Not leaning over.

someone

This is mainly just random nonsense with no real point to it, but I refuse to believe that I lean over on corners.

To be clear, I reluctantly accept that I too have to obey the laws of physics, and I know how bikes go around corners. I even have a camera mounted on my bars which inexplicably tilts the view a little when going around them too.

But this is the era of fake news, and it is therefore my right to wilfully choose to believe something that I know is not true.

So on Sunday I was crawling along on my little 125 along the A272 between Winchester and Petersfield when a bike when whizzing past. Which is not that unusual, and usually they are very quickly out of sight. But there were some cars several hundred yards ahead that they were stuck behind for a while.

I have only ever ridden alone, so the only time I am behind other bikers is in town.

Like just before getting back home on Sunday, when I made a lovely sound as I locked the rear wheel. A pizza scooterist had moved in front of me and suddenly slammed on the brakes as he was about to go past a big pot hole. Not over it. Not even having to swerve around it. Taking a line that was passing the side of it. But that is a separate, and more boring, anecdote from the day.

In town things are slow enough to not need much leaning. Which is good, because it being something I never do.

It was a bit different though when going at 60mph, the same as the not-too-distant cars, and seeing the bike stuck behind them having to lean. It made me slow down more than I needed to when I reached the same corner as I, someone who never leans, was most definitely not going to do that. Besides, I am not scheduled to fall off my bike until December — given accidents in October 2015 and November 2016 — so I need to stay upright for a few more months yet.

But it was quite disconcerting to see someone leaned over so much doing the same speed as me rather than when zooming off at 100mph. Thankfully that biker were soon able to overtake the cars and were gone, leaving me to the comfort of my delusion. And the other bikers I saw, and there were loads, were either quickly out of sight or going the other way.

As I say, there is no real point to this post. I guess though I just need to get used to seeing other bikes going around corners so all this leaning business becomes normal. Then instead of worrying about how scary it looks, I can just laugh at their unnecessary stupidity knowing they could have just stayed upright around them like me.

The point is that as much as I know you have to lean to turn, it happens automatically and is not something I want to think about.

So it just freaked me out a little seeing how obviously you need to lean at those speeds, having never had opportunity to see it before. Because obviously I cannot see myself, and as I ride alone I have never had anyone on a bike in front of me.

Bikes don't turn, they bank

Stop thinking and just ride. How else you supposed to get the most out of your tyres if you don't use the edges of them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Stop thinking and just ride.

I do, which is precisely why actually seeing it and realizing was disconcerting.

But I enjoy myself plenty enough without wanting to get my knees down or care about the edge of my tyres. It is just like how people are happy to fly when they do not need to think about how something so heavy stays in the air.

And the only motorsport I watch is speedway, so not as much leaning going on there. But whilst I have obviously seen bits of other bike racing, there is a huge difference an amateur idiot like me between trundling along a road at 60mph towards corners obscured with trees and a professional going over 100mph into a corner with visibility all the way around and no oncoming traffic trying to get out every bit of performance. The two are far too different into how the corners are taken.

Like I said, I know how bikes have to corner, but there is a difference between knowing something academically and actually seeing and experiencing it.

If you ride in a group then you will get to follow other bikes at the same speed and it all looks normal. But being on my own on a slow bike I never get to catch anyone else up, and when people overtake me they quickly disappear into the distance rather than then slow down to my speed. So it is not really that surprising I have not been in that position of seeing it before, even without having to have my eyes closed.

But it was just a strange observation that after 14k miles over the past two years it is not something I have ever seen in person and so it had that "airplane falling from the sky" effect. Obviously in future I will keep such things to myself.

don't listen to them someone they all spout shit no one else understands all the time :lol: :up:

new headstock bearings means I'm really enjoying moving around on the bike and getting a bit of a lean on :mrgreen: probably feels more epic than it is... never seen myself go round a corner :lol:

But it was quite disconcerting to see someone leaned over so much doing the same speed as me rather than when zooming off at 100mph. Thankfully that biker were soon able to overtake the cars and were gone, leaving me to the comfort of my delusion. And the other bikers I saw, and there were loads, were either quickly out of sight or going the other way.

As I say, there is no real point to this post. I guess though I just need to get used to seeing other bikes going around corners so all this leaning business becomes normal. Then instead of worrying about how scary it looks, I can just laugh at their unnecessary stupidity knowing they could have just stayed upright around them like me.

