What do YOU wear??

Hi guys last week i got some goodies from the bikeshop just wanted to know what you think and what you wear when riding.

Helmet- hjc is17

Gloves- leather

Jacket- alpinestar drystar cloth

Boots- long leatherboots ( frank sumthig make)

Cost me just over 400 pounds the whole lot

Mind you i saw the same helmet on ebay for 90 pounds dammm in paid 150. Do you think bottoms are nesseary especially me gona do motorway riding :))

:stupid: also.

Too much gear already, I'm a bit of a fashion freak so I have a few outfits to suit different occasions ranging from full on stormtrooper to wannabe James dean.

You definitely need leg protection and back protection, especially if you're riding on motorways regularly. It's not about your own abilities, it's protection or insurance against the potential of stupidity in others. Kevlar jeans at the very least.

Just get the matching trousers to go with your jacket and you'll be off to a good start... i always think that especially if you're commuting you should start with being fully waterproofed and then move on from there.. towards gear for those dry days.. and then as the season draws round towards winter.. colder weather gear.

If you get Kevlar Jeans.. then you will also need waterproof over trousers... so perhaps leave buying those for later in the summer.

i would also suggest a second pair of gloves.. so that your first 'leather' pair can have time to dry out naturally when they get their first proper soaking. Theres nothing worse than having to put on damp gloves... aside from. possibly, damp trousers.

Do you think bottoms are nesseary especially me gona do motorway riding :))

Bottoms over a jacket would have been a better idea. More injury are caused to legs in a crash than any other part of the boy except for the head.

A thong and a smile.

A crocodile posing pouch (opens its mouth when you get excited) and good gear with good armour/protection.

I wear whatever I like. Weather drives the decision more than anything else. The ultimate protection against injury is DON'T CRASH.

As others have said deco something for the legs.

I have RST textiles for commuting and wet weather and leathers for dry fun ridding.

Do you think bottoms are nesseary especially me gona do motorway riding :))

Why would you want to protect every part of your body except for your legs and crotch?

I wear ordinary jeans in town, but would be hesitant even on a 40mph road with them, let alone anything faster.

And unless you have muffs, for gloves I would recommend having separate summer and winter ones. The difference between ones right for the conditions and ones that are not is huge.

Also, especially on a motorway, you will want to wear ear plugs. Your ears need protecting too, and they will suffer even if you do not have an accident.

I went on at a mate for ages trying to get him to buy the mstching bottoms to his jacket. He ditched the bike at low speed on the way to work and snapped his leg in 2 places and obliterated his ankle.

I wouldnt say the pants would have necessarily saved his leg but i know i would rather have the shin/knee armour there than not.

hi

Recently I got a textile suit from eBay, branded KYB Wear. They have their own website that looks abandoned. It's a 2 piece suit with hip, knee, elbow and shoulder padding. Thermal lining that can be removed... the whole thing was just under £100. Pockets are a bit weak but the suit is comfy. Later I added a better back protection that fits tight in the jacket.

My dilemma is what to wear under the suit. I tried wearing only the trousers without lining and some shorts... the inside of my legs was cold very quickly (riding in the Spring, about 10 degrees C). Tried the same but wearing jeans and I was all sweaty. I haven't tried the thermal lining for the legs but deeply regretted taking it off the jacket when I went for an evening ride.

Went to the cinema with no jeans under that suit and it was a bit too warm.

Like they say on Facebook: It's complicated!

Got J&S boots from their factory shop but the stitching was damaged in less than 300 miles. I doubt they are waterproof now but usable with a bit of duck tape... They offered a discount when I bought another pair but this time I picked another brand. RKS, I think.

My Givi flip up helmet was the only thing I *really* liked from my recent shopping. Very comfortable even riding with glasses on. Can't remember the model name but would go back to Givi for helmets if I needed to, even knowing it's not their main product line.

My dilemma is what to wear under the suit. I tried wearing only the trousers without lining and some shorts... the inside of my legs was cold very quickly (riding in the Spring, about 10 degrees C). Tried the same but wearing jeans and I was all sweaty. I haven't tried the thermal lining for the legs but deeply regretted taking it off the jacket when I went for an evening ride.

They're a bit pricey but I have a Merino long sleeve base layer from these people http://www.edzlayering.com/ and it is pretty good at keeping me warm without being sweaty. Gonna get some leggings for the winter! Think my OH has their whole range of base layers and his recommendations made me try them out!

I have the Alpinestars Andes jacket and trousers for winter / wet weather. They've kept me warm and more importantly, dry, through some pretty wet riding. For something that wasn't horrendously expensive I think they do the job very well.

They're a bit pricey but I have a Merino long sleeve base layer from these people http://www.edzlayering.com/ and it is pretty good at keeping me warm without being sweaty. Gonna get some leggings for the winter! Think my OH has their whole range of base layers and his recommendations made me try them out!

Keep an eye out on Aldi's special buys too - can get merino stuff much cheaper than I've seen elsewhere, and so far it's been every bit as good. Might have to wait for skiing stuff to come around again, but think they do them for the motorbike and possibly cycling offers too.

It's a good question though - I'm planning on taking my textile stuff when I go to Europe in the summer, but wasn't sure how to layer up, especially for going high in the mountains.