Is it an age thing?

TC1474

This is probably a question that can only be answered by someone in their 60's, or older than me (late 50's), I don't know, hence I thought I would ask the question.

I have always by and large been quite mild mannered and it usually takes a lot to wind me up before I let fly, but once the blue touch paper has been lit it is usually a case of stand back as I blow my top, (which very few people have ever seen) after which it is forgotten, no grudges and I carry on.

I have always (and still do) try to and have been prepared to help out wherever I can, and I have always tried to look at the funny side of things or find humour in 99% of situations.

This is different to having a difference of opinion, or an argument or debate as we all have different views, I am on about really being wound up.

But over the past 12 - 18 months, I have noticed that I really am becoming less tolerant of people, things or circumstances. I have lost count of the number of times I have been seething and really had to bite my lip or I have had a pop at someone because they have come out with total garbage.

A few people have commented that my reaction has sometimes surprised them, It is only when I think back I realise that maybe I was a bit off...

I used to think said someone who spouted garbage was just a tosspot and then move on. Now I think what a total w@nker and it festers with me and simmers below the waterline.

Is that just me or is it an age thing? And don't mention the male menopause. Not interested.... :wink: :roll:

I have quite a few people who are a big part of my life who are now between 60 and 80, parents, step parents, in-laws, aunts, uncles, etc, and they seem to go either one way or the other, more grumpy and less tolerant, or more chilled and less bothered. Almost all go more forgetful and in some cases confused. In my step fathers case definitely grumpy and less tolerant, but I put that down to retirement and the fact he now lives a quiet life in a little bubble where he only has to deal with what's inside that bubble, when something invades that bubble, like noisy grandchildren for instance, he can't cope.

I have noticed on here you've been getting frustrated and quite snappy when someone doesn't understand one of your posts or disagrees with it. I've also noticed you posting less in the past few weeks. I commented a few weeks ago and said I'd get you some cannabis if it would help. It was in jest and I was yanking your chain of course, but was because you seemed frustrated.

Try mind over matter and taking a deep breath and saying "who cares", especially when it comes to forums because if some stranger doesn't agree with you on an internet forum it really doesn't matter a jot, and if you don't enjoy an online debate just walk away from it. When they start getting insulting that's a different matter, and I'll bite back, but still it reflects more on them than it does on you, and they still mean nothing to you.

If mind over matter doesn't work and it's worrying you that you can't control your mood, see a doctor, there are a number of conditions that can cause personality change which are much more treatable if caught early. Stress can do it too, how is work? Alcohol can do it too, are you drinking much?

Stress can do it too, how is work? Alcohol can do it too, are you drinking much?

I don't do stress :wink: Work is great, and I have not drunk alcohol since I was about 25.

My medication is not the cause, and yes I am not posting as much at the moment and those that have really wound me up I have simply blocked so I don't give a stuff what they say or think.

And you are right, I have been getting snappy at times, and my lip is quite sore from biting it so hard, but it is not just about forum chatter, it goes further than that.

I was even swearing out loud at drivers today. Something I have very rarely done although that is not to say that I have not cursed them under my breath, but out loud is unusual for me.

I was even swearing out loud at drivers today. Something I have very rarely done although that is not to say that I have not cursed them under my breath, but out loud is unusual for me.

Have you been in Hull today? that will do it for sure :lol:

Also the username Grumpy Old Git is already taken :lol:

Have you been in Hull today? that will do it for sure :lol:

Nah. I was there last Thursday.

And if I was going to change my name it might be to something like "Don't confuse me with someone who gives a sh1t" :wink:

Sounds like sexual frustration TC , try and bang one out in the morning before you leave for work and sneak off some where at dinner times and have another go :thumb:

Sounds like sexual frustration TC , try and bang one out in the morning before you leave for work and sneak off some where at dinner times and have another go :thumb:

I see problem there.

I don't leave for work in the morning as I work from home :wink:

Secondly, these days, medication has put paid to banging one out. Might just manage a dribble :wink:

Last time I blew my top was at a biker who was thrashing a gsxr600 around our estate,doing probably 60-70 mph past our house.

This went on for a few weeks,I could hear him blasting around the neighbourhood nearly every night and weekend.

One day I heard him approaching,I was just going to get his number plate,but I lost it,stopped him in the road and gave him a right bollocking.

He didn't say a word and sheepishly rode off never to see him again.

Stress can do it too, how is work? Alcohol can do it too, are you drinking much?

I don't do stress :wink: Work is great, and I have not drunk alcohol since I was about 25.

I can see where your going wrong then.... ;)

You have seemed more snappy and gone a bit overboard in responses to people who genuinely didn't understand a point and needed it phrased a little differently to make it click.

