Commuter clothing

When looking at textiles are there specific water/shower proof ones or are they all generally ok in wet weather?

Im just after some budget kit for the 10 mile commute all black if possible, no stripes or colours or logos.

Budget textiles wont stay waterproof for long. To give good waterproofing they need to be either gortex, v expensive, or have a waterproof liner.

Taped seams fail quickly.

Jackets are generally better than trouser for the water proof qualities. (my last pair of budget trousers lasted about 14 months and cost circa £80 on offer at a bike show :roll: the jacket, same make, lasted about 5 years before the leaks got too bad.)

So buy cheap textiles and get a good pair of rainproof overtrousers.

Hoggs

Hoggs has a pair of cheap over trousers that she wear and rates then highly

Best waterproof products I found were the goretex Army jackets which fit over any jacket perfectly and just some general waterproof over trousers. I went in to my local Army/ Navy store in my motorcycle gear and just tried stuff on till I found the right size.

£50 all in and its better than anything sub £500 in the jacket and trouser department.

Now I just wear a leather jacket and kevlar jeans most of the time with my waterproof overs just stuffed in a cheap tail pack and a first aid kit.

Only when its sub 10 degrees do I get the textiles out and just leave the thermal liners in all year.

Thanks Hoggfather :thumb:

Found a held textile jacket at a steal of a price so got that coming even though its a bit jazzier than i would like.

Will have a look for pants and overtrousers.

Held do some decent over trousers in black......Ride recommended......I think GetGeared has them for about £35...... 8-)

For waterproof overtrousers I've had several people recommend ex-army goretex stuff on eBay.

Was it me? :mrgreen:

Hoggs

Hoggs has a pair of cheap over trousers that she wear and rates then highly

Because I recommend them frequently! I think you can get ex-police ones that are non-camo if you're a fussypots :mrgreen:

£12 off ebay... there is a small patch on my right knee that's started letting water in in torrential downpours.. but I have another pair so maybe I should swap over

Tell you what this commuting lark is more dangerous than belting around the countryside. 3 times this morning people pulled out on me, thats more than in the last year of riding the blade!

Found some revit textile pants i was using when i done my test a few years ago, just need some boots and possibly a helmet and gloves too as im going to end up ruining these ones using them daily.

Backpack wise is kriega still the way to go?

I commute daily

Kevlar lined jeans and a Dainese jacket Oxford lines over trousers and a £15.00 jacket from Aldi when it wet. Helmet, I use a neck tube over my head so I can change it every day or so and it keeps my helmet clean. Commuting is more difficult than weekend riding, most drivers are thinking of work or getting home, not driving.

I commute daily

Kevlar lined jeans and a Dainese jacket Oxford lines over trousers and a £15.00 jacket from Aldi when it wet. Helmet, I use a neck tube over my head so I can change it every day or so and it keeps my helmet clean. Commuting is more difficult than weekend riding, most drivers are thinking of work or getting home, not driving.

I think with my other bike being fairly loud i havent yet encountered any problems filtering on it whereas the new bike is so quiet im like a ninja sneaking through lol. My spidey senses are waking up and will hopefully keep me safe!

Thanks for the help guys, loving this new side of biking although its only been 2 days :lol: