[Guide] How to remove/install 33bhp carburetor restriction

Decor58

OK so my 2 year restriction runs out a week today and I was in a procrastinating mood. So since I only have 1 essential journey to make between now and then, I decided to have a go at removing the retrictor myself.

In theory this is a 1-2 hours job which the garage would happily charge me £150 for, it took me 6 hours :oops: Although 4 of them was trying to do a job that should take 5 mins!!! :evil:

Anyway, I thought I'd share my experience as well as some highly recommended tips that should hopefully save you 4 or more hours.

The bike is question is a '95 GSX 600 F, though the engine is virtually the same as that in a bandit and the method can be applied to most carb restricted bikes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, first step remove the seat and all the front fairing, and it would be helpful to remove the rear, but not essential. Then you need to remove the tank.

To do this, remove the two bolts just in front of the battery and pull fuel pipes off (remove the clips first), there should be three, one either side of the switch and one behind. Then lift the tank slightly and pull the rubber pipe off the fuel gauge device and then the only thing left should be the electrical wires, if you can follow them to the other end, disconnect them and take the tank off completely, if not you'll have to find something to rest the tank on next to the bike, I used and old style waste bin.

One thing you should not do is move the tank backwards, which I came very close to finding out the hard way. It turns out if you put a metal tank full of a flammable liquid near a battery terminal it is likely to spark and if you're really unlucky blow up. I was luck and it didn't blow up but I did have to go and make a cuppa once I realised what happened!!!

Anyway you then remove the bar between the battery and air box as shown below, then the air box itself. To remove the air box, you just need to undo the jubilee clips between the air box and carbs. Then lift it up and then if you have a drainage pipe underneath, disconnect that.

While you have the air box off, this could also be a good time to clean your air filter!!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/decor58/1.jpg

Now then depending on your bike, there will be a washer one side of the carbs or the other, if it's the air box side, then you should now be facing the offensive washer (also known as a restrictor). If not then you should see something like the picture below.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/decor58/3.jpg

Removing the carbs themselves, is a similar process, loosen all four jubilee clips and pull, don't be afraid to use a bit of force, engine are relatively tough things, especially these suzuki engine, they're good stuff! Once they're off you should now be confronted by 4 gigantic washers with annoyingly small holes (not shown in the picture below, but in the one below that!)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/decor58/4.jpg

The picture below shows two carbs with the restrictor in and one without. Simply pull the things out all four holes!!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/decor58/5.jpg

And the offending items themselves

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/decor58/6.jpg

To put it back together, you would think it would be simply the reverse, yet some how it took me 5 hours longer :roll:

So here is my biggest tip for reassembling the bike.

Instead of attaching the carbs and then the air box, attach the air box to the carbs, then attach them as one unit to the bike. This took me 4 hours to figure out, I simply could not get the air box to go onto the carbs while they way on the bike. As such the air box did get flung across the garden many times :lol:

Anyway, the rest is very simply the reverse, however you should take care to note which rubber pipes go where and how they attach and are routed around the bike.

Over all, it is quite an easy job, as long as you can get the damned air box back on!!!!