Lexmoto street non starter

Ryoni32

Hello there all I have a lexmoto street 125 2010 bike with less than 1000 miles on clock. I cannot get this thing to start. I had to put new ignition barrel on it as keys had been lost. Turn key all electrics come on fine. Push start button engine turning over fine but no spark. Changed plug changed ignition coil changed cdi unit. Still no spark. The kill switch doesn't do anything, on or off engine still turns over with start button. Any ideas would be much appreciated guys n girls

If the engine turns over with the kill switch off this is not normal so maybe the fault is with the switch or the circuit .

If the engine turns over with the kill switch off this is not normal so maybe the fault is with the switch or the circuit .

Yeah should not turn over at all with kill switch off.

Could be a hard one to diagnose as could be a simple loose / shorted wire or a trashed wiring loom.

I'd get a decent manual and start going through your starting circuit, I wouldn't expect much wiring for it.

Okipoke il start looking into that I got a Haynes manual for Chinese motorbikes. Don't think there is one for this specific bike though got wiring diagram of similar bikes in it cheers guys

Would be great starting point still. Sorry don't know your expertise with wiring so don't mean to teach you to suck eggs.

First things you want to be checking are no wire breaks (continuity each end) no shorts (no continuity to any other wire or ground that shouldn't be connected) and then same thing with switches on and off.

Was bike 2nd hand? Wouldn't be surprised if had starting issues before and someone has bodged a fix, if so look for any 'repairs' to the wiring.

Had spare hour this morning disconnected the start button n killswitch then popped some wires in connecters in its place to see if it was switches themselves, but nope still turned over with no spark. I can tell gonna lose what hair I have left over this lol

I have few years tinkering with bikes gotta learn how to use multimeter mind. I'm second owner bike was given to me as a lady partner had left her n signed v5 over to her but she didn't want it. She said he couldn't get it to start he was first owner from a dealer going by v5 doc. So far can't see any cuts or breakages to wiring. It had sat in her garden for 5 months think she said. Got new battery in it also I should add. I've ordered sidestand switch for it as that is missing from it as in unplugged will see if that has any affect. Only visible damage to bike was rust on left foot peg rear left indicator was hanging off. N rusty left side swing arm IMG_20180408_153602.thumb.jpg.9509df08efcd9888e7160724fd1f0208.jpgIMG_20180408_153602.thumb.jpg.9509df08efcd9888e7160724fd1f0208.jpg

Side stand switch could cause starting issues but normally no turn over, that said if it is turning over with kill switch off maybe circuit cutting starter is shorted but still cutting power to spark.

You can bypass side stand easily enough just by shorting it (paper clip / wire in both pins of plug) worth a test doing that.

Its Worth mentioning that When you add a new ignition barrel on my bike you have to add a 100k resistor to a specific wire if its not an original item

This is a security Immobiliser that the pattern parts don't take into account

It has the same symptoms you describe

You stuck wires in the connection but maybe its not supposed to start if the circuit is closed , maybe it starts when the circuit is open .

Well had new sidestand switch arrive today as that was missing now getting spark n it started up. Killswitch still does nothing at the moment. Just charging battery as that run down a bit now

Well had new sidestand switch arrive today as that was missing now getting spark n it started up. Killswitch still does nothing at the moment. Just charging battery as that run down a bit now

I'll say kill switch probably been an issue in past and been bypassed instead of replaced which was affecting side stand kill as well.

To be fair depends how important it is to you, if side stand switch still kills spark it will still work and plenty of bikes out there without kill switches.

Also could just be the switch itself has broken and jammed on in which case would just need replacing.

Very Odd it turned over

There are normally 2 kill circuits, spark and starter, kill switches should then kill both by sounds of it the starter circuit not being killed and staying energised but still killing spark.

One other problem didn't think about in last post which may cause an issue is starting in gear, may not fire up but would probably still turn over so be careful with that!

Well run on choke choke off slow stumble idle give it rev bogs out dies

How old is fuel? Drain carb float chamber as well see condition of fuel that comes out.

Tbh the fuel is probably fine it lasts longer than people think but may have got contaminated, from experience had exactly same issue with my max 2 (very similar bike) recently which was water contaminated fuel.

Simple fix of drain and clean carb, depending how likely water in tank still then drain tank as well and some fresh fuel.

Was dirty rusty colour petrol that came out of tank swished it out with new petrol seems to be idling bit better still bogging out under throttle think take carb apart n give that all good clean

If rusty color then more than likely water in it too so I'd dump what's in tank as otherwise once carb cleaned you'll be dumping dirty petrol straight back in.

Nice clean fuel and cleaned carb should do the job and cheap fix :thumb: