It started with a car seat...

MarkW

A couple of weeks ago, whilst struggling to get one of the kids seats back into the car, we thought it might be time for him to move up to one of the slightly larger and lighter models. After checking a few websites we decided to weigh him to find out which one would be the most appropriate, but not having any scales - or indeed any idea what he weighed - presented us with a bit of a problem. My wife suddenly decided that 16 years of happy cohabitation without a set of bathroom scales was ridiculous, and that we must buy some at once. And not just any scales: she was certain that numerous domestic benefits would accrue from our joint ownership of a set of those fancy body-analyser ones that tell you how many hours you'd burn for if your rancid body was to be rendered down into an oversized candle. I was less enthusiastic about the whole enterprise, especially after they arrived and I hopped on, hit the 'body composition analyser' button and discovered that I appear to be a spindly skeleton supporting a body that is equal parts Chocolate Orange and Toffifee.

So, deciding that the time had finally come to take the bull by the horns, I bought a mountain bike and have started cycling to work. So far it's been going great - especially for someone who hasn't ridden a bike for 10 years - and I'm loving it. Despite making the mental note that I wasn't on a motorbike each time I set off, I still instinctively grabbed an enthusiastic handful of front brake this morning in an attempt to avoid one of those moggie-runs-out-oops-I've-chopped-it-in-half moments, which came perilously close to depositing me in the river Nidd. Now my wife has bought a bike too, and in addition to cycling to work together we've also upgraded the kids bikes and started using the local cycleway at the weekends.

Funny how these things start!

You doing the who lycra clad idiot routine? :lol:

Partly - I've got the idiot bit sussed but I don't wear Lycra. 8-)

And I don't ride on the main road either - there's an off road track from the bottom of our street all the way to the Tech Park. :thumb:

My my...

Big deal those Brits make out of riding a bicycle...

Of course, for us who have it in our genes, there is nothing more natural outside walking, but still.

Well at least you don't do the rediculous lycra.

Just get dressed in your daily suit and hop on the pushbike and go !

Now more importantly, I'm dying to know what actually happened to the new car-seats for your kids.

Did you forget about that all together in the excitement of being cyclists ?

Or worse, did you spend all your money on mountainbikes and do you still force your own flesh and blood in too small seats ? :shock:

Really... Brits and bicycles... :roll:

Brits and bicycles... :roll:

Have you tried to cross a road in Amsterdam when the pedestrian light is green, the ** bikes still dont stop. :twisted:

Yes, I have many times (I used to live in A'dam... and survived...).

But pedestrians, including yours truly, mostly cross regardless of the colour of the light too.

And likewise do cyclists ignore colours, I must admit.

These Amsterdammers (and other city folk) are a bunch of suicidal opportunists. :shock:

They look for a 'hole' in the line of traffic and then run/pedal for their lives, while trying to avoid colission.

It's a miracle there are still so many of us...

:mrgreen:

My my...

Big deal those Brits make out of riding a bicycle...

Of course, for us who have it in our genes, there is nothing more natural outside walking, but still.

Well at least you don't do the rediculous lycra.

Just get dressed in your daily suit and hop on the pushbike and go !

To be fair, we have quite a lot of those big lumpy hill things around here. :D

When I was in holland with my ex-gf (who was dutch) she pointed out the highest mountain in the country. I thought it must be way off in the distance 'cos I couldn't even see a hill.

(for the southerners, not so different to the gog-magog 'hills')

Yeah I know... It's not even coming near the hight of a mountain.

But the tragedy is that it consists of marl, which is used to make cement.

And since the Dutch (the others that is, I would never do that) would sell their own grandma for money, it is being excavated for the profit. :shock:

So in a few years time there will be an enormous pit where once the only 'mountain' of the Netherlands was situated... :roll:

By the way, we have really drifted further away from the car seats, haven't we...? :)

Yeah I know... It's not even coming near the hight of a mountain.

But the tragedy is that it consists of marl, which is used to make cement.

And since the Dutch (the others that is, I would never do that) would sell their own grandma for money, it is being excavated for the profit. :shock:

So in a few years time there will be an enormous pit where once the only 'mountain' of the Netherlands was situated... :roll:

By the way, we have really drifted further away from the car seats, haven't we...? :)

A mole will be along at some point to install an entire mountain range for you. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk