Dilema... Views/opinions appreciated

TC1474

I am in a bit of a quandary and I have concluded that it is something that I may be better off getting a different opinon/view on the matter from a different perspective.

I am a founder member from 30+ years ago of an advanced driving and riding group. It is quite a large group.

For many years I did all the lecture sessions on Roadcraft, I advised tutors (both car and bike) sat on the committee, but time contraints meant that I could not give it the attention it required or deserved and so after about 10 years or so, I stood down but I was always on hand to offer advice if and when required, and I was given honourary life membership of the group.

Subsequently, over the years I have gone back as guest speaker, but this weekend I received an email from the president of the group saying that the current chairperson was stepping down in September, would I be prepared to consider being put forward or considered as the new chairman of the group.

I am very flattered obviously, but the more I think about it, the more I think that to accept the offer to even be put forward would be wrong even though I do now have more time on my hands.

I have not been active in the group for a long time.

There are members and committee members who have been not only active but given up a lot of time to promote the group who are probably more deserving.

My appointment could cause a lot of animosity amongst members who may not be aware of my history or background with the group even though from what I am aware I would be the first chairman qualified on both cars as well as bikes..

There are other potential issues that might arise if I were to accept the nomination.

So what would be your views?

Say to hell with it and just accept the nomination and see what happens?

Just say thank you for being considered but gracefully decline the offer?

Anything that I may have overlooked or not considered given my very brief explanation above.

Views and comments appreciated

Do what you believe to be right. There will always be those who believe what you've done is wrong, there's no point trying to please everyone, it's impossible. The first person you need to satisfy in life is you, after that your wife and your kids, beyond that, everyone else can like your decisions or lump them.

From this bit

"would I be prepared to consider being put forward or considered as the new chairman of the group."

Being put forward, does this mean the group has a vote on the new chair?

If it is a vote and you have the time and passion for the position then go for it and it will then be the decision of the members based on the resume that each candidate puts forward.

If it is a straight invitation then reading between the lines in your post I get the feeling it is something you are not fully comfortable in. If that is the case it may be best to say thanks but no thanks but keep in touch with the occasional guest speaker.

Just my pennies worth.

So one question to ask yourself is, if you've not been involved in the group for a while, even though lately you've had the time available to do so, then why would you want to devote the time to being its chairman?

I have chaired various groups including being appointed to the most significant position in a local club containing people with more experience and years of membership than myself. So I think I can understand your concerns.

My take is that if there are members and committee members who would be qualified then in any form of election process they can be nominated and people can vote for them. It is very hard to find people to stand for office these days so maybe they are sitting on their hands not wanting to offer their time/skills/energy. It is possible your nomination may prompt one of them to stand. If they do - or don't - it's a fair vote and they have the opportunity to nominate other candidates if they've got an issue with you standing.

If you feel you can contribute to the group set out your stall - let the members decide.

The skills of being chair are different from the skills of being a committee member. There may be a job that needs doing which needs someone outside of the current committee. That was certainly the case with one chairmanship I took on. I made it clear I would do a set period then step down - which focused energy into resolving issues which had festered for years.

:stupid:

If you want to do it then crack on.

Who cares if others [strikeout]do a Rantmanchine[/strikeout] throw their toys out.

I must have severely missed a thread. :shock:

Who cares if others [strikeout]do a Rantmanchine[/strikeout] throw their toys out.

Please or please some one pm me n tell me what's happened to Rant...lol

It's obvious that with your experience, knowledge and past relationship with the group that you'd be an excellent chairperson, were you to put a little time to it. Don't worry about the feelings of others at all. Instead consider the question as to whether you want to do it. If you do, go for it a shame I'm sure any muttering will clear up very quickly once they realise your wisdom and eloquence on the subjects at hand.

In perspective, I am treasurer of a community project, I actually didn't want to do it but I took it because I was needed. I genuinely dislike it and every comment about it now sets my teeth on edge. This is a shame because it used to be a joy to me, something where I knew I was doing good and truly enjoyed being an active member rather than an officer. I'm an excellent treasurer but I bloody hate it and there's no one else I can saddle with this burden at the moment on what Is an annual appointment.

Do not let this happen! If you want to do it, or if you think you'll enjoy it, give it a crack, but don't let something you've always enjoyed being on the periphery of become a chore for you.

You should decide solely on whether you want to.

Don't let others opinions influence the choice you make.

I appreciate your stance is more thinking of others rather than worrying what they think, but still. If you want to do it, then do it.

Without doubt the most qualified and will definitely bring more value than anyone else.

So what would be your views?

Views and comments appreciated

Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

Into a bitchfest maelstrom ..

dare say you`ve been there before and could do so again .. but honestly can you be bothered .. is there a void in your life to fill .. cos this is gonna need some space in your life... other wise fit you flack jacket :lol:

What the Rossi fanboy said! 8-)

i can tell you what didn't happen to him :D

Its a bit late for you to be picking arguments old lad. :booty:

i can tell you what didn't happen to him :D

Ey up.

Other ones at it now :lol:

I think I'd want to know more about the current situation.

Being chair of any organisation is a specific role with specific responsibilities.

Why has the president approached you given you've had minimal recent involvement?

Are they struggling to find someone to take on the role?

Are there any politics (personal or organisational) that come into play?

Is the approach from the president a personal one or backed by others?

It may well be that you are simply the obvious person to take it on, but if you are interested it would probably be a good idea to sound out a few other members - is there going to be someones nose put out of joint? Are there any hidden agendas?

I dont know how big/official this group is, but are there issues / deliverables that need sorting?