Starter maintenance kit

geofferz

Hi. The chap in the shop told me my Mt125 needs a new chain because it's slack and at the end of its adjustment. Annoying as the bike has only done 4k miles but anyway. I believed him because he told me to fit it myself and not pay him to do it.

I have no tools at all. What do I need? I'm thinking:

A paddock stand or lift (bike has no centre stand). Which is better?

Sprocket set thing

Torque wrench

Chain with riveted master link (not pish click, I gather)

Chain break tool

New sprockets (front too?)

Latex gloves

Advice on how much to spend on these things? Mid range?

Cheers

This is what I paid for various tools and kit you mentioned.

Paddock stands - front and rear - £35 = eBay, however there are normally ones cheaper on gumtree.

Chain and sprocket set for mine was £35. Found yours here although it states split link, so check in your manual what it needs.

Mine was a split link so didn't need a chain splitter.

Torque wrench I already had but I think it was about £60 new.

Gloves pound shop is good for then

There are loads of YouTube clips on how to change chain.

First things first

Whatever you buy make sure its the best you can afford and not cheap crap that will be one use if you are lucky

Yeah I never buy the cheapest. 'afford' is quite a loose term hence my question really. Obviously I don't need top of the range.

4k for a chain seems very low!

Yeah I thought so too. However, it is very slack indeed and at the end of the adjustment so can't be tightened...

This is what I paid for various tools and kit you mentioned.

Paddock stands - front and rear - £35 = eBay, however there are normally ones cheaper on gumtree.

Chain and sprocket set for mine was £35. Found yours here although it states split link, so check in your manual what it needs.

Mine was a split link so didn't need a chain splitter.

Torque wrench I already had but I think it was about £60 new.

Gloves pound shop is good for then

There are loads of YouTube clips on how to change chain.

Nice one - thanks matey

The ABBA stand is far more useful than a paddock stand if you're planbing on doing most of your own maintenance from now on. Well worth the increased price IMO as it's far more flexible. I mean the basic stand not the sky lift.

Halfords often do big sales on their tool sets and the big set is what forms the basis of my equipment. Torque wrench is handy but you need a few for different ranges as they are not accurate towards the limits of their range. They are not essential though for most basic jobs.

Split links are fine for a learner legal 125. I use one on my cg. I would only use rivet links on a bigger bike though.

On a riveted chain I cut the old one off with a dremel and use and DID tool replica for the new rivets.

Always change both sprockets with the chain as using a mix of old and new will wear the new components significantly faster. JT sprockets are fine. DID for chain. Up to you whether you want to pay the extra for an o-ring chain or not. Non o ring chains need more regularl cleaning and lubing.

:stupid:

The ABBA stand is ideal and versatile. No probs when you change the bike as new inserts can be had.

Halfords pro range is also guaranteed for life should anything break.

Hi. The chap in the shop told me my Mt125 needs a new chain because it's slack and at the end of its adjustment. Annoying as the bike has only done 4k miles but anyway. I believed him because he told me to fit it myself and not pay him to do it.

TAKE IT BACK!! A chain on a new bike shouldn't reach the end of its life in 4k miles!!

TAKE IT BACK!! A chain on a new bike shouldn't reach the end of its life in 4k miles!!

Hmm I bought it preowned.

• 2 months later...

I upgraded my car so haven't ridden the bike since this thread, and was thinking of selling it, so I bought no tools. However, it's nice and sunny and I might ride it a bit. Questions: can I replace just the chain? The sprockets are probably fine after only 4k and it would save me removing the wheel etc. Is that right? Or can I just shorten it instead?

Cheers

No, chain and sprockets should be replaced together.

Because of the way they work, they wear each other in a unique way. Replacing just one means there will be rapidly increased wear on all parts.

No, chain and sprockets should be replaced together.

Because of the way they work, they wear each other in a unique way. Replacing just one means there will be rapidly increased wear on all parts.

:stupid: To be fair the chain is the expensive part so it's not much more painful buying the sprockets too. Just bought a Tsubaki chain and Renthal sprockets for mine 8-)

Yeah it's not the cost it's the need for all of the above tools for removing the wheels etc.

You're South coast? May be worth dropping Megawatt a PM and seeing if he can help.. chains are his favourite thing :mrgreen:

I spoke with Adam just this morning actually! He offered to help - nice chap - but did encourage me to try myself too. I thought I'd offer the forum a chance to give some advice to save messaging him over and over.

I spoke with Adam just this morning actually! He offered to help - nice chap - but did encourage me to try myself too. I thought I'd offer the forum a chance to give some advice to save messaging him over and over.

Adam?........don't you mean Alan?........ :wink:

ABBA stand will last a lifetime if not abused.....and, as JRH says, you can just buy different adapters when you change bikes...... 8-)

As Arwen and Hoggs say, buy a decent chain and sprocket set......and possibly a Scottoiler too, as I suspect your current chains premature demise was probably due to lack of maintenance before you got the bike...... :wink:

A cheap angle grinder makes a good chain splitter..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

See if Halfords have any deals on for their pro socket sets at the moment......they're good kit..... 8-)

Changing the chain and sprockets is not a difficult job to do.......and we're here for advice if you need it...... 8-)