Lancashire to Hamburg

Oasis

Hi TMBFers!

I've decided to ride over to Hamburg to see some family out there. Leaving mid July.

I finish work on the Friday at 18:00 and want to get there by Saturday evening, to meet my wife who is flying out. Returning Tuesday.

Now, the ferrys where always my preferred option. But for a couple of days away, it's too bloody expensive! £350 return from Hull or New Castle. Apart from Horwich, which is about £150. But the latest departure is 23:00 and I won't make it in time. Next departure is 09:00 Saturday morning but would make it towards midnight before I got there.

So, at £88 return, it's the Euro tunnel. But a lot more riding miles. Which is good, just wanted to avoid the French!

I'm traveling to Rugby Friday night, staying the night with family then down to folkestone Saturday morning.

Any tips?

Rugby to Hamburg is 670 miles... and you want to do that in a day? and then back to Lancs... 800+ miles. in a day? this done over a 4 day period.

Have you ever done anything like this before? this is real endurance riding.. with the potential to be dangerously tired. all motorway.. eek.

I would fly.

Up to you mate, but I don't think I'd rush to sign to up mile after mile of flat, dull, northern Europe. It's the very gate of biker Hell.

http://i.imgur.com/66wSZKj.png

When I was in The Army I commuted every weekend from Bordon to Detmold/Bielefeld.

In the car admittedly, Hamburg is a few hours further North but just about do-able I'd think,

You won't be able to mess about or get held up though!

Don't disagree with your conclusion on ferries, but Calais to Hamburg is a days riding, so Rugby is too early for your overnight stop. Look for a Formula 1 motel near Calais, arrive there early hours of the morning, have a bit of a lie in Saturday and set off mid morning, arriving in Hamburg for dinner time.

Take Friday off work , give yourself more time to enjoy the ride , stop where you want for a coffee etc, plan a route , your going to be flying up motorways in a rush to get there .... that's my advice :thumb:

Take Friday off work , give yourself more time to enjoy the ride , stop where you want for a coffee etc, plan a route , your going to be flying up motorways in a rush to get there .... that's my advice :thumb:

Very true, might as well be enjoyable or the bike is just the wrong from of transport when you'd have been better taking a plane.

Done similar

As said if can carve out more time than do

but just splash and dash

All stops at petrol stations./rest areas

Fill up ,hydrate and eat ,if dry lie flat out for 10 mins on the tarmac and then crack on till the next fuel stop :thumb:

Well what's a few O's and a few less A's between forum members.....

The trip is sadly off. My father inlaw died yesterday so we have a lot to sort out. Next year hopefully, with more time off.