Bandit 600 MKI hot starting issue

argentum40

After any tips or advice on the this issue. Basically the bike starts everytime when cold or warm but when up to temp its a cow to start, it tries but wont catch then for no obvious reason it will just burst into life..

Never had a bike do this before so qbit stumped

compression is worth a check too.

Once the engine is upto temp, the cylinder has fully expanded, worn piston rings wont expand enough to comprensate..

causing in a very hard to start engine

Thanks for replies lads... Ok its just been serviced with new plugs, filters and oil, the coils could be a possibilty although they wouldnt cool down much in a couple of minutes i wouldnt have thought but wont rule them out..

Plugs are a good colour according to the manual and theres no blue smoke.. Does use abit of oil but not alot..

Fuel starvation is possible as well and the easiest to sort ( i think).. What would you check lads?

If it's running fine when started it doesn't sound like fuel starvation... When cold the bike usually has the choke on which richens the mixture right up.

On an old CBR600F I had, if it was hot, it would struggle to start and need to be left for a few minutes. But this was just because that was how it was... Mechanics even said it might be a bugger as very hot engine vaporises fuel very well... Often too well!

I wondered as if you watch a temp gauge on some bikes right after shutting them off, the heat increases often beyond the point of when the fan comes on. Air cooled engines shut off when too hot, as the temps halt operation... Could the same not be said about water cooled bikes if after shutting them off the residual heat in the cylinder caused it to heat up beyond its normal operational temps. Thus meaning it needs a few minutes to cool down?

Yeah, they all have vacuum operated fuel taps. When I say fuel starvation, I mean not enough fuel being mixed with air in the carbs caused by heat. Didn,t the mk.1 600 have carb heaters?

You won't get carb icing in the weather!

Fuel evaporation could be a reason though

Stu did you mean to say, in the hot weather ?

I did, the wee sensor on top of the airbox wasn't working so the carb heaters didn't kick in, I had to give it some beans before it happened tbh but then it wouldn't hot start for about 5 or so mins, it was summer too

Alan not sure if the mk1 600s had heaters either, my sk1 1200 did but I dunno,,,