Clothing brands

Started shopping around for a couple of bits and bobs, and was wondering what people's views are in the different clothing brands, and how they compare. Are there any brands you particularly like, and any you'd avoid?

I've got the RST Paragon V stuff, which I really like, not least as the fit is good on me. I've also got RST jeans, which are fine, and a Merlin waxed jacket which is also a really nice fit.

Today I've been looking at vented/mesh jackets, and have tried on the following, in price order:

Oxford Toledo Air £99.99

Spada air Pro 2 £109.99

RST spectre mesh £119.99

Alpinestars Air £139.99

RST ventilator 5 £169.99

Spidi ventamax £220

Whilst some of the more expensive ones obviously have more features, I can't really tell much about quality or durability from just picking them up in the shop, hence the original question.

I've got alpinestars textiles and both the trousers and jacket have failed in some way or another. Will not buy again.

Can't comment on the others.

I have to just go with whichever brand realises not all women want to be covered in pink and has it in a size which fits which is based on a number pulled out a hat :evil:

I have had all sorts in the past and I always end up with RST leathers I haven't had many pairs of gloves as I got a set of clover gloves that fit err like a glove and they lasted well over 10 years! Sidi boots Arai helmets as they fit me

I have had frank thomas leathers before but they fell apart I have had a big crash in RST gear and walked away with just a cut on my finger! the leathers where trashed

I am currently struggling with gloves as they don't seem to fit right! fingers and hand fits but thumb is huge! :? currently got two pairs of merlin gloves but I am looking for others that fit better

I like Halvarssons/jofama/lindstrands stuff a lot. They have a massive range of sizes too which I appreciate.

I like RST as well to be fair though.

Knox are rather good. I'm actually just buying one of their action shirts. Means I can remove the bulky armour from my jacket.

I like RST kit but my current kit list is as follows:

Helmet: Shark Speed-R (2 of them). Trying to get an allowance to buy a Shark Spartan Guintoli. Seems unlikely (too many helmets)

Leathers: Furygan. Cannot rate them highly enough. Water resistant but good enough to survive a storm deluge. I believe all my seams are double or triple stitched. Seriously comfy and well fitting.

Dry weather Boots: Alpinestar S-MX Plus. Not bad, comfier than the old ones I used to had and less bulky.

Gloves: Knox and Furygan in the dry. Knox are probably better in how they secure with their boa system. Furygan tether my little finger to the finger next to it so you don't bend it back in a crash.

Textiles: RST and they are great in winter for warmth.

Wet weather Boots. RST trachtech Evo WP. They certainly keep the rain out.

Wet weather gloves: Believe they are Richa. Too short to go over the RST jacket. Bit of a pain tbh.

Avoid the fashion brands such as Alpinestars, then after that you get what you pay for.

I read a great article the other day about the various brands. Dainese in particular surprised me. I need to find it and post it here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Avoid the fashion brands such as Alpinestars, then after that you get what you pay for.

I read a great article the other day about the various brands. Dainese in particular surprised me. I need to find it and post it here.

A fair few years back one of the mags did a test of leathers and hein gericke's £300 leathers came out better than alpinestars £1800 leathers :shock:

A fair few years back one of the mags did a test of leathers and hein gericke's £300 leathers came out better than alpinestars £1800 leathers :shock:

Can't find the bloody article, it popped up at random on Facebook I think :(

Suffice to say I do remember the article saying Dainese road leathers have only started being certified and I believe the Alpinestars didn't double or triple stitch key areas meaning potential suit burst.

No different to normal clothes. I'm totally going to show my age and total lack of fashion sense here, but are Hilfiger jeans better than Next? (sorry, insert what ever the modern equivalent is instead of those brands), but no, fashion brands aren't really any more than paying for a badge.

My next textile suit is going to be Halvarssons, they seem to be the closest to Rukka quality and performance, but without spending £1000's of pounds.

If you are going to be spending £100s of pounds on TEXTILE motorcycle clothing for riding in the UK and northern European climate... at least consider the benefits of buying clothing that uses GORETEX. as either a laminate.. or removable liner.

I have goretex boots and gloves, but simply can't stretch to the cost of the jackets and trousers. Would like some in the future, when there's a cracking sale on, but the next purchase is a mesh jacket for as close to £100 as possible.

The RST Spectre is the current front-runner, as I know I like their stuff and it fits really nicely.

Really helpful stuff guys, cheers.

[mention]MR_W[/mention] you could search your browser history for the article maybe?

Sodding Facebook app. So won't be in any history. I'll try and remember a line from the article and search for that in Google. Their bots must have picked it up.

Don't say I'm not persistent. Found the bugger.

http://www.superbikefreaks.com/leathers-part-2/

Some interesting stuff there, even though I'm not bothered about leathers at the moment. The approach from each manufacturer is probably indicative of their overall approach across the range though.

Edited by Lateralus

I've never heard of any report of Halvarssons gear leaking when fastened properly, and it doesn't use GoreTex. One of the staff in J&S Watford told me they've had loads of Alpinestars Gore-Tex suits bought back due to leaks.

Gore-Tex is great stuff, but it can't work miracles, and if the manufacturer doesn't get the construction right, it means nothing.

I have Richa Gore-Tex gloves and they still get damp, but gloves are such a complex shape and your hands move so much, I'm not sure there is such thing as 100% waterproof gloves.

I'm not sure what the technical name for the stuff Halvarssons use instead of goretex. But my jacket is absolutely fantastic. In the 2 years or so I've had it, it's never let water in. However I will admit I don't go out in torrential rain.

Spada textile jacket - not bad, quite water resistant but definitely not proof. OK as a first buy if you're after something cheap.

Stein textile trousers - cheap and rubbish.

Ixon jacket - fine so far as a summer jacket, no use in the wet I suspect.

Richa Daytona leather jacket - feels very nice, good quality. Definitely for sunny days though!

Akito winter gloves - again a budget option, not really waterproof, or hugely warm.

Akito leather sports style gloves - again cheap, but alright for warmer weather.

That's all I have so far!