TC1474

<t>Is this tyre Legal or illegal</t>  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is this tyre Legal or illegal

• Legal
    • Illegal

Has it been tested in court TC?

Yes, a few years ago. Resulted in an aquital

Has also been tested for contributory negligence in an accident claim. Dismissed.

We live in a crazy world!!

Fair enough,but what about?

The exemption for mopeds is only paragraph (g)?

Did you read what was said? in the answer I gave with regards to legality :roll:

The post and original question was about the tread depth. It was not about cuts, bulges or anything else as I stated, it was simply asking the question about tread depth and was specifically for 49cc machines.

If it has cuts, bulges, cords showing or anything like that, then it becomes a defective tyre under the legislation and is a different issue. But for the purpose of the tread, it is legal.

I qualified it with

©Nothing in paragraph (1)(g) applies to a motorcycle with an engine capacity which does not exceed 50 cc.

Paragraph (1)(g) relates to the tread depth and pattern.

Did you read what was said? in the answer I gave with regards to legality :roll:

In fairness, it is a valid point Bianco2564 raises. Especially as you say this has been ruled on in court.

Paragraph (1)(f) does apply to vehicles of 49cc or less, there is no exemption given as there is for paragraph (1)(g). And it specifically regards the original tread pattern of the tyre, it has nothing to do with things like cuts or bulges so I am unsure why you even mentioned those.

For a court to have ruled that that tyre was legal they would have had to either ignored paragraph (1)(f) or interpreted in a specific way. That this is the case is also shown in the Highway Code only say "should" and not "MUST" in respective of moped tread.

So I do not think it unreasonable to ask why this paragraph, which seems to be still the current law, did not affect the legality of the tyre when it is the issue being discussed.

The only amendment I can see to paragraph (1)(f) was the one the 1990 fourth amendment that exempted it for "passenger vehicles other than motor cycles" when adding the more stringent requirements for a 1.6mm tread depth in order to comply with European regulation 89/459/EEC.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1990/1981/regulation/9/made

No one is disagreeing with you that it is legal. We are just wondering why when the law seems to require "the base of any groove which showed in the original tread pattern of the tyre" to be "clearly visible" regardless of engine size.

The only guess I could make from the picture is that the "base of any groove" has been taken to mean the start of the grooves on the outermost part of the tyre, as those are still visible on the right. But I think most of us would naturally assume the base to mean the bottom, which would require the tread to remain some depth, no matter how minute, in order for the shape of the whole grove to remain clearly visible.

©Nothing in paragraph (1)(g) applies to a motorcycle with an engine capacity which does not exceed 50 cc.

Had it been 50cc, then it would be illegal. 1cc can make all the difference.

If you want another I will come up with something....

Since we're playing technicalities....

50cc would still be legal, it would need to be >50cc

No, under 50cc it is a Moped. 50cc it becomes a motorcycle

Legal definition is Mopeds have a maximum engine displacement of 49 cc

No, under 50cc it is a Moped. 50cc it becomes a motorcycle

Legal definition is Mopeds have a maximum engine displacement of 49 cc

Had it been 50cc, then it would be illegal. 1cc can make all the difference.

If you want another I will come up with something....

Since we're playing technicalities....

You said Motorcycle though

Fair enough,but what about?

The exemption for mopeds is only paragraph (g)?

The post and original question was about the tread depth. It was not about cuts, bulges or anything else as I stated, it was simply asking the question about tread depth and was specifically for 49cc machines.

If it has cuts, bulges, cords showing or anything like that, then it becomes a defective tyre under the legislation and is a different issue. But for the purpose of the tread, it is legal.

I qualified it with

Paragraph (1)(g) relates to the tread depth and pattern.

Beg to differ your honour, but you asked in the first post if it was legal or illegal, not about tread depth etc?

"Following on from the thread about tyre mix, I thought you might enjoy thinking about this one.

49cc Moped. Is this tyre legal or illegal?

Remember I know the answer so I don't need the regulations and law thrown at me nor the moral rights and wrongs of riding on a tyre like this :wink:

I thought for those of you less experienced, you might enjoy debating it and the question is quite simple. Legal or illegal?"

I'm tyred of this thread already :roll:

You and me both

Wish I hadn't bothered now

discussion on Internet doesn't go as planned shocker! :lol:

awww we like playing these games... but people just like trying to find loopholes because it's fun :mrgreen:

Here's a loophole... What happens with electric bikes??

They have a capacity less than 50cc - they have 0cc engines!

Means we can all run slicks on our new super quick Tesla bikes :twisted:

Hence the kw power being given also

Hence the kw power being given also

where??

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/27/made

As if a 16 year old on a 49cc isn't dangerous enough or very experienced having taken a CBT for a twist and go but they an also legally ride a bike with a tyre like that?

I'm out! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk