use...

Ta

As far as I know, test centres don't supply/loan out bikes mate. You need to see a school about that. Or a friend with an unrestricted bike and get a short term insurance policy to cover the tests.

Might be better to do it through a training school.. perhaps include a few lessons to get rid of any bad habits you've developed. all schools have a fleet of bikes for their trainees and the tests.

I would suggest you approach a local training school and ask.. see how much it will cost. all-in.

Yeah I can't really afford lessons - figured I'd just give the test a go! If I fail I can have some lessons.

Not sure it's possible to get insured on a big bike without a full licence though, is it?

Have you had any lessons/experience on a bike? I'm assuming you have if you're just "gonna give the test a go"

If you can't afford lessons, what's the point in passing your test? You won't be able to afford a bike or any gear?

But to answer your Q. The test centre cannot and will not supply a bike. If you want to go it alone you will need to provide your own bike, MOT it, insure it, and tax it, and show those documents to the test centre.

Much easier and cheaper in the long run to get lessons and use their bike on all your tests.

I've been riding a 125 for 8 months - done a few thousand miles. I have a bike on finance which I can switch for a more powerful bike on finance for the same price, cos I bought a 3k 125. My theory test runs out in a couple of month and I didn't want to waste it, so figured I'd give the test a try.

Thanks for the advice.

I think you'd be better off with lessons and using the school's bikes, as the others have said. I doubt many people pass the tests, especially mod 1, without any practice.

Have you had a look on YouTube? There's quite a few 'mod 1 perfect pass' videos - people have uploaded their own test footage.

Have you had any lessons/experience on a bike? I'm assuming you have if you're just "gonna give the test a go"

If you can't afford lessons, what's the point in passing your test? You won't be able to afford a bike or any gear?

But to answer your Q. The test centre cannot and will not supply a bike. If you want to go it alone you will need to provide your own bike, MOT it, insure it, and tax it, and show those documents to the test centre.

Much easier and cheaper in the long run to get lessons and use their bike on all your tests.

All good and correct points you make :thumb:

But additionally, unless taking the test on a 125, to do the test on a borrowed bike, the candidate has to ride the bike to the test centre under qualified supevision (thatn means a qualified DAS instructor), there has to be a radio link between instructor and candidate and both the instructor and candidate have to wear bibs with the name of the school as well as indicating which is the student and which is the instructor.

And not forgetting of course, L plates have to be displayed to the front and rear of the bike.

So to the OP, If you have a friend with a suitable bike, is a qualified instructor, has all the requirements in place and you are confident that you will not be wasting your money going straight in for the test without any lessons, then I wish you the very best of luck. :thumb: You will need it.

Ha. Okay fair point.

I do wonder how massively different riding a bigger bike is. I suspect not very much. Similar to my recent car upgrade - I went from a polo to a 328 with 2.5x as much power. Just the same.

have a bike on finance which I can switch for a more powerful bike on finance for the same price, cos I bought a 3k 125.

Oh they are going to mug you for all your money when you attempt to do that...

Ha. Okay fair point.

I do wonder how massively different riding a bigger bike is. I suspect not very much. Similar to my recent car upgrade - I went from a polo to a 328 with 2.5x as much power. Just the same.

According to your opinion and politely phrasing, If it's not very much different then why do you consider changing it ?

With your car upgrade :scratch: ...sorry I haven't notice the difference here either :lol:

Nah - I have a loan on a 3k bike. I can sell it privately, then buy another 3k bike.

Suuuuuure someone will give you for your used 125cc, 3k

pesos :thumb:

Nah - I have a loan on a 3k bike. I can sell it privately, then buy another 3k bike.

Cost 3k, you sell for 1.5k, you still paying off the loan and only have 1.5k to put towards the next bike...

Lots of 0% finance deals at the moment so might be better paying off the loan and starting again with a new bike on zero percent finance.

My 15 plate yamaha Mt125 has 4k on the clock is still worth 3k

Of course a bigger bike will have more power and be faster - I'm not denying that. But I don't suspect it'll be any harder than riding the smaller bike. Maybe our disagree?

Perhaps I'll be proven totally wrong - stranger things have happened. 86588c07bde3d6e51120b3e1deeab7b5.jpg

86588c07bde3d6e51120b3e1deeab7b5.jpg

No, what bikes are advertised for and what they shall for are two very different things.

dealers are advertising them close to 3k because that includes dealer services and they expect people to haggle them down a bit.

You can't sell a bike privately for the same price dealers advertise them for!

86588c07bde3d6e51120b3e1deeab7b5.jpg

No, what bikes are advertised for and what they shall for are two very different things.

dealers are advertising them close to 3k because that includes dealer services and they expect people to haggle them down a bit.

You can't sell a bike privately for the same price dealers advertise them for!

Half of those are private sellers. The dealer I bought my bike from offered me 2.5k for it. I know what my bike is worth dude.

Personally I think you should save up some more money and get some lessons under your belt, then when your instructor thinks you're ready go for your mod 1&2. I know it might seem more expensive however if you fail your mod 1 or 2 you have to pay for it again..

"A few thousand miles" isn't much in terms of experience and chances are you've picked up a few bad habits along the way like all of us have. The point I'm making is you need to be up to test standard and really only a qualified instructor can tell you if you are or aren't.

I think big bikes are a lot easier to ride than 125's.

True. Till you drop the thing then have to pick up a 225kg (500lb) beast. :roll:

Personally I think you should save up some more money and get some lessons under your belt, then when your instructor thinks you're ready go for your mod 1&2. I know it might seem more expensive however if you fail your mod 1 or 2 you have to pay for it again..

"A few thousand miles" isn't much in terms of experience and chances are you've picked up a few bad habits along the way like all of us have. The point I'm making is you need to be up to test standard and really only a qualified instructor can tell you if you are or aren't.

I guess that is true. There's being able to ride a bike then there's being able to pass a test. I'd probably fail my car test now...

To put the other side, mod1 is only £15?

If you have a mate prepared to risk you on their 650, could you not meet them at the test centre and just use the bike for the mod1? Its all off road so no issues around instructors/radio/etc.

To put the other side, mod1 is only £15?

If you have a mate prepared to risk you on their 650, could you not meet them at the test centre and just use the bike for the mod1? Its all off road so no issues around instructors/radio/etc.

That could definitely work

Rules about your motorcycle or moped

The motorcycle or moped you use for your tests must:

1.be a solo machine - you can only use a sidecar if you have certain disabilities

2.have a speedometer measuring speed in miles per hour (mph)

3.display L plates (‘L’ or ‘D’ plates in Wales) on the front and rear

4.be insured, taxed and roadworthy and have no engine warning lights showing

Source

You will more than likely be asked to show documentation to state that the bike is MOT'd and tax, and you are insured to ride it.