Election

MarkW

.....can we all agree though that the DUP potentially having more power in Westminster is a terrifying prospect :shock:

No , I'd of voted for em if I'd heard of em :D

Lucky I didnt get the mod gig.. any Corbyn voters would of been banned this morning :D

It comes to something when being marginally less shit than predicted is hailed as a triumph. :lol:

Yeh I know ... The twat lost however you look at it .

It is a victory. And a wonderful one at that. mayhems majority has been eroded. Corbyn has the biggest mandate he's ever had to be the Labour Party and opposition leader.

Above all else, he has proved all those nazi rags and echoing w**kers wrong. He got the youth off their arse voting. He took seats from the tories. He got the biggest vote share of any labour leader since Blair in 2001.

Oh and:

f77673c50fe9d1cefa283ace641e1e38.jpeg

940d8f3c775505c8e92647c3acfba465.jpeg

.....can we all agree though that the DUP potentially having more power in Westminster is a terrifying prospect :shock:

Let's teach creationism as a science along side that new fangled evolution. Genius 🙊. Mentalists doesn't come close to these backwards nutters. The amount of influence they now hold is worrying to say the least.

I really don't think people realise the implications this may have for normal law abiding citizens in certain areas of the UK.

The knock on effect could be catastrofic and the hard work all gone to ruin.

It is a victory. And a wonderful one at that. mayhems majority has been eroded. Corbyn has the biggest mandate he's ever had to be the Labour Party and opposition leader.

Above all else, he has proved all those nazi rags and echoing w**kers wrong. He got the youth off their arse voting. He took seats from the tories. He got the biggest vote share of any labour leader since Blair in 2001.

This is precisely what makes me despair for the Labour Party.

Corbyn spent 30 years as a complete political non-entity on the back benches, where his only achievement was winning 'Parliamentary Beard of the Year' a few times. He was only put on the leadership ballot as a joke, and his short term of leadership has been utterly shambolic. Of those canvassing Labour MPs who actually discussed Corbyn on the doorstep during the election campaign (many found him too toxic to mention by name) more than one is reported as having told undecided voters that they may as well vote Labour because they didn't have a hope in hell of winning with Corbyn at the helm. Of the dozen or so people I know who voted Labour, only two are genuine Corbyn supporters: the others just wanted to reduce May's majority but couldn't stomach voting for Farron.

Senior Labour Party members were predicting a 1930s style wipe-out, with the Conservatives tracking so far ahead of Labour that the election was a mere formality. All that changed when the manifestos were published: May's was pretty realistic and consequently thoroughly depressing, whereas Corbyn's was stuffed full of shiny enticements for the gullible and credulous: free childcare, free school meals, free university tuition, welfare, pensions, flexible train tickets for football matches... on and on it went. And people loved it. Or more accurately, people who didn't want to concern themselves with how it was going to be funded or what the implications were likely to be loved it.

Then there were the campaigns themselves. Corbyn did his bit, pressing the flesh and interacting with the punters in his amiable way as they transported him from one adoring crowd to another like a glass-cased holy relic, with mere proximity to their messiah sending them into paroxysms of ecstasy. May, by contrast, treated the electorate with utter contempt. Already unpopular with the 48% who didn't vote for Brexit she had gone on to alienate a good percentage of the 52% who did by pushing for the hardest 'out at any cost' departure. She cemented her unpopularity by making some spectacular misjudgements on social care and winter fuel allowances during her campaign, and by refusing to take part in televised debates, making her - according to one Labour MP - the most beatable Prime Minister he had ever known.

And still Corbyn lost. The fact that he did better than expected is merely a reflection of how low that bar was set. The sight of Corbyn's supporters hailing a 56 seat gulf between Labour and Conservatives as a famous victory is proof positive of their near total detachment from reality.

This is precisely what makes me despair for the Labour Party.

Corbyn spent 30 years as a complete political non-entity on the back benches, where his only achievement was winning 'Parliamentary Beard of the Year' a few times. He was only put on the leadership ballot as a joke, and his short term of leadership has been utterly shambolic. Of those canvassing Labour MPs who actually discussed Corbyn on the doorstep during the election campaign (many found him too toxic to mention by name) more than one is reported as having told undecided voters that they may as well vote Labour because they didn't have a hope in hell of winning with Corbyn at the helm. Of the dozen or so people I know who voted Labour, only two are genuine Corbyn supporters: the others just wanted to reduce May's majority but couldn't stomach voting for Farron.

Senior Labour Party members were predicting a 1930s style wipe-out, with the Conservatives tracking so far ahead of Labour that the election was a mere formality. All that changed when the manifestos were published: May's was pretty realistic and consequently thoroughly depressing, whereas Corbyn's was stuffed full of shiny enticements for the gullible and credulous: free childcare, free school meals, free university tuition, welfare, pensions, flexible train tickets for football matches... on and on it went. And people loved it. Or more accurately, people who didn't want to concern themselves with how it was going to be funded or what the implications were likely to be loved it.

Then there were the campaigns themselves. Corbyn did his bit, pressing the flesh and interacting with the punters in his amiable way as they transported him from one adoring crowd to another like a glass-cased holy relic, with mere proximity to their messiah sending them into paroxysms of ecstasy. May, by contrast, treated the electorate with utter contempt. Already unpopular with the 48% who didn't vote for Brexit she had gone on to alienate a good percentage of the 52% who did by pushing for the hardest 'out at any cost' departure. She cemented her unpopularity by making some spectacular misjudgements on social care and winter fuel allowances during her campaign, and by refusing to take part in televised debates, making her - according to one Labour MP - the most beatable Prime Minister he had ever known.

And still Corbyn lost. The fact that he did better than expected is merely a reflection of how low that bar was set. The sight of Corbyn's supporters hailing a 56 seat gulf between Labour and Conservatives as a famous victory is proof positive of their near total detachment from reality.

No.....what it demonstrates is just how thorough the MSM brainwashing was! We'll see what happens later in the year when another GE is called because the coalition of chaos fails!

No.....what it demonstrates is just how thorough the MSM brainwashing was! We'll see what happens later in the year when another GE is called because the coalition of chaos fails!

This coalition is utterly appalling. I voted for May - holding my nose and wincing as I did so - for the simple reason that the Consevatives are the only even vaguely credible government at the moment. Corbyn can't even lead his party, let alone a country, and his views are so simplistic and doctrinaire they'd have been considered anachronistic 30 years ago. He's like Michael Foot but without the intelligence or charisma.

This coalition is utterly appalling. I voted for May - holding my nose and wincing as I did so - for the simple reason that the Consevatives are the only even vaguely credible government at the moment. Corbyn can't even lead his party, let alone a country, and his views are so simplistic and doctrinaire they'd have been considered anachronistic 30 years ago. He's like Michael Foot but without the intelligence or charisma.

You vote for who you like. I voted for Corbyn because I'm sick of seeing all the tax I pay going in tax breaks for those that need it the least, while those that need the help the most are sneered at! Seeing the NHS, which my parents generation made huge sacrifices to help start, being sold off to the Tories mates makes me extremely angry! Change is needed, and the media puppets receiving their backhanders from big business are not the ones who will deliver that change!

I'm gonna leave this thread now, before I really speak my mind!

I want change too - that's why I'm so annoyed by Corbyn. I'm sick of the Tories - I dislike their policies and I loath May. The NHS may or may not be better off under Labour (let's not forget that the last Labour government wasn't behind the door at privatisation: they pumped more money in than the Tories, but they also did an immediate U-turn on their opposition to Major's PFI program when they came to power, ramping it up massively and saddling the NHS with huge and unserviceable debts). But as important an issue as the NHS is it's not the only issue, or even the most important one. And a healthy NHS is scant consolation if the rest of the country has been brought to its knees.

My last word.....about the Labour manifesto........https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/jun/03/the-big-issue-labour-manifesto-what-economy-needs

130 economists signed an open letter regarding the manifesto......but, hey, maybe we've had enough of experts?

Yes, but equally there are plenty of experts and think tanks who cautioned that Labour's figures simply don't add up. There were some fairly well-publicised holes...

Anyway, it seems to me - if I may be so presumptuous - that you and I both want more or less the same for our society. My entire family are life-long Labour voters, as is my wife's: her father has been a card-carrying party member since he was old enough to join. And every one of them has given up on Labour since Corbyn took over. Every last one. And whilst I'm more of a floating voter, nothing would have pleased me more than a Labour Party I could get behind and give the Tories a good hiding.

A Labour leader who had taken a strong stance on Brexit and who had a bit more gumption than JC would have wiped the floor with May. It was a massive open goal, and they missed it.

We'll see what happens later in the year when another GE is called because the coalition of chaos fails!

This hits the nail squarely on the head: Despite all the daft Obi wan Kenobi memes and "Jez we can!" enthusiasm of his supporters, Corbyn's best chance of success has come entirely from the bizarre political suicide of his opponent. This is the new benchmark of success for Labour, is it?

On the positive side, the knives are already out for May so we won't have to put up with her for much longer, which also raises the tantalising possibility of Boris as PM... :lol: IMG_1296.JPG.1963265b8e1418ccc7a632a7fb07f644.JPG

Good debate chaps, don't get pissed off with each other, world would be very boring if we all thought the same.

You are both right, we have no choice of leadership here as none of them are competent leaders. That's why I voted Lib Dem, I knew they had no chance of winning so Farrons capability wasn't a concern, it was better than not voting or spoiling my ballot, I actually agreed with the manifesto way more than Tory or Lab, and my conscience wouldn't let me see either May or Corbyn in power when I had helped that happen by voting for them

Can't see Boris as PM, the EU and the rest of the world really would fall about laughing. David Davis would be my bet.

Edited by Anonymous

We'd all be in a better place if Cameron had stuck it out, We'd be in an even better place if he'd never handed the kiddies the keys to the kindergarten and let them set it on fire with a bloody referendum.