Actual lessons

so yesterday I did my CBT in the stifling heat and it didn't go too well...

There were 4 people, 1 instructor (for the paddock part). We started late due to a late arrival, but cracked on with the usual stuff once it got going. To begin with in the paddock things were ok, I was slowly getting to grips with things, however, each time we were doing something we would get maybe one or two attempts and that was it. The instructor was getting slowly more frustrated with "hold ups" and towards the end the instructor realised we were getting short on time and essentially rushed us through the whole junction section. The other instructor had arrived and he needed to get us out on the road. I really wasn't comfortable at this point, but we all went out anyway after having no lunch. Roads were fine, but junctions were a mess. I'd had barely any practice and was quite frankly scared shitless and wishing it was all over.

Unsurprisingly, they didn't sign me off (I would have been worried if they did), however, this has left me with a problem...

My confidence is shot, I need actual practice time on the things that I need to focus on. Doing another CBT I feel will probably leave me in the same position, wasting 2 hrs on talking about gear and buttons, and getting in maybe 4 laps of a paddock to practice the things I need before being flung in at the deep end again to flounder.

I've looked at the bike websites for the places close to me (by close I mean within 1.5 hrs drive, rural north of England) every single one of them just does "courses". I don't want courses, I want a one to one lesson that can focus on the things I need so that I can get my confidence back and get my head around all of the info we were given. Christ, I'd be happy to pay for an entire day if I knew it would be focused on needs rather than trying to stick to a timetable and forcing people through, if I spend that entire day in a paddock doing circles that's absolutely fine...

I left yesterday badly shaken and hating bikes, however, this is something I've wanted to do for a long time and I don't want the "system" to be the thing that I abandon it all for.

When we learn to drive cars we have one to one training and focus according to our needs/deficiencies. I seem to be unable to find such a thing for bikes...

Anyone have any advice/suggestions?

First off sounds like a shit training centre so forget about them

Secondly there are good schools out there! Call the other places chat to them on the phone tell them your experience and your concerns and see what they say. You should be able to gauge how interested they are to helping you on the phone, then pop over to the one(s) you like and scope it out.

Where abouts are you, people on here may have some suggestions for good schools :thumb:

but yeah don't let this get you down, you will get there!!

cant help you with a place to go but stick at it. it doesn't sound like a very good centre. When I did mine it was a very relaxed day with plenty of time to get through everything without rushing and this included the instructor dealing with a dodgy character at the beginning who had booked on with someone else's credit card and spoke no English. I was very nervous and wanted to take it in little steps so to speak, so I did my cbt on an auto scooter (less to think about) and then did a one to one session with a school to learn gears later so maybe that would work for you?

TimR's suggestion of telling the school is a good one, and it might end up with a good outcome for less money, but equally well you might just end up with a discount on another shite CBT which isn't any better than the first. So I'd say find a better school. If you can, call in and see them and see if they're the kind of people who you'd like to spend a day with (or at least call up and chat on the phone). When you come to book, ask who will be giving the instruction, and how many people will be there.

More or less the same thing happened to my missus at her first CBT, except no-one passed, because the instructor had spent so long going over the equipment and safety stuff, they didn't even get to sit on a bike until after lunch. The test ride never took place.

For her second CBT she went to a different school where it was a lot more relaxed and friendly. She had to go through the equipment stuff again, which was a bit frustrating. She still didn't pass, as she was nervous and took her time to get into it, and they didn't think she was ready for the road ride, but they found a spare bloke who watched over her while she bimbled about on the training area while the others were out on the ride, so she got some good time on the bike. She went back to the same place for a third go, which she did ok at, and IIRC they were pretty relaxed about making her go through the over equipment thing for a third time. :)

cant help you with a place to go but stick at it. it doesn't sound like a very good centre. When I did mine it was a very relaxed day with plenty of time to get through everything without rushing and this included the instructor dealing with a dodgy character at the beginning who had booked on with someone else's credit card and spoke no English. I was very nervous and wanted to take it in little steps so to speak, so I did my cbt on an auto scooter (less to think about) and then did a one to one session with a school to learn gears later so maybe that would work for you?

I think the problem is that I'm having difficulty finding places that will do one to one. I'd love proper lessons but everywhere near me seems to focus on pushing for day courses to get you through the tests and little else. Looks like I am going to have to do a lot of calling around.

I'd been avoiding going on a scooter as I have it stuck in my head that the left lever is a brake and didn't want to reinforce that ;) Perhaps that may be a way forward though.

As others have said, I'd be looking for another school, and finding one that sounded like they cared about getting me through the CBT. Calling up other places, telling them broadly what's happened and seeing how they react/what they suggest would be a good way of gauging their approach.

I think most places will generally aim for 2-to-1 tuition, and that's what I had for my CBT and all through the DAS. I always found that fine, but 4-to-1 is clearly ridiculous, especially when you're only just starting. I also found the personality of the instructor was really important, and finding one you get on with can really help.

It may take longer than going back to the first place, but it's important to do it right and feel happy and confident at the end. Above all, don't let it get you down, and don't give up!

I think most places will generally aim for 2-to-1 tuition, and that's what I had for my CBT and all through the DAS. I always found that fine, but 4-to-1 is clearly ridiculous, especially when you're only just starting. I also found the personality of the instructor was really important, and finding one you get on with can really help.

To add to the above, you will do better in a two-to-one environment with a good instructor than you will one-on-one with a bad one. Someone who does not inspire your confidence, or even gets impatient with you, will not help even if you have their undivided attention.

And whatever you do in the mean time, you will end up having to retake the CBT anyway.

So do not get too caught up on individual training as being most important, but make the quality of the instructor your priority. Look online for recommendations, try speaking to them first to see how you feel. Do you know anyone who rides that you could ask for recommendations? Hopefully not at the same school you used!

Some schools offer a pre-CBT, which is just time doing exercises on the bike without the pressure of having to complete specific activities. That sounds like it would be better for you if you feel that, even with a better instructor, you will not be able to complete the CBT without the extra experience first.

If you are willing to travel a bit. I would highly recommend Bumpy in Birstall west yorks.

Ask to speak to Caroline.

Tell her your concerns and how you would like to progress.

I'm using an instructor in Northallerton any good?

And a recommendation for one that is apparently very good serving skipton keighly area

Skipton would be closer than Northallerton, would love the details!

If you are willing to travel a bit. I would highly recommend Bumpy in Birstall west yorks.

Ask to speak to Caroline.

Tell her your concerns and how you would like to progress.

Thanks for this. The setup looks perfect, however, it is a fair distance, I may well consider it though

I'm using an instructor in Northallerton any good?

And a recommendation for one that is apparently very good serving skipton keighly area

Skipton would be closer than Northallerton, would love the details!

I'm near Ripon and I asked around when I was looking to start learning and got this chap recommended:

http://www.ridesafe.net/about_ridesafe.html

Looking at the website it looks like he takes the bikes in a van to wherever needed. Prices look good.

I went with Pete Mason in Northallerton partly on the basis of him being ex-police instructor/top rated/etc and partly because going that way is much easier for me than heading Bradford/skipton way.

I did my CBT with an instructor on a 4 to 1 basis. We more or less just jumped on the bikes. Learned basic control, ie speed up slightly, slow down slightly and stop. then he slowly introduced gears and mouvers. 2 would do one manouver over and over again on one side of the playground and the other 2 would practice other manouvers on the other. Yes 4 to 1 sounds a lot but i felt he managed it well. Looked for what area's needed improving on, and I felt that went quite well.

After lunch he took two out on the road whom he felt was most confident. and left the other 2 to keep practicing manouvers.

So dont be put off if its not a 1 to 1, you can find decent schools out there whom can still give you the care and attention you need.

You'll get there eventually. Just take your time.

I did my CBT with an instructor on a 4 to 1 basis. We more or less just jumped on the bikes. Learned basic control, ie speed up slightly, slow down slightly and stop. then he slowly introduced gears and mouvers. 2 would do one manouver over and over again on one side of the playground and the other 2 would practice other manouvers on the other. Yes 4 to 1 sounds a lot but i felt he managed it well. Looked for what area's needed improving on, and I felt that went quite well.

After lunch he took two out on the road whom he felt was most confident. and left the other 2 to keep practicing manouvers.

So dont be put off if its not a 1 to 1, you can find decent schools out there whom can still give you the care and attention you need.

You'll get there eventually. Just take your time.

from the way you have explained it

Sounds ok in in part but you have to question his operation as legally :

. There’s a maximum number of learners to instructors

4 learners per trainer for on-site parts

2 learners per trainer for on-road parts

Which he complied with but he had 4 students but being 1 instructor he could only take 2 out from the start ...

So hmmm sorry you have to come back on another date for two of them at x price

Or was there another instructor available but the students were not at a suitable level ?

I assume the two left behind to practice manoeuvres would instead go out on the road when the instructor gets back.

That is how it was when I first completed the CBT. There were two instructors in the morning for the stuff on the yard, but then only one went on the road whilst the other, I think, had an appointment with a DAS client.

I have no idea what the other two did as I was in the first pair to go out, but when we got back we received our paperwork and went home whilst the other two then went off for their road training.

sorry maybe I could have been clearer,

Yeah when he got back from taking the first two out, he'd sign them off if they passed and then he'd take the remaining two out on the road for their part, of the on road training.