There is no need to lean in the corners... I have been part of some "road racing" events, few guys that wanted to lean as far as possible in almost every corner :roll: Corners that I wouldn't even class as sharp or worth doing so in that position but some of my bike friends were almost horizontal :lol: I found very few corners that gave me opportunity for the speed etc and needs of full lean was the only way to do it. Personally I think it's a laugh when I am following someone that perform a semi full leaning position in corner where I am sitting almost upright and handling the bike with my one hand :wink:

Personally I think it's a laugh when I am following someone that perform a semi full leaning position in corner where I am sitting almost upright and handling the bike with my one hand :wink:

your way sounds a lot less fun.

Personally I think it's a laugh when I am following someone that perform a semi full leaning position in corner where I am sitting almost upright and handling the bike with my one hand :wink:

your way sounds a lot less fun.

Roads around me are just very simple and easy taken at high speeds without leaning, that is all.

If you are not leaning you are not going round corners :roll:

Seriously :roll:

Below I have explained my previous post only for you.

Semi full leaning as in almost dragging their knee.

And I am almost upright = lean just a bit.

And I do not lean at all...I go with the curve :thumb:

If you are not leaning you are not going round corners :roll:

Seriously :roll:

Below I have explained my previous post only for you.

Semi full leaning as in almost dragging their knee.

And I am almost upright = lean just a bit.

And I do not lean at all...I go with the curve :thumb:

Read the topic title and don't think every post is in reply to you ;-)

Even a push bike leans to get round corners. It only really becomes noticeable as you reach the higher speeds for that vehicle. Speedway bikes do lean, just not as much as the 62° that a MotoGp bike hits.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well if it was addressed to me, then thanks for the insight.

Although even if you could not see through the really heavy sarcasm, or me saying that I know how bikes corner, whatever did you think I meant by "this is the era of fake news, and it is therefore my right to wilfully choose to believe something that I know is not true" ?

Despite the lack of popularity of my anecdotes, I made another observation by following bikes yesterday. Although this time in town, so too slow for any large leaning observations.

I was travelling between Park Lane and Vauxhall on the way home, and several other bikers seemed to be going the same way. More than I am used to seeing together as I do not commute.

It was quite funny seeing them squeeze into every gap they could find.

My filtering is likely quite rubbish, but it works for me. Mainly I only bother when stuck behind a big queue of traffic. And even then, usually just to sit behind the front car rather than ignoring stop lines.

Anyway, no matter how often they ended up in front of me, my rubbish filtering still saw me keep catching them up, and at times even getting ahead of them. Glad I do not have to do that every day, but it kept me amused that there was so little difference between always trying to get to the front and my cautious and laid back approach.

Well if it was addressed to me, then thanks for the insight.

It wasn't addressed to anyone in particular but if the cap fits then feel free to wear it :thumb:

This topic is rather comical.

I think some people are getting confused with bike leaning and rider using bodyweight and hanging off in corners.

I have read a reply on here saying they were following a bike same speed and he is meant right over and you were upright. If you want to get into the physics, then your bike would have been at a greater lean angle than the rider hanging off.

If that's their riding style then so be it, I use my body in sharper corners not to get my knee down (although that would be nice) but in the event of something going wrong half way round the bend I'm more likely to lowside than highside like the bloke following sitting bolt upright who runs more of a risk of highsiding.

That's part of the reason why racers hang off along with achieving greater speeds round the bend and knowing the where the edge of the tyre is with their knee as a reference.

If you don't want to lean a bike in corners then don't, just buy a trike otherwise stop overthinking corners, look where want to go and ride safe

Drops the mike

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The point is that as much as I know you have to lean to turn, it happens automatically and is not something I want to think about.

Thinking about your steering, counter steering consciously and deliberately, and understanding how it all works, will help you no end the day you need to change direction quickly in an emergency, or you find yourself running wide in a bend for some reason.

It does happen automatically, but letting it happen automatically and saying its not something you want to think about means you will never learn proper machine control and means you are basically just a passenger, not the person truly in control of the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pagriJOuH0g

At 5mph pushing the right bar will turn the bike left.

At 60mph pushing the right bar will turn the bike right..

So at what speed does it change?

Discuss....