Front light not working on my ZZR600

Phooey

Guys ... I don't ride my bike everyday, as much as I'd love to, the weather just does not permit. Today I thought I would start her up and let her run a bit to keep the battery alive and to check over general condition more than anything else. So I started her - fired up no problem- but the front light doesn't work. Lo nor Hi beam! The back light works fine and all other electrics seem to be OK.

Is this just a simple bulb change? If so how do I do it or am I looking at a bigger problem?

thanks guys.

Mate, I love my zzr... but coming to changing things on it, it's a bloody pig.

Light bulbs are ok, but still gotta go from underneath, taking fairing off. My light didn't work,(was new) was a simple twisted wire somehow, but managed tix its self.

WHOAA there cowboy.

Very unusual for high beam and low beam to both go together, they are separate filaments whether it's one or two bulbs makes no odds.

Spray some WD40 on the light on off switch and flick it on and off a few times, it is probably corrosion on the switch contacts caused by not being used and it being damp.

My flash button stopped working and I had to strip it and clean the green yuck off the contacts from inside the switch.

WHOAA there cowboy.

Very unusual for high beam and low beam to both go together, they are separate filaments whether it's one or two bulbs makes no odds.

Spray some WD40 on the light on off switch and flick it on and off a few times, it is probably corrosion on the switch contacts caused by not being used and it being damp.

My flash button stopped working and I had to strip it and clean the green yuck off the contacts from inside the switch.

but the front light doesn't work. Lo nor Hi beam! The back light works fine and all other electrics seem to be OK. No front lights at all he said Mate!

^ +1 it won't hurt to check the fuse, its a nice simple job. Do the easy ones first and work your way up to the more complex or time consuming ones.

As Chris said, its unlikely for both high and low beam bulbs (or filaments if its a dual filament bulb) to blow at once.

As for bulb choices, I can vouch for osams, they are nice and bright!

xeon's are illegal on motorcycles

xeon's are illegal on motorcycles

Are they illegal? Technically they're lower wattage than the OEM 50/55W bulbs we all use...

yes they are

they arent made for reflector headlights they are for projectors plus you need self leveling and headlight washers!

its been done to death on here

although I think the OP might be on about bulbs marketed as having xenon gas in them and not actually HID headlights

Ok guys ... I apologise for being so dumb but I have NEVER done any maintenance on a bike before.

So, I managed to get my hand up under the fairing and alongside the forks and with a bit of a struggle I managed to locate what I believe might be the electric plug on the back of the lamp. I managed to pull it off and I could feel a rubber cap sort of thing behind the plug.

Does it sound like I am in the right place? If so, do I disconnect the plug, pull off the rubber cap and what? Of course I will have to rely totally on feel. I so prefer to see what I am doing!

Removing the fairing is looking a bit scary for me at this stage. I worry about removing stuff that I can't get back on properly! :oops: I have ordered a Haynes manual in the hope that some fear might abate!

Hi Mate yes your on the right track, pull off the plug then remove the rubber shroud, you the will see a spring clip you squeeze the tails together to open the clip you can then remove the lamp. fit new lamp in reverse order taking care not to touch the glass of the lamp with you fingers grease from your fingers will induct heat and quickly blow the lamp.

This link should be of help even though it not your bike

">

Chris

Yes, sorry Chris is right, I doubt it is bulb as both have gone, but I missed the fact you said rear lights are on, this means not light switch or they wouldn't work either. I would be checking wiring that goes to the lights, check the plug connector is on the bulb properly etc.