RDGA

Pie man

I last rode the RDGA back in 2006, and back then I took my CBR600. However I can't remember how frequent the manned fuel stations were, there must have been enough :shock: . I'm planning to go back in 2020 on the MT07, now the RDGA is approx 420mls so I will need to fill up at least twice, I'm sure petrol stations will be a plenty, but will they most probably be automated/unmanned. I'm unsure if the UK credit or switch card would work, anyone been and had the pleasure recently :?

You rode the what? :scratch:

Google strongly suggests Rochester District Golf Association but deep, deep down the results, on page 2, it mentions Routes De Grand Alps which is perhaps more likely https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_des_Grandes_Alpes

Visa and mastercard are pretty universal. Otherwise all I can suggest is putting the route into Google maps, search petrol along the way, Google said stations to see what facilities.

Ah yes the "Route Des Grande Alpes" a popular motorcycle route from Thonon-les-Bains to Menton. It was a while since I was last there, I recall when using UK cards it was a hit and miss affair, I see there are plenty of fuel stations, however many are automated due to the locations. I suppose many of the larger towns will have the usual, more popular branded and manned stations, however the distance between those towns might stretch my fuel economy riding capabilities, especially over the Col's. :mrgreen:

Automated petrol stations are fine as long as you use the right cards. Automated stations automatically authorise 100€ so a lot of cards restrict usage in automated petrol stations. I take a Fair FX card (not for petrol) and a Halifax Clarity credit card ( no fees for European transaction) for use in petrol stations. Works fine.

Most prepaid cards don't allow use in automated petrol station because they authorise 100€ per time so that's 100€ you cannot use for 10 days so if you fill up 3 or 4 times that's 3 or 4 hundred euros off of your balance for 10 days.

Never had a problem anywhere in Europe nor anywhere else for that matter with a bog standard Barclaycard Visa. Used it for just about anything and everything. Admittedly in the sticks in some parts of Europe you sometimes need cash in which case the nearest ATM comes into play.

I have also never had a problem with any credit card but most of them including Barclaycard charge for non sterling transactions at about £4 a go. Some cards have free non sterling transactions, Halifax Clarity is one.

A little research has lead me to believe that since the introduction of chip and pin card it has become easier, however not all French petrol stations (back in the day) were quick on the uptake to upgrade their machines. However I am now lead to believe there shouldn't be a problem :D

However "Not all one reads upon the internet has truth in it" ....William Shakespeare :mrgreen:

I never offer advice unless I know it to be true and verified from official sources :thumb:

You don't half spout some crap though! :lol:

Halifax do a zero charge card for using abroad (I think it's called Clarity).

I use Revolut https://www.revolut.com/ card for all my international transactions, but it wont work at french petrol stations (pay at pump) and EasyJet wont accept it onboard the plane (but i can pay them in sterling).

I started using it here in the UK for daily spending too because the phone app is good for seeing your spending.

I never offer advice unless I know it to be true and verified from official sources :thumb:

Eyup, Keep up :mrgreen:

I use Revolut https://www.revolut.com/ card for all my international transactions, but it wont work at french petrol stations (pay at pump) and EasyJet wont accept it onboard the plane (but i can pay them in sterling).

I started using it here in the UK for daily spending too because the phone app is good for seeing your spending.

So I take it dont need to apply for a totally useless for touring Revolut card :thumb: :lol:

no doubt it has its uses :)

Eyup, Keep up :mrgreen:

Ha! Oh yeah, well there you go, independent verification!

My other point is still valid...

So I take it dont need to apply for a totally useless for touring Revolut card :thumb: :lol:

no doubt it has its uses :)

If all you buy is petrol from prepaid pumps and food from easyJet, I'd hardly call that touring!!

Revolut gives you real bank accounts in multiple currencies so if you know you're going to a specific country and expect the exchange rates to move against you, you can load up your account in the local currency before the FX rates move.

Or you can just use it to spend close to the current interbank spot rate with zero fees and no massive spreads like most zero fee cards charge..

I loaded my EUR and DKK accounts up with cash a few months back before GBP dropped so when in Denmark or Euro zone I can spend at the exchange rate as it was a few months back instead of today. I was in Switzerland last month so moved money from one of my other accounts to my CHF account as the rate was better than from GBP to CHF. And I was in Portugal and Spain last week spending money from my Revolut EUR account and saved money using the exchange rate from a few months ago instead of the current pathetically low GBP/EUR exchange rate.

I also use my Revolut USD account for payments to US companies. Again making use of favourable exchange rates and zero fees.

Lots of other benefits too. Worth a look