I'm very snappy and intolerant and I am 30. For me it kicked in with an ex making false accusations and making my life a misery for 6 months. And this was 6 years ago it happened and I still trust about 3 or 4 people only.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Odd one really. Some things I care more about and get more wound up by, but other things (politics being a good example) I find it hard to care about as much as I used to. This is at the tender age of 33!

As for internet forums, it's always easier to misread the intent behind someone's words, and I do my best to treat them as a light-hearted place to share information, exchange useless banter and promote often-overlooked chocolate bars.

This is probably a question that can only be answered by someone in their 60's, or older than me (late 50's), I don't know, hence I thought I would ask the question.

I have always by and large been quite mild mannered and it usually takes a lot to wind me up before I let fly, but once the blue touch paper has been lit it is usually a case of stand back as I blow my top, (which very few people have ever seen) after which it is forgotten, no grudges and I carry on.

I have always (and still do) try to and have been prepared to help out wherever I can, and I have always tried to look at the funny side of things or find humour in 99% of situations.

This is different to having a difference of opinion, or an argument or debate as we all have different views, I am on about really being wound up.

But over the past 12 - 18 months, I have noticed that I really am becoming less tolerant of people, things or circumstances. I have lost count of the number of times I have been seething and really had to bite my lip or I have had a pop at someone because they have come out with total garbage.

A few people have commented that my reaction has sometimes surprised them, It is only when I think back I realise that maybe I was a bit off...

I used to think said someone who spouted garbage was just a tosspot and then move on. Now I think what a total w@nker and it festers with me and simmers below the waterline.

Is that just me or is it an age thing? And don't mention the male menopause. Not interested.... :wink: :roll:

It can be a heart condition thing more than an age thing.

Also the username Grumpy Old Git is already taken :lol:

Too bl@@dy right it is!

However, on a serious note - I think it is the frustration of realising that not many people actually 'gain and grow' from life's experiences and 'common sense' seems to be a forgotten premise. More and more folk rely on what the 'news' papers and media tell them rather than establishing the true facts for themselves. very recently (two weeks ago), I asked some folk to get provisions for the yacht I was about to take over advising that they needed to be quick as the shop closes at 5pm. This tey were informed at 3:30pm. Well, to cut a long story short - they set off at 5:05pm and returned empty handed! No breakfast the next day then! I really had to 'bite hard' to stop myself telling them what idiots they were (I did have to live with them for the next two weeks anyway!!!).

So, I think your 'condition' is just a 'generation thing' whereby your experiences have taught you the best way to live and they simply have not taken 'life' on board (yet).

Cure: Ride the bike more!

8-)

Ugh common sense is definitely dying out. The amount of times people at work freak out about stuff going wrong rather than just sorting it out :roll:

I am getting slightly more mellow in my old age :lol: If I find myself getting annoyed I go plan some more bike rides :mrgreen:

Common sense dying out....... generation thing.......

This video is worth 18 minutes of any parents time, or anyone who works with the under 30's in their workplace, and he's engaging enough to watch him for 18 minutes.

I'm not sure I'd agree with him that "Millenials" are 1984 onwards, I'd put it 10 or 15 years later than that, but everything else he says is bang on the money.

">

That's aimed at young people, but there's just as many middle aged people doing exactly the same things as he describes. The problem isn't young people, it's technology and the world advancing and changing the way the world functions not just young people.

That's aimed at young people, but there's just as many middle aged people doing exactly the same things as he describes. The problem isn't young people, it's technology and the world advancing and changing the way the world functions not just young people.

Fair comment.

How old are you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, adjusting your behaviour as a result of technology, and being educated as a child surrounded by technology, and parents that telling you you are special, getting a medal for coming last, etc, etc. That's bound to have an effect, so the effects he described around "entitled", "self image", etc I think do affect young more than old.

There is a massive difference today within the work place especially.

As an apprentice at 16 we were in a very militarised environment (I did my time at ICI).

The apprentices at work now seen to feel they have a God given right to everything.

E.g..

I am a shift Manager in a power station.

When I was an apprentice they were great like gods to be honest. We had full respect as firstly they earned it and secondly for the responsibility they held.

Twice within the last 6 month I have had an apprentice swear at my senior op due to issues with RAMS etc.

On both occasions I have firstly reprimanded them then informed their manager. Only to be told "It's a different world now Neil"

Well these are the people who will become statistics as basic command structure does not exist in their upbringing and thought process. I.e. they are an accident waiting to happen. Well they have to be honest. Both our apprentices have within the last year had (luckily non RIDDOR) accidents. Although minor would not have occurred if they did not have the self belief of always being right.

Older I get, more tolerant and easy going I am :shock: I used to be known by my very bad temper and a violent nature :roll: any little thing was setting me off :( Now, I am all peace, love and go f*ck yourself :lol: