After 5 years, a slight change of bike.

Throttled

After five years and 23,000 miles on the Versys 650 Touring, finally a change, but not a big one, well big in one way, the new to me bike;

34243225514_285d736679_z.jpg

34206169264_435ea654b3_z.jpg

is the bigger Versys, the 1000cc Grand Touring. I do not want to give up the benefits of the Versys, primarily its very comfy touring and ability to bomb about, commute and that versatility Kawasaki suggested with the name. I had decided and thought that a muscle bike was the next one for me. Turns out that the 1000cc Versys has the power, torque and mid range grunt the likes of the Yamaha XJR1200 has and reviews suggests in the 40 to 70mph range it out drags most bikes, period. So, I get to keep the advantages of the smaller bike and add what was missing.

I had also not realised just how much bigger than the 650cc it is. The seat is massive, great for Throttled Jnr who is growing rapidly. Finally getting a centre stand is a joy and I am looking forward to trying heated grips properly for the first time. There are also great reviews about the odd looking Givi Airflow screen and how quiet it makes the wind noise.

I rode one on a Kawasaki test day, when they first came out. The dealer was trying to get me to upgrade within months of buying the 650cc. It was in the rain, with the power setting on 3/4 and traction control full on. It seemed pointless changing then. Now it makes sense.

For any sort of two up riding or touring I will always recommend a 1000cc at least

That extra torque goes a long way to make a smoother ride especially for the pillion! none of this dancing around on the gear lever trying to find the power just twist and go

I'd be very interested in hearing your experience with it and a comparison to the 650. The 1k is on my list, but always fancied the 650 (got an ER6 instead because there was a huge price difference between the two I was looking at).

Haven't ridden one but spent at least 20 minutes pouring around it at the NEC. Very nice piece of kit. Enjoy!

How old is Throttled Jnr?

Here is Baloo Jnr, he loves the bike.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd82/colinbal4/20170414_075033_zpsmecravma.jpg

Nice colour

I have the 2017 1000GT and love it!

Unfortunately I have to wait until July when the Givi screens will be ready for the new model.

I've put a Pipe Werx end can on and sounds awesome! Highly recommend.

fca7a72f56570a24b61d43aa0c56703f.jpg

What if the whole world farted at once?

starting them young Baloo top job!

very nice throttled 8-)

He's 9, been pillion since he could reach the foot pegs, about 3 years now. This year is the first of him doing any real distance. He's done a 4 1/2 hour day this year, with about an hour at time between stops.

Haven't ridden one but spent at least 20 minutes pouring around it at the NEC. Very nice piece of kit. Enjoy!

How old is Throttled Jnr?

Here is Baloo Jnr, he loves the bike.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd82/colinbal4/20170414_075033_zpsmecravma.jpg

Throttled Jnr is now 15, he started when he was 13. He is 5' 10" now. I also go out with mate's son, where between us the bike is carrying 34 stone, which according to Kawasaki is the weight limit for the 1000cc.

I'd be very interested in hearing your experience with it and a comparison to the 650. The 1k is on my list, but always fancied the 650 (got an ER6 instead because there was a huge price difference between the two I was looking at).

When I got the 650, the 1000 had just come out and it was £5k extra for the touring. I will do a comparison, but I have already ridden a 1000 and the main difference is the engine. The seating position, ride and handling are similar.

For any sort of two up riding or touring I will always recommend a 1000cc at least

That extra torque goes a long way to make a smoother ride especially for the pillion! none of this dancing around on the gear lever trying to find the power just twist and go

I remember us having a chat about the difference between a 600(ish)cc and a 1000cc bike and you saying the 600 will do 80% of what the 1000 can do. I now want that extra 20%.